The Gem Hunters 263 members · 195 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
blowngasket
Group Admin

It has come to my attention that this group has gotten very unlively within the last couple of days. You all have personal lives, and I can respect that. Even so, there are still people submitting stories asking for an honest critique and we are not doing anything about it, even though we volunteered otherwise. Kind of in bad taste if you ask me.

Even if it is only one a day, there are four of us able to do this, meaning we can get through four a day. :pinkiehappy: I am going to continue my effort here, and I hope that the rest of you will follow suit, even if it is just a little.

JumpingShinyFrogs
Group Admin

2621633 Exams. Exams everywhere.

But seriously though, I think we may have to pull a Twilight's Library here and close the folder for a few days so we can catch up a bit.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2621707 Possibly. I think that should be a group decision I guess. I am good for maybe two or three stories a day, so with a bit of effort, hopefully we can get through this and gain some notability.

You could always just grab more reviewers?

One thing to try is to have a limit on how many stories you can upload. I noticed a while ago that one person shoved 4 or 5 of their stories into the incoming folder all at once. Maybe set a rule that you can only submit one story at a time to the incoming folder.

That's a rule I personally follow, even if it isn't one of the group's rules. That way, nobody hates me for spamming stories, and other people get chances to submit things. So, I think the one story submitted at a time thing is a good idea.
(I wasn't supposed to post here, was I? Sorry, just wanted to throw in my two cents.)

Yeah, I personally follow that rule as well. I only have one story anyway though.:derpytongue2:

I think its alright to post here. If he didn't want us posting here, he would have used a private message to those people instead of an open forum. He also could have just locked the forum.

2622382 I think that might have been me, sorry.

I'm just wanting to get some more critical feedback on my stories other than the occasional, "Great job," or "Hey, you spelled that word/name wrong in this chapter. Otherwise, great job."

I may have put two in there as well but I think one of them got graded so hopefully I'm no longer in hot water.

Also just how do you people review, do you pick which ones look interesting or do you review the fics that have been in the folder the longest?

2621633 I can come to help, but I can't guarantee being incredibly active, as I'm in my last semester of college and projects are already piling.

I'll try and do my part, but like I said. No promises.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2626126 I generally aim for the more mature stories, as so far I am the only reviewer willing to do them, but otherwise I do try and get the older ones first if possible, unless I already read the story in question. I still reread it to check for quality, but that is an easy skim.

2625029 I figured the voice of the many could help with ideas to prevent this kind of slow situation from happening again, while maybe telling us to get our lazy asses back to work. :twilightsmile:

I myself write mature stories mainly, violence however, not that shame that is clop.
I don't like the rating system however, to me Mature should really be for full on clop scenes and exessive gore.

One of my fics fr example has the MC kill a bunch of diamond dogs and while I say stuff like 'decapitate' and 'spray of gore' it's not like I write:

Blahblah stuck his hand into the chest of the dog, the clawed fingers easily tearing through flesh to reach the bloody organ within. Clasping his fingers around the still-beating heart of the dog the human pulled, viens and arteries coming away in a flood of crimson as the heart was ripped from the chest. Smiling, BlahBlah raised the heart to his mouth as the dog collapsed, the human sinking his teeth into the pulsing muscle as blood flowed from the severed artiral tubes. Chewing he smiled in satisfaction as he kicked the downed dog, licking his lips once he had swallowed the piece of heart that had tasted like heaven incarnate to him.

"I always did love a hearty meal and the exictment of fetching your own really gets the blood pumping."

I think that the mature tag really drives away readers as i must admit when i first saw Fimfic I assumed that every mature story had copius amounts of pony smex and I did not want to even touch that.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2627756 I can't disagree with you there. Though I have written a clop story myself, it was more of a request by an old friend, and I kinda liked how it came out in the end.

Enough about my shameless actions, we are talking about massacres

That would probably be something to bring up with the head honcho here. I am simply following her guidelines. I can only imagine the hassle I am going to have to go through if she decides mature stories without sex don't count. :twilightoops:

I have looked at some of your work. It seems self indulgent, but it knows what it wants to be and it is fun to read overall. I am burnt out between dealing with rl stupidity to working on my next stories outline to MTG, so give me some time and I will try to nail out a few of these stories. Hopefully I can get all the matures done by the end of next week. :twilightsheepish:

I know, my self indulgence fills all. However I love that a completly OP as hell MC who just does whatever he wants is incredibly fun to write. I set out to make him a overpowered tool and it worked. I myself get sick of the constant stories where the MC is a teenage brony/collage student who lands near ponyville and makes friends.

I though "Hey, instead of complaining why not write a character which has no possible way of existing in reality and just have him act like a tremendous dick. When the Princess wants him to drop the gun have him say 'no' as he fires a clip into the air. When the main six give him the friendship speech have him tell them to shove it."

I'm going to say that I think it has worked well, sometimes a story that is so over the top is enjoying to read, hell i enjoyed writing them and from what i gauge from the comments i get some people agree with me.

BTW next fic i write is going to include a Red and Black Alicorn OC as a second MC, I can already taste the hate from people who don't get satire.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2627851 I wish to see more of that featured instead of...just...eww...

Not a chance, I've got a great idea planned out but It's either going to sink or swim. Might actually start it tonight.

Pretty much going to have my OC (you know which one) arrive in a small farming town (method of transport still pending) and he is going to be fairly confused. He does the sensable thing and tries to ask the locals for directions, however they all seem terrified of him so he is stuck in a town with no clue of whats going on.

Meanwhile a black and red alicorn mare awakens in a field with no memory, only her name is known: Nightblade Misery.
Using her Black and Red alicorn powers she finds her way into the small town, just in time to witness the MC lose his temper, kick down a house door and drag a Stallion out by the mane to question him. Nightblade Misery falls in love with the way the strange creature threatens the pony with creative deaths, the alicorn deciding that she must have him. She bounds towards the biped, no Stallion or mare alive able to resist her charms (due to being a black and red alicorn) so this creature will soon be hers and hers alone.

After being tackled by a lust crazed alicorn the human MC decides that it's not worth it, rejecting the alicorn before getting up and walking away like nothing happened. The alicorn doesn't take the hint however, Nightblade Misery deducing that the creature was just overwhelmed by her awsomeness and that if she follows him constantly then he'll soon return the feelings.

My poor, poor OC.

blowngasket
Group Admin

2627944 All I can say is do it. Do it with pride. I want to read that story, cause it sounds like it will be a winner.

I plan to have the pair travel around Equestria, Nightblade trying to seduce the MC at any chance she gets while the human ponders why Existance hates him so. While he doesn't react to the Alicorn with violence (he feels a little sorry for the creature) he does not apprecate insults or attacks on his person. Canterlot shall be a fun place, what with all of those snobby unicorns...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18