Blunt Reviews Group 467 members · 170 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
SpitFlame
Group Admin

There is Still Good In Her by Raptormon132

Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi talk about the tragic story of Tempest Shadow together.

This is a Star Wars/MLP crossover short-fic in celebration of the MLP movie soon to be released in theaters this October.
And Spoiler warning for those who don't want to know about the character.

I'd just like to point out that I was planning to review one other story in my folder, but it's gone now. I'm guessing the author deleted it? Or removed it from the group? That means I'm all out of stories to review after this one. Anyone want me to take some stories from their folders? (as long as it's, you know, not a 100,000+ word slog)

I don't know much about Star Wars. Yeah, it's the Lord of the Rings of space operas and sci-fi, but I ain't got time for everything. I'm an uncultured bastard, that's what. But I do know the obvious facts: Darth Vader is Luke's father, Obi-Wan lies to Luke by saying Vader killed his father, and so on. This fic is a crossover that draws several parallels between the latter scene from A New Hope and Tempest's backstory.

I'm not sure how to describe my feelings about this story, or lack thereof. It's only 1k words, and was written before the movie came out to serve as a speculative lens into what could turn out from Tempest. The author compares her to Vader, how they were consumed by the dark side. For its message you could get something out of this, but it's nothing particularly complex or ponderous.

Context-wise this story makes no sense. How does Obi-Wan and Luke know about Equestria? They just do. Okay, fine, I can look that over. Then Obi-Wan recaps what we already know happens in the movie (Tempest lost her horn, she used to be good, et cetera) and... what else? Unfortunately the dialogue is almost pure exposition.

A shame in hindsight, it is. Could've done something unique here. Could've posed some new arguments about Tempest's psychology that we never considered before, or a new angle to Vader. I'm not asking this story to be 100% original, but it literally just tells you what you know about Tempest and Vader, and says, "See, they're similar. The Dark side is bad."

But that's not entirely true. Some of the dialogue is spent on discussing the temptation for power, and how there's a fine line between using power for great things and turning it into something truly dangerous. That's good. Explore that. Except you can't in a fic where its word count stands at the bare legal minimum. When Obi-Wan started talking about Twilight's role in these events it piqued my interest, but again, it went nowhere.

The writing itself is pretty weird. Look at this:

Sometime later, after reading about Tempest Shadow's backstory on the MLP wiki, Luke was shocked at what he had just discovered about both Fizzlepop Berrytwist and Tempest Shadow backgrounds.

The MLP wiki? Okay then. There's also no build up to Luke figuring this out at all. Absolutely none. He displays no emotions, no surprise or anything to that degree. Or if he was supposed to be surprised, I didn't feel it. "He was shocked"—like hell he was. Show, don't tell.

Also:

Many ponies, and I myself was amazed how strongly powerful the magic was within her.

Strongly powerful magic.
"Strongly powerful"

Quite the, uh, emphasis you got there.

Man, I'm trashing the fuck outta this poor story. It's not bad. There's simply too much of a disconnect with this supposed "deep" connection between Tempest and Vader for me to care. I guess if you like Star Wars you could check it out? It's very short.

5/10

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1