The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group! 1,289 members · 149 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

After more time than I care to admit, I'm finally here to review another story! And boy do I have a treat for you tonight!

Waiting for Adagio by Lonarion

Sooo . . . what to say about this fic? Does girly squeeing count as a response? Brace yourselves because this one is precious. :rainbowkiss:

The story has such a beautifully simple premise.

One week has passed since the Battle of the Bands. Alone and hungry, Sonata must find food to survive until Adagio comes back.

Aaaand that's it. I love slice of life's like this more than anything because they allow the characters to shine through. The author uses this to his advantage the whole way! What a wonderfully crafted character piece. It's not long, but man does it leave an impact.

What can I say? I don't want to give everything away for you. I guess I'll start by saying that I love the author's narration here. The way he writes is indicative of someone who genuinely understands his character and how she would act given the situation. Now, some of you may be going, "But wait, isn't Sonata the main character? She's canon, so how can she be his?" Well, look at it this way. Canon stories like Rainbow Rocks are like little snapshots into a character's life. We see them in that situation, and often times are given fairly vague backstory (especially with villains). Now, a good author is capable of taking the essentials from that canon appearance and applying a little of their own ingenuity into the mix to develop a truly three-dimensional character. Because, let's face it, if you stuck to "canon" for all aspects of your story, your characters would be flat as cardboard.

This author manages to find that perfect balance between fleshing out a canon character while still keeping them true to who they are at their core. Sonata here isn't just another Dazzling. She's an individual with her own thought process and rationale. The author skillfully applies narration to show how Sonata's entire identity is based upon her relationship with Sonata and Adagio. They are her whole world and all that motivates her. Abandonment and disillusion on Adagio's part never comes up in the story because Sonata never even considers that she would do such a thing. The naive, innocence of her personality shines through again and again, pulling at your heartstrings little by little. We see just what a sheltered life Sonata has led and how her past influences her actions again and again.

I could gush about the characterization here for ages and ages, but you have to read it to believe it!

The only problem I had with this story, the only problem was Fluttershy's appearance. It seemed out of place to me and a touch forced. I think it needs to be smoothed out some or modified. Either way, it's not a big deal and I still saw the scene as precious beyond belief.

This story easily gets a Must Read from me. You HAVE to check it out!

Until next time,

— Bluegrass

P.S. Sorry the review is so short. It had such an awesome impact on me that I had difficulty putting it to words.

4953854 Nice review. :) I think I've read this one.

4953854 Wow, thanks for the review. I really wasn't expecting a "must read". Glad you liked it!

I'm having the strangest sense of déjà vu with this because I've seen Waiting on Celestia which was inspired by Waiting on Godot.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4