LightningBass94
Group Admin

This is to be used by all judges!

# O' Judges: 4 (so far)

Grading scale for each category: 1-10

Categories:

1. Meets contest criteria

2. Grammar: word choice, punctuation, and spelling

3. Storyline (Mostly on personal preference of judges...[we're all Twidashers here])

4. Characterization

5. Word flow

6. Originality

Each judge will decide on a score for each category, then add them up for a maximum of 60 points. The judges will then add their scores together. Stories will have a maximum of 240 points. If there is a tie between stories, then the judges will read the tied stories once more and reevaluate their scores. Score for the winning story will be posted. All other scores will be posted if specifically asked by author that we do so.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

Also, everyone please send me your scores. I'll add them up, seeing as I already have half the scores. :twilightsheepish:

3249651 I probably shoulda' mentioned this yesterday, but there's one late entry I'm expecting tomorrow.

Don't be mad... pwease... :fluttershysad:

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250122 Why would I be mad about that? :rainbowhuh:

3250152 I dunno!! :flutterrage:

But I thank you for your patience. :fluttershysad:

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250158 :rainbowderp: Are you sure you're ok, man? :applejackunsure:

3250169 Yes...:pinkiecrazy:

just fine...:pinkiecrazy:

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250172 I think you need to take a load off and go read something light and fluffy to get your mood off your crappy day. :derpytongue2:

3250187 Reading contest entries is what I should do...:pinkiecrazy: yes... and leave nasty comments!:pinkiecrazy: Yes! That will make me feel better!! :pinkiecrazy: Everyone gets a score of ZERO!!!:pinkiecrazy:

HAHAHA!!!:pinkiecrazy:

Okay, no. Not really. :pinkiehappy:

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250193 Lol. I would have to give you 2 rule strikes for that, as that would be buttnuggetry of the highest order. :pinkiecrazy:

This is probably the most complex of any judging strategy I've seen. But I like how it looks a multiple aspects of a story.

So when do you think we'll get some results? :twilightsheepish: (I'm just a little anxious)

3250207 I don't think I've ever left a nasty comment on a story... like ever. :applejackunsure:

3250209 Probably in about three months. (lolz, just kidding)

3250218 That would be a really really long three months lol.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250212 I know. I was just joking too.

3250209 Right now TDF has read all the stories, and I've read 2. Surry's read 2, and I have no idea where Ava is at with this. I haven't heard from her since either Wednesday or Thursday. Scores will be completely private except for top score unless requested on a writer to writer basis, in which case they (personal scores) will be given in PM form. As long as everyone gets their reading done in time, we should be done within the week.

This is probably the most complex of any judging strategy I've seen.

Hmm. I thought it was fairly simple, and it just seemed like the fair, unbiased way of doing things. In fact, it even accounted for personal bias as that is inevitable, really. At the same time, it's still a bit open for interpretation. Take the first category, for instance: Contest Criteria.

The way we score this may be different. I know for TDF, it's a pass or fail, 0 or 10. As he put it, you either follow the rules or you don't.

I, on the other hand, counted 5 rules:
1. one-shot
2. Twidash
3. Slice of life
4. 2,000-8,000 word count
5. Rated E-T/ no explicit sex or gore

...and I made each of those worth 2 points. :twilightsmile:

I may have made it a bit more complicated for myself, but at its basic level, I didn't feel like it was all too complicated. :applejackunsure:

Edit: They were worth 2 points, for a total of 10 for that category. I don't know why I put "8". :facehoof:

3250248 your fine to just post my score, I don't care who sees it.

3250248 Oh I didn't think it was complicated. In fact, it's pretty easy to understand.

I was moreso impressed by the multiple parts you have to it. Most contests I've done really don't have many different types of judging criteria other than the judges taking all of the stories and ranking them based on how much they liked the story. When I did my own judging I made a list of things to check for each story, which made my bias in ranking them less (though it was still there somewhat).

