The Triptych Continuum 562 members · 37 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
Sind
Group Admin

Hello and welcome to the group everybody :twilightsmile:
I figured I should make a quick thread like this, where we can talk short about who we are, and, more importantly, what brought us here.

I'm Sind, a 21 year old IT student at the University of Oslo, in Norway. I'm a professional[citation needed] Fimfiction lurker, having been a user for well over 2 years, yet without having any actual contribution to the site -- Does this group count? --, though I am constantly promising that I will have a story out soon (yea right).

I can't exactly say which story by Estee was the first one I read(probably "Jury Duty" or "Dear Friend"), but what really got me into Estee's stuff, and lead to me giving a watch, was "On the Application...". The humor was quite excellent, and it lead me to try out some of the other stories.
And now, Estee has managed to score the highest number of stories in my favorites list(which I happen to take quite seriously), with 500LM, MoA and tHoT.
Five Hundred Little murders has additionally manged to acquire my "#1 mlp oneshot" spot, while Mark of Appeal is my favorite incomplete story on fimfiction.

So, that was a bit about me. Feel free to tell us about yourself :raritywink:

Hello, I'm... wait, seriously?

I'm Sind, a 21 year old IT student at the University of Oslo, in Norway.

Huh. I'm Daedelean, until recently a 29-year old English Lit student at the University of Oslo. I am now a 30-year old English Lit graduate and aspiring writer. I've been writing stories for myself since I was a kid, but joining FimFiction was my first step into the world of fanfic, and indeed of putting my stories up somewhere for other people to read.
I'm an aspie, and not super at socializing. But I try. Let's be friends?

The first story I read by Estee was 100% Move = 50% Fire. I don't remember whether I saw a link somewhere, or just saw it on the front page, but I read it having no idea what to expect. At first it was just very funny, and I read on expecting it to be like that all the way. Then it hit me with an emotional character-introspection climax that I did not see coming and which was like a punch in the gut. It blew me away.

Then I read Five Hundred Little Murders...

:pinkiesad2::fluttercry::raritycry::raritydespair::applecry:

Yeah. With those two stories, Estee became my favorite author on the site. These are stories I recommend to my friends who might develop an interest in pony fanfic, and everyone I've shown them to yet has been amazed.

Comment posted by Honey Mead deleted Jun 6th, 2014
Estee
Group Admin

It may be an omen that I just tried to start a new thread -- listing divergences for those wondering what in Equestria makes this into a 'verse -- and got error messages. Lots of them.

So it goes.

(I did save the text. I just can't seem to post it in a new threadline.)

I guess for me, Sind's question is 'What got you started?' And it's something I can't go into a lot of detail on just yet, except to say that for a lot of things about the show, I started wondering about the connections. Things which were going on behind the scenes. Bits which seemed to link scenes. How does this society really work? It feels as if the show's writers are dropping hints about history: is that just what I want to see within it -- and if so, what was intended in the first place? Anything at all?

I kept asking questions. And eventually, since the series wasn't providing the answers, I started listening to those questions, just in case any echoes seemed to be carrying information back.

Creation can be the act of bouncing ideas off the interior of your skull and seeing what the collisions produce. When S3 ended, I had one new question: what, exactly, is the alicorn creation process? How does it work? What happened to Twilight when the Elements went off?

I listened to echoes and invented an answer.

Everything I've posted leads back to that answer. It's probably an answer hundreds before me have already come up with and posted. But I'm still chasing it down... and in the name of that hunt, I've wound up putting up a lot of other words. A few people seem to appreciate them: others would like to see me summarily banned.

Again, so it goes.

As for why I wrote it down... it's the words I put in the interview: writers want attention. Generally positive, sometimes negative. We're all performing, and what's performance without applause or tomatoes? If no one noticed, then I'd screwed up and the silence would tell me so.

As it turned out, the whole thing came across like a plummeting piano.

I'm Baron Honigwien von Bienhaus the Third, but you can call me Mead. I am one year less than twenty and nine years old and live on the opposite coast as California. I think the first of Etsee's works I read was 'On the application...' which was shortly followed by a downward spiral into everything else he's written on this site.

More than anything else, the voice in his stories is what keeps me coming back for more. There is an earnestness to it that I've never found in anywhere else. Mix that with the constant asides, diatribes, and digression, and, it's a style that never gets old or dry and always seems to have something to say.

