No Originality Brigade 299 members · 1,135 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
hailspider
Group Admin

I'm posting about it here in case you don't obsessively check this group's front page.

Story Removal Policy
Ask nicely and we'll check it out. Ask rudely, and no.
The "Set Featured" button is there for a reason.
Backed up by a site mod:

This is going to be so much easier for me now.

I think I should post this on the Badfic Bin group.

hailspider
Group Admin
Comment posted by Iseeyou deleted May 27th, 2015

4410197 Pst, read the original post.

4410241 Alright... Well I'm out of luck aren't I?

So, I'm one of those Displaced authors. And my fic is now one of the many you have added. Personally I would like to ask to have it removed as I believe it gives people the wrong idea when it comes to Displaced fics. I agree with you that the concept is not that original, but there are also many different ways people try to distinguish their own Displaced fics. When mine got placed in this group I got worried that it might give the impression that I'm not trying to distinguish my story, yet it is something I am trying to do. I believe I have some unique elements, one of them being the young age of the MC.

The story I want removed is "The lone spark".

hailspider
Group Admin

4521321 Yeah, I'm not removing it. While you did ask politely, it still doesn't seem all that original.

Also, while I'm at it, your writing style could use some work. While I didn't see any actual errors, the sentences just don't flow. (An example: "What the mother didn't notice was the fact that her son..." could easily be truncated to "She didn't notice that her son...". Your way is far too unnecessarily verbose, especially since you don't use pronouns all that frequently and instead just state a character's name or role.)
This is just some friendly advice, please don't take it too personally.

4521574 Nah, it's cool. But I would like to know a bit more exactly what it is that made you think this story was so unoriginal?

hailspider
Group Admin

4521613 It takes an overused (and usually not very creatively used) crossover idea (merging MLP with Pokemon) and combines it with another overused idea, the cosplay fanfic.
The atypically young protagonist (who isn't an obvious self insert or idealized variant thereof for once) is pretty much all this has going for it.

4521644 Okay, I guess the pokémon idea is overused. But to be honest, there's not an infinite amount of material out there. For one, my idea was not really to involve too many pokémon into the story. The only pokémon would be Caesar himself, and he only has them as his Displaced powers. The whole thing is merely an excuse to give him a very specific skill set . Not much pokémon otherwise. And if you really wish to go down on the overused Displaced theme, consider all the Displaced stories that begin with the MC encased in stone and the CMC freeing them or Discord who in turn frees them. That, is unoriginal.

To be completely honest I am irritated and a bit angry about the fact that out of all possible Displaced fics, mine is the one to end up here. I do not deny the unoriginality of it being a Displaced fic, but want to point out it isn't really a pokémon fic as much as a fic about someone having gained Pikachu powers being a Pikachu fan. So if anything, it's more of a Pikachu story.

And what I'd say annoys me the most is this part: "No originality brigade".
I mean, really? Has nothing I've written in that story been original at any point? The MC's name, his age or the unusual lack of equine contact for a new Displaced?

I just think it's a little harsh to say that absolutely nothing in my story is original at all.

hailspider
Group Admin

4521689 I actually never thought of how the group's name implies that the stories within don't even have a little bit of originality.

4522001 Well, I hope you understand my worry about my story having been branded with such a group. The brony/pegasister community is a rather calm and accepting one. There are however exceptions and some are rather judgmental and easily jump to conclusions. Having been a mere reader myself for quite some time, I know how easy it is to judge a book by it's cover, description, like/dislike rating and associated groups.

With time I of course learned you can't trust them all and how deceiving looks can be, but many have yet to do so. I am sure you do not wish to try and make people not read my fic intentionally, but I am afraid that it might just be the effect it is causing. I'm sure you can see the reason I am requesting for my story to be removed from this group.

I also thank you for being understanding and taking your time listening to me.

4521644 you mind removing The Untamable King?

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

To be completely honest I am irritated and a bit angry about the fact that out of all possible Displaced fics, mine is the one to end up here.

:unsuresweetie: What makes you think it's the only one in this group?

You do know you can just edit the story's "Featured In" list and remove this group's name from public view, right?

I may not be an admin in this group, but if I were running things, I'd be asking you for reasons why you think it should be removed...

4522136 it's not a displaced fic which was why I think it ended up here

Elric of Melnipony
Group Contributor

Not sure what you're trying to say -- lots of stuff ends up in this group, not just examples of the 94,000,000 "displaced" fics out there.

But at least I can tell you I didn't add it. I hadn't seen it before looking at your profile just now...

4522192 This isn't an anti-displaced group. I've seen your story, and I'm guessing it was placed here because it's a crossover with Jurassic Park. Crossovers in general are not exactly loved on this site, especially not in this group.

4522203 oh yeah probably it wasn't the only one since the movie come out, however I still don't feel it doesn't belong here,
4522199 there only 700 at best

4522213 I didn't mean just because of the movie coming out, I was referring to crossovers like this in general. Most crossovers like this, where they send a terrifying being from one show into MLP, have one of two plots. A) Creature kills a lot and it has to be stopped, or B) hijinks ensue. I haven't personally read your story, but that may be why it's here.:applejackunsure:

4522220 to be fair its kinda lot that though I'm using Discord as the cause of the dinosaurs.

4522220 I don't want to spoil it so I have to PM you about it

4522136 I did not actually know that.

And my story is the only Displaced fic I have actually seen in this group...

3820469 Story: I Will Never Love You
So did whoever add it read the story or just add it based on the title and description? 'Cause I have this in the A/N:

It's not meant to be taken too seriously. I would describe it as a parody of happy-go-lucky second person fics but with a serious tone. I never expected this story to end up as heavy as it is, and I think that will cause people to miss the purpose of this story.
In short, it's a response to second person fics rather than one in itself. When I say "response," I don't mean I'm mocking them. I'm commenting on the typical scenario most have.

It's not that it's unoriginal, it's that it's a play on unoriginal fics. I don't know if that counts, but a response would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dragonborne Fox
Group Contributor

3820469 Hey, imgur blacklisted us; you might wanna host the screencap of El Dorado's PM thingy on something like imgbox.

hailspider
Group Admin
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30