Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

Can you imagine an Equestria where everypony wore diapers? Let's say that they simply never grow into continence - historically they just went where they walked like real horses, but then some unsung genius (or more likely several) invented our favorite miracle garment! The only problem is, their anatomy isn,t very conveinient for self-changing (unless you're a unicorn).

Fastforward to the present, and adult unicorns mostly change themselves while everypony else is dependent on friends, family or the kindness of strangers. Disposable diapers are spreading but many rural areas still use cloth. All other history follows the show.

Now does anypony have any ideas for this setting?

well, with everypony diapers, i think adult foal stuff would be a very prevalent theme, lots of ponies use pacis, onesies, foal bottles stuff like that, also diaper design would be a massive part of fassion

I've worked a non pony feral fantasy setting that involves a similar concept of diapers and incontinence being the norm and the way society forms around that. It's actually a topic I really adore and love to think about all the time. The idea of normalized diapering and incon is great.

As for ideas, I think small details really help solidify a world around it. For instance, bathrooms being replaced with changing stations, maybe some more upscale venues having complementary diapers, the kinds of designs and fashion trends that spring up around accentuating diapers since they're most likely the focal point of one's attire, kinds of stores that sell them, the manufacturing of diapers and such if you really want to be detailed.

As far as pony specific, I like the idea of them being reliant on others for changes, that's super cute and interesting. Maybe someponies actually take it up as a job giving other ponies diaper changes in bathrooms. And I def like also having the mix of cloth and disposable depending on the area.

Well it could go either way. Realistically, if neither foals nor adults are continent then there's no reason for diapers to be seen as a "foal thing" - the closest thing would be the self-diapering line, and as I said that's mostly just unicorns. (Other kinds of ponies aren't completely incapable, it's just in no way casual.)

On the other hand, an at least semi-infantalised society would be aesthetically fitting, and the show's certainly more about aesthetics than realism. Of there would be limits to what you could do and still have a practical society, let alone canon events, but you could certainly work with it to a degree.

And coming full circle, one could invent additional reasons for the additional changes - perhaps ponies are lifelong sucklers, which would get you bottles and pacifiers with perhaps a side order of teat-feeding between close friends - or is that just for lovers and actual mothers?

Interesting ideas - let's pick them to pieces!

bathrooms being replaced with changing stations

I'm not sure whether you're referring to public or private bathrooms here, but I'll cast my imagination at both. At home I think ponies probably would prefer to change in a bathroom if they had one, just for convenient hoof-washing and maybe butt-rinsing. As for out and about, cities would likely have public stations but in somewhere like Ponyville any quiet corner will do.

maybe some more upscale venues having complementary diapers,

It seems like the kind of thing any place that wants you to stick around and keep spending might offer. And on the flip side, some ponies are likely to mind being wet/messy more than others, so places with any sort of class would likely have a "change ASAP" rule - providing the diapers themselves means they're not increasing the cost to ponies.

the kinds of designs and fashion trends that spring up around accentuating diapers since they're most likely the focal point of one's attire, kinds of stores that sell them, the manufacturing of diapers and such if you really want to be detailed.

Well it's the only thing most ponies would wear - and I doubt that pants would catch on at all. Heck, it might explain where Rarity's local everyday work comes from - she wants to make glamourous garments, not ones meant to be soiled, but that's what pays the bills.

Definitely a lot of way you could take the idea, there is def a lot of room to explore and try different things, which is pretty cool to see other writer's interpretations and the way they handle it. If you do go about writing something in a setting like it, it'd be an interesting read.

I would like to see a setting more like that, maybe an alternate world from the Cutie Re-Map that wasn't mentioned at all where Twilight an Spike visited. I would love to see a society that is more focused infantalizem or foal paraphernalia but are otherwise fully functional adults who are responsible for themselves and aren't dependent on anypony. These is also the issue of dealing with was management, where huge piles of diapers would take up a lot of space and not to forget that it gets really expansive for everyone to have to throw away diapers after every uses. I think that reusable diapers would be a lot more popular for them to save on money. bio degradable diaper would probably be a thing, along with magic self cleaning diapers might be a thing too. I think that foals clothing could like oncese could be a thing if ponies want to hide the fact that they are already carrying waist or it's now a tradition to not show the diaper openly in publish. I would also guess that perfumes are also very popular because they still don't want to smell each others mess still.

