More Than Laughter 227 members · 99 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

This is just something that has been bugging me for a while. In fanfiction, Pinkie with straight hair(hereafter referred to as "Pinkamena") is portrayed as murderous and violent. Yet in Party of One, she isn't like that at all! What got this idea into people's heads?

It's not canon. The idea of a murderous Pinkamena is a trend that began with the fanfic Cupcakes.

Rinnaul
Group Admin

Basically, yeah.

Cupcakes basically did a total reversal of her character, but didn't change her appearance.

Party if One showed us that her hair loses its curls when she's not happy. With how bizarre and creepy her behavior was during that scene, the fandom conflated the two, and Killer Pinkamena was the new thing to do.

3777090 Well actually, no. Throughout the entire fic she is still happy, upbeat, and cheerful. Even as she murders Rainbow Dash. That's part of the reason why it's so infamous.

Because the fandom hates pinkie so they make her violent as a justification for their hate. And cupcakes mostly cupcakes and the ask pinkamena diane pie blog. Fannon interpretation perceives pinkie who suffers from a mood disorder as violent and crazy because most people do associate extreme mood swings as being a violent person. I recommend the rock farmer's daughters for a good interpretation of pinkamena.

3778038 Second. The Rock Farmer's Daughters is an excellent interpretation of straight-hair, non Rainboomed Pinkie.

I find the trope distasteful, especially in the way it collapses mood disorders and mental illness with violence, but people will always like it because it is "edgy."
3777171 And I really, really hate that fic. I was sick to my stomach for a whole weekend after I heard about it and almost gave up watching the show altogether. I thought I couldn't enjoy that character again. That probably sounds extreme, but I truly dislike violence and creepiness.

Indeed they are feeding into mental disorder equals bad trope. I agree I hate that trope too and its frustrating that writers are using it to be edgy.

Stories like Cupcakes just go to show how little the authors understand Pinkie as a character. They've no idea how to write a complete, three dimensional character. Instead they get this messed up view that if Pinkie isn't happy, she's crazy and that's all she can be. That's just stupid. Everyone has ups and downs. Pinkie as a character is highly emotional, but not unstable. I see her as kind of like McCoy in the original Star Trek. I guess that's why I relate so well to Pinkie as I'm a highly emotional person as well. She puts her heart on her sleeve, and I think that's why she's so easily hurt by the actions of others (as in party of one). This whole crap storm with Pinkamena is getting frustrating. If you can't see her as she is, for the love of Celestia stop writing her as this one dimensional nut job!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8