Twily's library 272 members · 545 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

I'm really curious about this one, since I have very limited experience writing a filly character: How do you write it? What does it make it special? Are you writing from your own memory? What about interactions between parent / filly or filly / filly?

~Twi

A childish character would probably have their own way of seeing the world due to their relative inexperience with everything.

I dunno. That help?

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

No, not really. 'sides, I've asked "how you approach it" and not "how do you think that children's minds work". That's pretty far away from being the same thing.

~Twi

2786193 It's really like writing any character's voice, you have to hear it and give your filly the verbal ticks you want. Keep the vocabulary simple and the syntax simpler. Limit personal experience (your story idea will give you a pretty good idea what the filly may know about and what they're ignorant of). I use canon characters like the CMC to get a feel for voices.

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

That's kind of good starting point. What about personalities? Just toned-down adults and add ~20% more curiosity?

~Twi

2786741 Sometimes toned down, sometimes more extreme (Applejack would never get excited and have diarea of the mouth the way Apple Bloom does). The traits you want to stress will vary with character creation, eg. that wouldn't be curiosity for a Diamond Tiara.

Ultimately, creating a filly isn't a lot different from creating any character.

2786741 Simplify the view of complex things and make trivial things look important. :scootangel:

Twilight-the-Pony
Group Admin

Ha.
Actually; that's a VERY good idea.

~Twi

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

What about interactions between parent / filly

Love, comfort, reassurance... and embarassment. If I may, I think I did pretty well with my interactions between Twist and her father in my story "Special Talents".

As for general childhood points of view, exaggerate everything. Granny Smith is the most embarassing family member ever -- until she proves she's cool in the greteast Family Appreciation Day visit ever. Diamond Tiara is the meanest pony ever. Cheerilee is the best teacher ever. (Okay, that one is actually true.)

Also, 2786787 had some good advice.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10