LightningBass94
Group Admin

Fall Down was given the exception of the one-shot rule, as he requested Surry to be allowed a lot of tiny chapters. Other than that, no exceptions. :moustache:

I was originally going to do it out of a hundred

25 points for following the rules (again 0 or 25)
25 points for the twidash
25 points for the plot/characterization
25 points for flow/grammer

then I saw what you posted it and went with that instead

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250261 That's why I put in the "Storyline" category. That way we can judge it based on its story, and how much we liked/disliked it without that ruining the score on an otherwise good story. Just because one judge doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's not worthy of winning. And with 4 judges, that alone would be a quarter of the final score! :rainbowderp: No bueno. That just wouldn't be fair enough.

3250259 We're more not posting the scores to keep people from yelling at us and trying to dispute our decisions over their butthurtedness. I know that's not a word. Even when we give the scores, it will be the grand total, not all 4 individual scorings, that way no one will know whom to be upset at and will just have to accept the score as it is.

3250280 I get that, but I'll probably end up sharing my final score anyway, it's just a habit of mine.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250265 I'm sorry I didn't involve all of the judges in the decision. I had just posted a draft of it on the contest thread labeled "unofficial" and Surry liked it. He then began using it, and it was something that wouldn't have worked had we not all been using it, so I made this thread. Once again, I apologize for not asking you and Ava first. :unsuresweetie:

np, I would probably PM Ava the score chart though, she might not have found it yet.

(I stumbled upon it last week.)

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250288 That's fine. You'll have to wait until I've received all the scores to compile them, however.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250294 Good point. I'll do that. :twilightsheepish:

3250295 you mean I'm going to have to wait for the score to exist before i can share it, ang, no time travel.

3250303 I'm still Woona, this is a picture of her wearing a fez that i drew.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250303 PM has been sent, and she hasn't even been on for a full day. :applecry:

3250301 No time travel for you. :raritywink:

I noticed, she seems to be the most active on here during the weekdays

must be nice having a life lol

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250314 I wish I had less of a life, honestly. :pinkiesick: It made things much more difficult. It's like I'm playing the internet on insanity mode. :raritydespair:

Random question, Have you seen the anime Sword Art Online?

3250343 I have, It's really good.

I preread a crossover Crystal_Bombshell is writing for it. It came out pretty good. When he posts it, check it out!

It should be up tonight.

3250364 I'll be sure to check it out.

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250343 I got that same question in one of my live chats. No. I've seen a piece of it while my brother was watching it, but I haven't had the time to pick it up and watch it yet, myself.

Crystal_Bombshell has been helping me edit TiM

he told me about it and i did not think anything about it for a few weeks. when I finally watched it I was hooked!

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3250433 I'll watch when I feel I have time. Lol.

3250546 lol hope your definition of free time is the same as mine.

Free time: The time I spend purposely NOT doing what I need/should be doing.

As a recovering WOW addict, I really enjoyed the anime.

although i am looking forward to what you think of the rest of BoI

LightningBass94
Group Admin

Free time is time I haven't allotted to something else already. :twilightsheepish:

I have reads the things and I agrees with the things. The things.

Holy cow! There are more than one Thing!

Run away from the swamps! Everypony for themselves!

:rainbowwild:

Adda le Blue
Group Admin

I see what you did there. :raritywink:

Consider this my personal request. I'd like to hear how my story fared in each individual category when all is said and done, whether it's over a PM or in the main thread. That way I'll know what to improve on for the next one! :twilightsmile:

LightningBass94
Group Admin

3252802 Ha! :rainbowwild:

3255609 Done and done. :twilightsmile:

I'd like to know the same as Adda as well, if you please.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Oh cool. :O I would totally like to know my scores when all is said and done, comments as well if there are any.

3256037 Yeah I wouldn't mind getting the same treatment. I love getting feedback like that, really helps me improve things.

I seem to be late to the trend, but I would like to know my scores as well.

3256037 Im jumping on this bandwagon. and right now my keyboard wont let me use aposdrofies.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 55