Gun Club 760 members · 353 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Wolf-Baron
Group Contributor

Yep I've been saving up enough money and I'd figure I'd get a revolver for the collection and I picked up a Pietta Colt SAA reproduction chambered in .44 magnum because why not? It was affordable and it's a SAA. It's not as cool looking as the Uberti copies but it shot very well for me however I couldn't really abuse it enough because .44 magnum is very tricky to buy in bulk and not break your wallet. It wasn't very accurate on the range but I think that has more to do with me than the revolver as I am not the best pistol shot (been contemplating attending lessons) but it's a fun gun to shoot. It's not the original Colt SAA but it's the closest thing I got and it's fun.

Fun gun for black-powder (if it's the model I'm thinking of). Uberti is nice though it was more money than I wanted to spend on a black-powder replica, but for cowboy action all my "modern" single-action revolvers are uberti. I cast my own .44 balls by the bucket and always keep a few boxes of caps on hand. Lots of fun for plinking in my little range I keep.

Wolf-Baron
Group Contributor

It's not black powder. Still a lot of fun.

I forgot Pietta made a .44 Mag. No wonder it's expensive to feed. I only shoot my S&W 629 a few times a year. I knew the company made a .45 Colt.

Wolf-Baron
Group Contributor

Yeah. But it is a fun to shoot. I really need to practice my pistol shooting. I can never get a consistent grouping.

I should've read your entry; you said it was a magnum.

Wish I could give advice on grouping. It's usually just getting used to a new gun. But knowing it's an old-style with no adjustable sights you'll just have to learn where to aim. The sights you have aren't made to be accurate or even shoot straight so it's just a matter of knowing where to hold based on experience. Due to inconsistencies it varies by each gun. I have two of those 22lr/22 Mag Rough Rider single action pistols. Got them for $110 apiece. Lots of fun to shoot and I can do it all day with the loading time. One of them I aim up and left from a target by a lot and the other I just aim to the right a hair. Bullseye.

It's very hard not to like revolvers, especially single action revolvers. I have a Single Six and New Model Blackhawk myself. If all goes well I'm looking to add a Super Blackhawk to my collection in the near future.

A good test for grouping inconsistency is to hold the gun up and dry fire it and watch the front post to see if it drops low and to the left if you're right handed or low and to the right if a lefty. Could mean your flinching and not knowing it. I would also recommend training on a smaller caliber for grouping practice if possible. As for pistol accuracy, to actually see where it shoots, shoot from a rest on a bench.

Amen, I love shooting my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454/.45 LC. While .454 is a bit on the pricy side, I've got a decent stash from picking up a box here and there.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9