I had a idea about that, dealing with an Equestria where toilet production ceased due to low materials, and went to diaper wearing. Had that Idea in my pocket for 3 years, never thought I wasn’t the only one with that idea Heh heh.

These is also the issue of dealing with was management, where huge piles of diapers would take up a lot of space and not to forget that it gets really expansive for everyone to have to throw away diapers after every uses. I think that reusable diapers would be a lot more popular for them to save on money. bio degradable diaper would probably be a thing, along with magic self cleaning diapers might be a thing too.

Good points. I'd say that up until recently cloth had been normal, but that in itself meant lots of laundry - disposables make things a lot simpler and quicker, which is why ponies use them even though they know in theory cloth is "better".

I think that foals clothing could like oncese could be a thing if ponies want to hide the fact that they are already carrying waist or it's now a tradition to not show the diaper openly in publish. I would also guess that perfumes are also very popular because they still don't want to smell each others mess still.

Scented baby powders probably - I think most perfumes capable of drowning out a full diaper would be pretty overwhelming in their own right. I don't see most ponies putting an extra barrier in place - sure together with perfume it might hide whether you'd gone or not, but I think that that would be like clothing on the show - an affectation of the upper class. Canterlotians look down at Ponyvillians for walking aroud with their mess showing and letting themselves be changed by the side of the road, and Ponyvillians mock them right back for trying to literally pretend their s*it doesn't stink. Or something like that.

6749954, you too? I've also made a setting where diapers and incontinence are normal and its effects on society. Granted, mine is more of a contemporary/science-fiction themed setting.

But back on topic, I think refusing to help somepony change would be considered impolite - on par with with not holding a door for someone who is occupied. And improperly disposing of the used diaper would be a social failing on par with using someone's toilet and not flushing it.

On a similar note, when it comes to dining protocol, I'd imagine that diapers are a forbidden topic of conversation. Likewise, I'd imagine drawing attention to the state of somepony else's diaper would be inappropriate, unless they're leaking, then which it is to be done discreetly (akin to toilet paper on shoe or fly undone). And of course, commenting on the state of your own diaper is also inappropriate...unless you're with friends.

Yup, more so a fleshed out fantasy setting that incidentally has normalized diapers and incon as a bit of fetish flavoring, though. And since it's high fantasy they develop ways to make diaper changing less of a hassle through things like magic and specialized padding via alchemy and such. It's different but I like writing about it.

And I really like the proper diaper etiquette angle you bring up going back to ponies, that is particularly interesting in. I'd enjoy reading perhaps a fic that serves as a guide to the do's and dont's of diapers in a society like that with scenes exploring them.

enchant diaper would best sell tpye of diapers.
like the enchant shop with those enchant comic base if diaper add like anti- rash or anti-smell.
it idea use in rp character I use they run a enchant shop for similar items.

But back on topic, I think refusing to help somepony change would be considered impolite - on par with with not holding a door for someone who is occupied.

This is part of the unicorn/non-unicorn disparity I've noted - in Canterlot you're supposed to change yourself, which also means they're the most likely to actually think of those parts as private. And in places like Ponyville, there's probably an informal social accounting of how often a pony helps and how often they're helped. (Of course, there would also be ponies - probably with diaper cutie marks*- who were popular enough to charge for the privilege, and others you wouldn't go to if you had a full day's load.)

*Omigosh, cutie marks! Unless we change their location, you usually wouldn't be able to see them! I wonder how that particular domino effects society.

And improperly disposing of the used diaper would be a social failing on par with using someone's toilet and not flushing it.

Which begs the question of where they're meant to be disposed - ordinary garbage? And don't forget that a lot of places - including half of Ponyville - still use cloth.

On a similar note, when it comes to dining protocol, I'd imagine that diapers are a forbidden topic of conversation.

Certainly among polite ponies. The likes of Rainbow Dash are another matter, and I can see Pinkie Pie just missing this rule like she does so many others.

Likewise, I'd imagine drawing attention to the state of somepony else's diaper would be inappropriate, unless they're leaking, then which it is to be done discreetly (akin to toilet paper on shoe or fly undone). And of course, commenting on the state of your own diaper is also inappropriate...unless you're with friends.

But at the same time you can't not notice, and there's the social aspect (why aren't they asking me?).

For that matter, do you think that there would be either a preference or or rule for only being changed by the same sex? And how does it work for couples?

