The General's Battlegrounds 275 members · 187 stories
Comments ( 114 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 114

What is your favorite faction to play as in any total war game or mod? And why?

Mine is the Free Peoples of Eriador/Arnor in Third Age Total War. They have rangers who kick ass and Aragorn is your faction leader. Plus when you reunite Arnor you get badass DĂșnedain infantry, archers, and cavalry in really cool Second age style armor.

3306907 In Shogun Total War- Shimazu
Medieval Total War (unknown)
Rome- Macedon/Parthia (Lord of the Rings Mod)- Gondor because of the Army of the Dead and cool archers
Medieval 2- The Turks
Kingdoms- Ireland, New Spain, unknown, Novgorod
Falcom Total War- Japan
Empire- France
Napoleon- France (DM)- Ireland
Shogun 2 and FotS- Shimazu/Satsuma
Rome 2- Macedon or Parthia
That's it I think.

In Rome, I like the Julii family, but I don't really like Rome TW.

In Medieval 2 Total War Kingdoms Expansion Master Race, I like the English and French the best. More the English.

Empire sucks.

Shogun 2, Shimazu are the only ones I've played with.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Shogun 2, Shimazu are the only ones I've played with.

Bra, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Get on Honshu, that's where the big shit goes down.

The Takeda or Oda campaign are just fucking nuts. You're stuck between everyone, little in the way of resources, but you have very good specialities for your clan.

The AI tends to spam the fuck out of ashigaru and literally steamroll half of Japan which forces you to build a smaller army with better units and use advanced tactics against them. It's quite fun.

I forgot to ask you.

Shogun or Emperor?

In Rome I play Brutii
In Barbarian I play Saxon
In Medieval 2 I play England
In Kingdoms I play Ireland
In Empire I've only ever played American
In Shogun, I haven't played enough to really decide.

Hey, you guys want to start a multiplayer campaign? We could play every Friday or something.

3307010 I've played FotS as the Satasma

3306907 medieval 2 - Byzantines

Rome 2 - Carthage

Rome - Macedon

3306967 And what, pray tell, is wrong with Empire? :twilightangry2:

I'm afraid I'd need to get a new computer for that. Try again in maybe late July?

Nope.

New Question for everyone.

Favorite unit, post a picture.

EDIT! Discuss why you like them.
For one thing they are probably the best Ranger unit in the game. While smaller in number and more expensive than Athala and Ithilien Rangers they have better attack, better defense, better upgrades, and they look better to.

3307045 Two units of line infantry I attacked with a unit of elephants, a unit of saber cavalry, two units of swordsmen, and just because they had square formation, all my units routed.

Tell me that isn't bullshit and I'll cut you.

3307141 Okay.

Dismounted knights. These guys know how it's done.

Those dismounted Feudal knights?

If so than I'm a touch surprised.

3307172 Surprised how?:duck:

3307142 you don't know much about 18th Century warfare, do you?

3307194 I am going to cut you. There is no way simple line infantry in whatever formation could have withstood that onslaught. No way.

Well their really kind of generic is all. Don't get me wrong they're great at midgame but but by the late game most factions have better options.

3307196 it's possible. Squares stop melee. It's happened to me, and never underestimate what experience they had.

3307200 Dismounted Knights are multipurpose! :rainbowkiss: They can crash any type of party and kick butt!

I'll accept that.

3307201 They had no buffs, and I had elephants. Elephants! The elephants are made for destroying formations, and the elephants had cannons on their basket thingies! I also had way more troops.

3307206 Multiplayer.

Also Shimazu Katana Samurai.

Royal Pikemen.

YuckyTW (only for teh elegant uniforms)

3307216 same thing happened to my friend, but he went for my Superior Line Infantry.

3307219 The only thing I like about EwTW are the naval battles. Even then, I don't play the game anymore.

3307233 You might beat me. I prefer to use the Native factions in Empire.

3307237 Maybe. I went with Spain for my first run, but the game wasn't engaging. Diplomacy is broken entirely, and the map's just weird. Needless to say, I was back in Medieval 2 TWKE in record time.

Saxon Hearth Troops, They don't break and they kick tons of ass.

Irish Muire because they look great and can go toe to toe with similar class units with half the number and win.

Good for pretty much much every melee role.

3307247 never forget, when the game fist came out, there were some small issues. Just like with Rome 2, but someone decided to do a stupid review on it, despite it just coming out, and they're still fixing it. Empire provided a better challenge than the ones before. At least there were less agents to deal with. And the new campaigns were the best and the fact you could go to India, America, and Europe led me to really conquer the world. Also building fortifications helped me during sieges.

3307250 Oh yeah! Naginata! Those guys are awesome!

3307250 what about Berserkers?

3307251 Meh. The game's dead for me. I only went back for a while because of a mod that let me play Mexico. The whole conquer the world business isn't that cool for me. I'd rather conquer an island with good gameplay than the world with empire.

Hence M2TWKE Britannia campaign.

Agreed.
Great on offense, but very few factions have them, plus they have that nasty tendency to start hitting your own troops. Give me something I can rely on to get the job done any day.

3307258 that is why I never send them in with my army, just by themselves. On the Lord of the Rings mod for Rome, I just unleash the Dwarves Juggernauts and watch them slaughter my enemy.

3307257 Britannia is getting old. Played it too much.

Still though I prefer having units that can follow orders and do what I want them to, which is reliably win.

3307270 I just let my men have at it. Get victory, and with losses for the bulk of my army not as high.

That might work on weak romans or under equipped and old fashioned celts but not against mighty hordes of Hun Warriors.

3307282 I was talking about the Lord of the Rings mod somewhat. I also use the Army of the Dead.

yeah i haven't played that mod

3307286 you have to have the Alexander expansion for it. I could send the link if you want.

does it work with steam?

3307413 you can find on steam, but I got the Total War Eras on disc, which had Shogun all the way to the 3 Rome games.

I meant the mod

3307525 that I do not know. I found it on moddb, so you'd have to look there.

ClassyGeneral
Group Admin

Naginatas are pretty fucking OP in Shogun 2... I mean, people just spam the fuck out of them online since they're fucking good at everything...

Their armor and defence fucks up Katana samurai and they get a bonus against cav as well and on top of that their armor is so good that most bow units might as well not even bother...

I only use at the MAXIMUM four in my army and use them as a screen to absord arrows and such and to deter cavalry.

In melee I just use my katanas... since they're meant to just wipe shit out...

But when you inspire a naginata unit... my GOD, they'll fuck shit up more than katana samurai...

In FOTS? Shogun all the damn way, fuck the western powers.

I would like that, but I have no idea how my laptop will handle it...

3307530 You filthy traitor. For the Emperor!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 114