The Sirens 1,346 members · 1,184 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

After seeing the endless of Rainbow Rocks, I have to call BS on what happened to The Dazzlings. If their vocal chords really are their gems, then shouldn't they take much more precaution into keeping them safe? And even if it's not the case, how can a fractured pendant possibly ruin your voice? I mean, yes, it does take away their ability to siphon hatred, but I don't really think that they're entirely powerless.

Maybe, those crystals are merely a way of collecting and amping their songs, so that they can have a wider reach, are more potent, and to the point where they can extract more energyy to make themself even more powerful, thereby repeating the process ad infinitum. Or at leas, that's what I'm going for.

What about you? Are The Dazzlings really doomed to walk the earth as mortals? Or is their setback only temporary?

5288886 I feel there is someway to get newer pendants. I think as the monsters they had them grown on them or something like that. At the very least, with Equestrian Magic loose they'll find something better to do.

i personally think without the gems they can't brainwash people and all that. And Twilight said that the attack they used on them with the elements that they weren't anything more than harmless teenage girls but thats just my opinion. I'd like to think it could be written to be where they just had an addiction to negative energy but there is a way for them to take in positive energy and spread love and happiness rather than discord and hate but that's just me being optimistic lol

One of my favorite guesses (I try to go with a different explanation every time) is that the sirens' gems work a lot like cutie marks, because it looked like they were part of their bodies before. Remember how Rainbow couldn't fly well, Fluttershy couldn't talk to animals, and Applejack practically lost part of her personality when their cutie marks were taken? I figure the best way to remove a long-practiced skill from someone is the same kind of magic.

This, however, comes with the unfortunate implication that taking the sirens' magic/voices is a lot like taking the teeth out of a predator or committing the same crime treated as heinous as Starlight Glimmer performed on the main cast in her first appearance. As the protagonists would be the ones more or less responsible time, it's a theory some people really don't want to think about, like the idea that Discord was fully aware while imprisoned in stone.
(though that one was implied to be canon...)

EDIT: Forgot to answer the prompt entirely. Sometimes I write them being able to sing anyway, with and/or without magic, sometimes it's treated like a crippling injury they may or may not recover from, sometimes they have to fix the gems first or something.
If you're asking for a guess on what'll really happen if we ever see them again, I'm going to hope for the cheesy cliche of them 'finding the music in themselves' or something like that, which at least opens the door to a happy ending without the writing staff having to do much work, because we've seen how well they handle that time and again.

5288886 I think the better question to ask the people of the brony community is where the Dazzilings are at the moment after the events of Rainbow Rocks

One explanation would be that they always sounded that awful, and it was just a glamour cast by the pendant that made anyone think otherwise.

Another would be that yes, the pendants magically enhanced their singing abilities - just like a magic ring that makes you invisible or a magic belt that gives you super-strength. They may not even have been that bad at singing originally, but ended up that way because they relied on their pendants so much.

I don't think "Siren" is a species, because of the Twilight's description where she says that "the Sirens were three beautiful but dangerous creatures", that's odd wording if there are other Sirens out there. It makes me think their species is actually something like "Sea Pony" or "Kelpie", and that "Siren" is just a word to describe these three, specifically. The same logic makes me think that other members of their species didn't have those powers, which makes me think it isn't a natural ability.

On top of that, the pendants have a very inorganic look, and don't really match the rest of their designs, which makes me think that they are more likely a set of magical artifacts (like the EoH, or the Alicorn amulet), rather than something they were born with.

As for them needing to better protect their amulets, well, like what? For all we know, the gems are near-indestructible for anything less than the giant rainbow cannon spell, the chains may be similarly unbreakable / impossible to remove, and the Dazzlings are pretty much used to brainwashing anyone who might get near enough to try and steal them. I don't think locking the pendants in lead-lined boxes would have made much difference.

It's quite possible that they had some magic of their own, not tied to the pendants. It's also possible that they can't use that magic as humans, that they would need to return to Equestria first.

I'm afraid I've never been keen on giving the Sirens a "tragic, misunderstood" backstory. Even if the pendants were forced on them, and even if they do need that magic to survive, they clearly don't need to feed on an entire school full of children and try to take over the world, just to survive.

But, hey, whatever you want to run with, really.

I was just thinking about this not long ago. Twilight says they're normal teenage girls now, but, well, she really has no way of knowing that. Plus, this wouldn't be the first time she's been totally wrong about something.

Anyway, I speculate that they may still have some power. Why? Because Sunset does. Her friends do. Magical creatures like unicorns and dragons seem to lose their magic upon going through the portal. But the introduction of the Element of Magic seems to have created some changes. Now you've got humans who were never magical creatures having magic. If that can happen, well, why couldn't the sirens get back some of their innate power? Maybe just enough to fix their gems...

Unless all their power was just in their gems and they were just regular fish ponies before.

5288886 The implication is that the Sirens' voices are meant only for bespelling others, and are the major means of expressing their magic, so with the destruction of the part of them that connected them to their magic and allowed them to contain and utilize it's fuel (even without Equestria as a sufficient source, as commented by Adagio), no voices. As for whether they are truly powerless or not, well Adagio still has the pieces of hers, and Sonata and Aria's are probably still out their, so I would think it's possible. As for returning to their full power...well, if there's one thing I've learned about magic, what can be made can be broken, and what is done can be undone:pinkiecrazy:

well Adagio still has the pieces of hers, and Sonata and Aria's are probably still out their, so I would think it's possible

Not exactly:

If you look on the wall, you'll see a picture Sci-Twi took of the Dazzlings' pendants. She likely gathered them and used them in the device she created in EQG3, it would explain how she was able to absorb magic.

5290493 In and of itself, a picture doesn't mean Twilight actually has one or both of the pendants, and even so, that still doesn't mean they can't get their power back. As I said, what's broken can be fixed, and what's lost can be restored. For example, if Sci-Twi does have one of the pendants, or both, they still exist, and the Dazzlings could still find and repair them with enough power, and even if Sci-Twi used them in her device, they could still recreate the pendants, or just seperate them out if they found the device. Heck it's possible that if the pendants power was a part of the device, Midnight's Sparkle creation and defeat could've restored them and cast them away onto the grounds of the school.

5288886 At the end of the day what happens to them is up to the people making the movie and whatever plot points they need to fill in. Personally, I like the open ending that we were given because it opened the door to a bunch of interesting fan fictions and whatnot. At the end of the day just make your own head canon.

P.S I also personally like the idea of them losing their powers and having to actually deal with things like the rest of us because f*** magic and f*** immortality. I like the Dazzlings as villains because they pissed me off so much as i watched the film and I like to imagine they are at least getting a little comeuppance.

well yami yugi has more power then the dazzlings

the battle will begin soon you better be ready

I feel like they might have inherent magic? I mean it was thought that Sunset Shimmer had her power taken away as well, remember? But it turned out she still had magic inside her. So maybe the Dazzlings have inherent magic like Sunset and now have to figure out a new way to use it?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14