Oh man that sounds Amazing, can this please be a RP?

*Omigosh, cutie marks! Unless we change their location, you usually wouldn't be able to see them! I wonder how thatparticular domino effects society.

I don't think Cutie Marks would be entirely covered by a pony's diaper most of the time, just judging by all the padded pony art with the cutie mark clearly visible. It could be possible that diapers would be designed in such a way as to not obscure a pony's cutie mark, for various reasons.

For that matter, do you think that there would be either a preference or or rule for only being changed by the same sex? And how does it work for couples?

I don't think gender would really matter, for two reasons. 1) Ponies are usually naked (diapers not withstanding...) so I don't think there would be a typical taboo about being changed by the other gender, and 2) since the majority of the population usually consists of more mares to stallions, I'd wager there would be far more mares willing to change diapers in a professional capacity and it might be harder for a stallion then to find a fellow stallion to change him.

Depending on who changed them might also have different social connotations. A parent changing their child or vice versa would be seen as a normal part of your typical family. Being changed by a friend is a major sign of the friendship between them, as you trust them enough to give them that chance. Being changed by a lover might be a normal sign of affection or even a mild form of intimacy even. Being changed by a total stranger might be seen as rude or strange outside of an emergency like they're seconds away from leaking.

I don't really know how that kind of thing is arranged around here - I know it's banned on the site.

I don't think Cutie Marks would be entirely covered by a pony's diaper most of the time, just judging by all the padded pony art with the cutie mark clearly visible. It could be possible that diapers would be designed in such a way as to not obscure a pony's cutie mark, for various reasons.

I'm not very clear on how pony diapers work in the first place (especialy the tail) but the evidence seems clear.

Now of course one's own cloth diapers could be "monogrammed" so to speak, which would be one reason for them to hang on in the face of disposables.

1) Ponies are usually naked (diapers not withstanding...) so I don't think there would be a typical taboo about being changed by the other gender,

Humans are naked except for our clothes. If you put a garment around everypony's rear end you're going to end up with more of a nudity taboo than canon. That said, it could be regional - it's possible that in farming communities like Ponyville folks often "go bare" in the fields for convenience, which might breed a more relaxed approach.

Depending on who changed them might also have different social connotations. A parent changing their child or vice versa would be seen as a normal part of your typical family. Being changed by a friend is a major sign of the friendship between them, as you trust them enough to give them that chance. Being changed by a lover might be a normal sign of affection or even a mild form of intimacy even. Being changed by a total stranger might be seen as rude or strange outside of an emergency like they're seconds away from leaking.

I kind of see it as a scale depending on tribe/culture. Adult unicorns are expected to change themselves most of the time, although a parent or lover is acceptable - a close unicorn friend would likely parse a request as kind of weird or even foalish. Other ponies in cities can use the public stations or ask friends for help, but only in smaller towns without public changing rooms is it acceptable to ask an acquaintance or even a stranger just on the basis of need.

So to relate to the Mane Cast - they've pretty much all changed each other, even the unicorns, whereas Twilight would never have really imagined letting her Canterlot friends see her bare like that. (Of course they've all changed in the corner of the room when each other was present, but you don't look.) But even in this state of greater enlightenment, half of them would rather stay messy than be changed by a stallion. (I might lay out their individual preferences more later).

I don't think so and I think it will be pretty much the same. If it's everywhere then it loses all relevance and so diapers would not be associated with foals in any way.

although a parent or lover is acceptable -

I think for a teenage unicorn it would be considered extremely embarrassing to be changed by your parents. However lovers would change each other and possibly even have sex on the changing table.
I also think paid changing stations would pop up. Where you can buy a diaper and change yourself in it for a small fee. Perhaps also for a little more have someone there change you.

I'm not very clear on how pony diapers work in the first place (especialy the tail) but the evidence seems clear.

I would think the tail would be a hole. I mean in the real world you have diapers for dogs which also have a hole for the tail.

I think there will be several models of diapers. Some thin ones that go over the top and bottom but leave the sides exposed and some thicker ones that cover the entire flank.

One that those thin diapers could be like pull-ups and be possible to change with the hooves. If you can get the tail through.

