The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,288 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Well, here we are, I'm preparing, and well into, my first review/commentary for the group! One problem. If you look at the front page, you will see my username as not only an admin, but also as one of the two focused anthro reviewers, This may change later, but for the moment, it is myself and one other user. Now, if you will look at the folders, you will see there are only three stories in Anthro. If you actually click this folder, you will see that all three are by the same author, and that the shortest is ten chapters and 55K, nearly 55.5K, words in length, and is incomplete. This is the one I'm starting with.

Now, if you've seen my threads from, really any group, though especially the Perpetual Discussion group, then you know I ramble, a lot, and often. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it a little here. Now, combine my ADHD, new meds making me do wacky things, and this being only my second review with the approx. 5.5K wordcount per chapter of this story, and the idea of sifting through the entire ten chapter commentary via words is simply insane! At least, in one thread.

Now, my question is, what would be the best approach to this? Should I update every chapter? Should I update every two? Also, how would I go about continuing commentary on this story? :moustache:

2596614 I was about to ask this very question.

Maybe you should collaborate with the other contributor?

as a reader and potential submitter, I would say that it would probably be wise to keep the initial review to the first three (or so) chapters then add in any extra stuff that strikes you as important to mention as replies. that should give potential readers enough to go on and should allow the author to get the full review.
as for too much workload, you might want to ask for volunteers to be backup reviewers that you can pass stories off to if you don't think you can get to them in a timely manner

2596721 I believe, from your suggestion, that you misunderstood my question. It seems as though you think I'm asking how I could handle such a large task. I'm asking how I should handle the threads in this group containing said commentary/review. Should I make multiple threads, in which I update with either one or two chapters, or should I just write the entire, so far ten chapter, review in one thread post?

Depending on which of these is the better choice, how should I go about continuing review/commentary, since the story is, in fact, Incomplete, and thus intended to be expanded? If I do the full ten in one post, would I make a new thread or simply update the old? If I do two chapters at once, do I wait until two chapters are added, short of having only one left and it complete? If I do only one chapter per thread, then I would obviously just keep the flow.

2596790 Oh, I seem to have misread.
But to go about your dilemma...Maybe summarize each chapter, if you're going for that?
Or possibly just post a single and update it, maybe PMing the author when a new section is added.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

What do you feel the best course of action would be?

2596974 2596940 I believe I'll go with 2596786 this guy's idea. It seems like it would work. Also, the PM idea for letting the author know when it's been updated may do well, too. I'll have to finish through Ch, 3 and see where I stand.

Biker_Dash
Group Admin

2596614 I have a couple of long (100k+ word) multi-chapter stories in the Adventure folder, and I have a plan for doing them.

I shall write out a running commentary in a Gdoc as I read, taking any needed notes as well, then, after I have finished, I shall go over the commentary and notes, clean it up to look tidy and short enough to not rate being called a story itself, and then write the review summarizing after the commentary for the fic.

Cromegas_Flare
Group Admin

Sounds good to me.
I will have to make a review rue-brick (or however you spell that odd word) and It will be out shortly.

2597052 I'll definitely look into that for the long one in the anthro folder. 200+K words... It's gonna take a while. Also! I'm definitely glad there's another anthro reviewer, that means I can actually submit most of my stories here, now. :moustache:

2596790 Well I'm gonna take a different approach, I'm not gonna do a complete review just a trailer like review. Highlight what's good about it and let them watch the movie if they want. I'm not big on spoilers, I don't mind them if I can still enjoy the ride, but I know a bunch of people hate them. But I'd suggest doing it like a blog, where you update those that are following (replied to the thread) warning of spoilers naturally.

Maybe I'll have a spoiler free review, and then a color commentator spot separate. :applejackunsure:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12