3337345 I am a self-proclaimed nerd who looks up the definition of nerd in the dictionary (really, I did). I spotted Triptych on the front page and started reading. Then I read every story in the whole continuum (I am happy to say that it was my comment on Estee's page that provided the term Triptych Continuum).

3338342 If you read this Estee, I mean every word. [sincerity mode]The point of art is to make the audience feel an emotional response or start thinking. Every story in the Continuum has provoked a response from me and others. You have accomplished the point of art. This keeps me coming back.[/sincerity mode]

Estee
Group Admin

(I am happy to say that it was my comment on Estee's page that provided the term Triptych Continuum)

'twas, and let me belatedly give that credit where it's properly due. I was digging for some time trying to find where it had originally been said and for some reason, my User Page is the ongoing Kryptonite: anything said on it, I'll probably overlook for a while and then never find again...

Hello, I'm GreyNoise, a 22-year old Nuclear Engineering Major at Texas A&M University. I didn't really do the fandom thing until college, so FiM is my second real fandom, and I've been a very diligent lurker and much less diligent contributor here for over two years.

I've tried to keep an eye out for the more ambitious fanfiction writers since the Homestuck fandom showed that fanfiction can just as good or better than published works, and Estee's stood out as one of the more ambitious projects when I found it going through top lists. I haven't been disappointing since. Everything in here is both emotional and thought-provoking, sometimes both at once.

On a completely unrelated note, Sind, it would likely be helpful to give Estee moderator status in a group dedicated to his own stories, just as a precaution.

Sind
Group Admin

I considered doing that, but figured that I shouldn't bother Estee with the responsabilities involved, especially since s/he didn't have any expectations about for group to begin with(we're sooo close to hitting the trending groups list tho)

If Estee wants to become a contributor/admin thiugh, I will instantly grant it ;)
And here's a quote link thingy, so this post shows up in his/her notifications: 3338342

I'm Mike, or Brumby_Run (if you prefer internet handles). I'm 40 years old (yes, it's true), Australian, work in logistics for a major Australian retailer, and am on the organising committee for the "Sydneigh" brony convention.

One of the first stories of Estee that I recall was "Tales of the Canterlot Deportation Agency: A Typical Day." I loved the humour, the mocking of HiE fics, and the characterisation. It wasn't just fun, but parts of it managed to be quite moving as well. I read a few of his other works, I think I hit the "follow" button after "100% Move = 50% Fire." But the story that really cemented Estee as an important author to be aware of was "Five Hundred Little Murders." That story, that takes such an unlikable character and makes her sympathetic (Flitter) is a master stroke.

Alongside "The Descendant" Estee has become one of my favourite authors here.

Estee
Group Admin

so FiM is my second real fandom

Begs the question on the first.

I'll put this here: if the CDA has a hint (or so) of backlash element for HiE stories, it might be against one word: 'singular'. The idea that for so many stories, that human is the first, possibly the only, utterly unique, never happened before and will never happen again. For the peaceful contacts, the invaders, the military, the haters, the hoped-for immigrants and even, pony gawds help us, the clop.

The first thing the CDA took out was the concept of 'singular'. Hard.

I'm not speaking against the 'singular' story: like virtually every other topic, it can be done well and in the right hands, it's a joy. But it seemed to ask the counterpoint question of what would happen if they all showed up...

I'm a retired Baby Boomer. I grew up in the 1950s watching Saturday morning cartoons. Once upon a time, there were only 3 networks, so only 3 programs (+ some local stations) There was no Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney channel, etc. Even PBS didn't start until the mid 1960s. However, all 3 networks had cartoons on Saturday morning. I LIKED cartoons & never saw a reason to stop watching them, so I didn't stop.

Fast forward to the late 1980s. I was working as the night clerk in a convenience store. MLP G1 was on the air about the time I got home from work, so I watched it while eating breakfast.

By 2012, Amazon had put most local bookstores out of business, so I broke down & got on the -ING Internet. (It was that or give up books) I saw something (ICR what) that mentioned My Little Pony. So, I (eventually) found Poniverse & started watching the G4 stuff. By December 2014, this led me to Fimfiction. IIRC, I saw either Naked Lunch or 500 Little Murders. I liked them, tracked down Estee's other stuff & the rest is history.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12