I think a big one is the choice between a thin diaper or a thick one. A thin diaper would have a waistband and go over and under the hind legs before having a large path over the crotch. In that way the cutie mark is still visible and that would be a really big deal because a cutie mark is a big part of a pony's identity. However the danger of leaks is very much true or even that it get's out of alignment and the urine/manure slips past is always a risk. They could use thick diaper that go over the entire flank which would also be much better at minimizing the smell since they are sealed. However they would cover up the cutie mark. I would think the choice would depend on occupation. Ponies that move around a lot would go for the thinner diapers and just put up with the smell and the more frequent changes while those who sit still for long periods would go for the thicker diapers.
In response to the covering of the cutie mark maybe they sell stickers of cutie marks so that ponies can still identify themselves. I would imagine there would be services like that where you can put in your cutie mark and they'll make several thousand of those stickers.

Or you could just use cloth and paint it on using an outcut. Maybe with that in mind cloth diapers would still be more common than they are in our world because it would be much cheaper.

I would imagine those changing professionals to have an oath of silence just like real doctors do.

You can't have them never be weaned as the nutrients for milk need to come from somewhere. However one thing you could do is that there is a genetic mutation that causes mares to never stop producing milk after they had a child. They have to be milked and they likely would sell the milk to try and off-set the extra food costs associated with that. Many would still be poor due to it though so if others want to drink milk straight from the tap they would allow it if paid enough.

One thing I can also imagine is that cheap diapers have brand logo's on them. They are cheap because they are sponsored by various companies as advertisement.

I think to make it more fun self cleaning diapers would be limited use. Maybe something like 3 to 4 times or something. Enough to last an entire day without changing them. However they would be far more costly than even 5 non-enchanted diapers so would only exist for convenience and be exclusive to the rich.

I can imagine that Celestia to keep pollution down has put a heavy tax on disposable diapers. Kind of like how there are heavy taxes on cigarettes to try and discourage their use.

I think it would depend on how much. Refusing to change a diaper that is leaking severely would be considered impolite but refusing when it's only a little used would be perfectly acceptable. In fact I even think that demanding someone change you when your diaper is only a little wet would be seen as entitlement.

I think for a teenage unicorn it would be considered extremely embarrassing to be changed by your parents.

Well a teenager yes, because it implies they haven't mastered self-changing yet. By the time they hit adulthood they've mostly got over it.

However lovers would change each other and possibly even have sex on the changing table.

Well firstly, I think I've said before that tables are doubtful - a mat on the floor would make more sense, especially when dealing with something bigger than a baby.

And as for the other part ... thinking too much about it would probably stray into "creepy", but you have to wonder about that kind of thing too. Even if one assumes arousal suppresses other bodily needs temporarily (and wouldn't that make for some perverse incentives) there's still afterwards... it's probably best not to think about it.

I would think the tail would be a hole. I mean in the real world you have diapers for dogs which also have a hole for the tail.

Thanks for pointing that out - I looked up "horse diaper" but that was a bit different. I didn't think of trying other tailed quadrupeds! I suppose it isn't any more of an integrity risk than the leg holes, but it sort of feels that way? I don't suppose anyone here's ever changed one?

A thin diaper would have a waistband and go over and under the hind legs before having a large path over the crotch.

Do you have any pictures to help visualise this? (I assume the thick one resembles the Pinkie I posted.)

I think to make it more fun self cleaning diapers would be limited use. Maybe something like 3 to 4 times or something. Enough to last an entire day without changing them. However they would be far more costly than even 5 non-enchanted diapers so would only exist for convenience and be exclusive to the rich.

I often waver on to what degree unicorns can just vanish waste and such, but definitely tying such a spell to an object seems difficult, expensive and quite possibly a way to get your bottom eaten. Disinfectant and odourless properties, however, might be easier to induce - but still expensive!

Well a teenager yes, because it implies they haven't mastered self-changing yet. By the time they hit adulthood they've mostly got over it.

Well I think it stops once they leave the nest.

And as for the other part ... thinking too much about it would probably stray into "creepy", but you have to wonder about that kind of thing too. Even if one assumes arousal suppresses other bodily needs temporarily (and wouldn't that make for some perverse incentives) there's still afterwards... it's probably best not to think about it.

Yeah, it would be awkward. But it would be quite sensual I think. Something similar like taking a bath together or sleeping in the same bed.

Do you have any pictures to help visualise this? (I assume the thick one resembles the Pinkie I posted.)

Well they don't exist. It was my idea as normally there is no reason to cover the flank in real life. I think this would be closest
https://derpibooru.org/1930792?q=Diaper
There are basically two pads of fluff on either side.

