The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Tidal
Group Admin

LADIT! That's what my name is on opposite day! Otherwise... You can call me Tidal and sorry ladies, but I'm taken :raritywink:

Anyway! I am doing a review today on a type of story I've never read before... A Trixie story! I'm short on time so I wont do a commentary, but my review will not be rushed! It's time to go! Please remain seated, and keep your feels inside the ride at all times.

Just looking at the picture shows me we are gonna get some Trixie sadness.... interesting :trixieshiftright:

Tragedy Sad
"I love you, Trixie."
I love you too dad.
Ever since dad died, things have been different. All I want is for my mother to be proud of me. Maybe then she'll stop treating me like I'm nothing.
Maybe then she'll love me.
Over the years, it's become apparent that I am nothing but a puppet to her. So I put on a smile, straighten my hat, and do what my mom always wanted me to do.
To be the Great and Powerful Trixie.

La description! Looks like we are getting Trixie backstory!! Which means, creative original storyline!! :trixieshiftleft: OOOOOO Some of the chapter titles are in Latin! I gotta go and translate those later. Off to reading!

REVIEW

FEELS METER
So after reading what has been written so far, It looks like this story is definitely going to evolve from sad to tragedy, and then juggle between the two. No tears escaped my eyeballs but I did feel awful for Trixie! 8 out of 10

MOOD
So from what we saw in the description, its gonna be sad... The description mentions the death of Trixie's dad, and how her mom basically hates her. The story starts off with Trixie... being Tricksy. (:rainbowlaugh:) She's sneaking around a room, she knows if she's caught by mom... well she's basically f*****. Then it snowballs from there. You meet one of Trixie's sisters, (who I hated almost immediately) and then you meet the mother.

Now then Idk about you guys but Trixie in the show was funny, but annoying. I wish we had more character backstory on her. This story seems to be delivering that just fine so far. As you read the short 3 chapters posted so far... The feel of the story goes from mysterious... to scared... to sad... to just downright :pinkiegasp:

I can't wait for more. I think this story is gonna progress nicely, so far the flow and feel of the story is just right! No rushing, and great detail on the setting and overall feel of the home, and the ponies living in it.

GRAMMAR
So the writing so far is really good, but there were some small mistakes here and there :twilightblush:

She would want her little secret out, now would she?

stuff like this. It should've said She wouldn't. But since mistakes are severely minor I will give it a 4 out of 5

STYLE
YES. This is the section I couldn't wait to get to on my review. I absolutely loved the way the author writes. I really do.

The halls of our home were as lonely as I. I trotted along the walls, my hoof skimming over the rippled and crinkled wallpaper. Our manor had been the inheritance of my father. He had received it upon the passing of his grandfather, when the mansion was in its prime and had been renown throughout our little town as a splendor. Though my father hated to admit it, the house had since deteriorated. Though my mother did all she could to keep this house in shape, it was though the home had died long ago, and was now slowly decomposing as its ghost leaked from every cracked shingle and shattered window.

The details are delicious, but not like way overdone. It's not like Tolkien. Where we get 6 pages on the color of a leaf as it falls on the ground. :facehoof: (I'm kidding, Tolkien is a master writer. He just used a lot of detail lol) A lot of stories on this website are written well, but the plot line kinda meh. A lot of stories could use work on the writing but the plot line is genius. This story so far has the potential to be both written well, with a glorious back story for a certain Great and Powerful Unicorn.

This story reminds me slightly of Cinderella. Her mom is a super meanie pants, her sisters aren't much better, and the author did very well creating them. While I was reading I hated her mom and I actually feared for Trixie's safety. I love stories that bring multiple emotions out of me. Her mom is evil, and her sisters are not much better. Blaming Trixie's very existence to be the cause for all their problems. In the story itself her dad is actually still alive! Which already makes me sad, because we know he's gonna die... and Trixie's life if its already really bad... can only get so much worse.

Seeing Trixie written not annoying and boastful... but more sad and wishing for... well (spoilers. I won't tell) is interesting. I really like how the author has wrote for Trixie so far, and I hope to see as the story goes on, she will make her decent into her somewhat evil, and annoying self.

FINAL SCORE
Alrighty so based on what I've seen so far, a story that even though it seems like it has some similarities to Cinderella, I don't think it'll like the fairy tale, and has excellent potential. It has excellent writing for our characters and the settings, and good pacing that doesn't confuse me or feel rushed at all.

I'm going to bestow upon this story a 8 out of 10, I think you should read this I look forward to reading more, and seeing what the author will continue to do with the back story of Trixie and her abusive family.
Recommended for any Trixie fans out there, or anypony that enjoys really well polished writing, following the sad life of a character, who deserves to be loved.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND That's how I felt while reading this story. Viola I look forward to reading more, I liked and favorited. Keep up the good work! If you are reading my review thank you and be sure to check out this story with tons of potential!

-The Super Awesome and Loved by all Tidal

Kronk did not keep his feels inside the ride at all times. :facehoof:

Wow, this is a very interesting review. I really appreciate you doing this, and the honesty and constructive criticism will really help me out in the future. :twilightsmile: As for that mistake you pointed out... oh wow! I would think someone would have pointed such a doozy out by now. I will have to locate that and fix it when I get a chance.

All in all, thank you very much! This has inspired me to continue writing this story.

Tidal
Group Admin

2724909 I'm glad you enjoyed my review, I really hope you do continue! I'm happy I can be an inspiration:yay:
I honestly didn't see much else to work on because so far you are doing really well :twilightsmile:

I'll keep an eye out for more!

Seems like a good story. I might just read it:trixieshiftright:

2726814 If you wouldn't mind, that'd be awesome. :raritystarry:

Tidal
Group Admin

2942753 I loved this story! :pinkiehappy: ^if you couldn't tell from my review ages ago lol

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6