I often waver on to what degree unicorns can just vanish waste and such, but definitely tying such a spell to an object seems difficult, expensive and quite possibly a way to get your bottom eaten. Disinfectant and odourless properties, however, might be easier to induce - but still expensive!

I think they could teleport the mess to a preestablished disposal place.

Well I think it stops once they leave the nest.

Coming back can mean a nostagia rush, though.

Yeah, it would be awkward. But it would be quite sensual I think. Something similar like taking a bath together or sleeping in the same bed.

I'm kind of thinking of the less sensual parts, like how instead of spooning afterwards you have to put your diapers back on or you'll have some dirty laundry to do in the morning.

Well they don't exist. It was my idea as normally there is no reason to cover the flank in real life. I think this would be closest
https://derpibooru.org/1930792?q=Diaper
There are basically two pads of fluff on either side.

Definitely doesn't look too secure. Maybe transparent flanks?

I think they could teleport the mess to a preestablished disposal place.

Bsed on Starlight teaching Trixie, I'd say that some could but not many, and with a high possibility of embarrassing mistakes - think kind of like what happened to that crystal pony in It's Not The Mane Thing, but ... reversed.

As far as thin v thick, I thick it's a matter of the occasion. When you need something thinner to move around you stick with a more sleek one or even a pull up type. And when you need something heavy duty you wear extra thick padding. I imagine that there would many styles and makes of diapers as having them be a big time product would lead to corporate competition and in turn aid in creating a wide variety of different diapers with different uses. And from that ponies would develop preferences to suit their lifestyle needs.

And on the subject of pollution since that was brought up, this is a fantasy world with magic, so I've personally always imagined that disposables could be by in large bio degradable. My next pony fic goes into a little about that and how they're made with clouds partly, so most of it is natural and what is not can easily be recycled, making them cheaper and more efficient to produce.

Definitely doesn't look too secure. Maybe transparent flanks?

Maybe, I don't know how good that would be.

As far as thin v thick, I thick it's a matter of the occasion. When you need something thinner to move around you stick with a more sleek one or even a pull up type. And when you need something heavy duty you wear extra thick padding. I imagine that there would many styles and makes of diapers as having them be a big time product would lead to corporate competition and in turn aid in creating a wide variety of different diapers with different uses. And from that ponies would develop preferences to suit their lifestyle needs.

I think real pull-ups wouldn't exist since you can't do that. You have the tail in the way which means you can't just slide them off.

And on the subject of pollution since that was brought up, this is a fantasy world with magic, so I've personally always imagined that disposables could be by in large bio degradable. My next pony fic goes into a little about that and how they're made with clouds partly, so most of it is natural and what is not can easily be recycled, making them cheaper and more efficient to produce.

As long as you use the right materials you can just burn it.

Now I'm wondering how much use a pony's tail is as opposed to the convenience of having it amputated. I certainly don't think everypony would go for it, but if it makes changing quicker and more convenient....

(Although I also can't really imagine pull-ups that a pony could easily ,.. well, pull up themselves.)

I actually like that choice of thin or thick diapers. It creates a nice amount of diversity.
I don't think amputation of the tail will be common since they see it as beautiful. Also remember that it's quite an involved procedure as leaving a stump will be very uncomfortable.

So, Mane Cast wise:

Twilight can change herself (and any other pony) in about five seconds flat with magic, which means she completly misses the social bonding aspect until her friends teach her.

Applejack wears and washes good old fashioned cloth diapers - though not always when she's working in the fields).. Generally she and her family change each other, but she's certainly willing to both ask and offer around town.

Pinkie Pie is something of a go-to changer, if you don't mind loud gossip about the contents. Conversely, she only ever seems to need changing when it would help fulfill another's talent or start a conversation with them.

Rainbow Dash tends to mooch changes of others without repaying much, but doesn't get many complaints because few ponies would find a change at her usual speed pleasant.

Fluttershy, bless her, is very timid about her diaper, which is one reason she rarely comes out - both being visibly wet or soiled and being changed by strangers mortify her. Good thing she has friends to take care of things for her now - training Angel to do it wasn't really working out.

Rarity doesn't change others much either, but then nor does she ask, being perfectly capable of handling such matters herself. Cloth diapers are the bread and butter of her store in this setting, which makes for a steady but unglamourous business.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30