The Network 107 members · 850 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
Golden Skies
Group Contributor

Welcomen, Bienvenue, Welcome! (10 points to whoever gets that reference...)
These are the (very late) reviews by a few of the members of this group for January 2014, I hope you enjoy and, please do provide feedback so you can let us know what we can do to improve in the future.

Starting off, we have Infinite Evil !

Hello all! This is your friendly neighborhood idiot Infinite Evil, here to provide reviews for some of the stories in our networked archives. Or whatever the hell we call the stories in there. I'm just the guy who reads the stuff and puts it where it belongs. But I am probably the most incompetent employee here.

Ladies and gentlemen, my work ethic.

Now, what stories shall we begin with? I found two that grabbed my attention. So I guess we start with those.

The first story that is up is Smile Song. by Pen Brush.

No, the period was not supposed to end the sentence. The period is literally in the story title. Now, maybe that's just me being nitpicky, but I don't think you should put periods at the ends of story titles unless the title is a sentence itself. It just makes me feel like you are obnoxious and it's just plain weird.

I just went over a completely unneccesary detail about a story. That's always sign of a great start.

Enough about periods in titles, let's actually get to the story itself.

Pinkie Pie listens to her favourite song.

That song is probably her most famous song of all time: Smile Smile Smile. Then again, from the title "Smile Song.", you could probably tell it wasn't about What my Cutie Mark Is Telling Me.

The story is basically summarized as this: the song is played in the background and Pinkie comments on how she can't do anything that she says she does in the song because she has lost the ability to speak due to villains or something. She can't speak and she goes on on how since she isn't able to communicate with anyone, she's basically unable to do what she always did, which is cheer up ponies.

The writing itself is alright for the most part. This is depressed Pinkie we're mostly dealing with, so the interpretation of her is basically at the writer's whim. I have no problem with it really. The only real problem I could find was that it felt a bit rushed, but then again, this is a commentary on a song. You got 3 minutes vs. 1k words. I mean, let's be honest: it's going to be rushed.

It's a decent sad fic. It's nothing really gripping in my opinion, but then again, I'm a real heartless bastard.

Now, there's one problem I have with this fic. If you want to throw your anger at me because of it, go ahead. I'll have the shields up.

Here it goes: the entire sadness factor of this fic relies on the idea that Pinkie cannot speak and therefore, cannot communicate with anyone else and even more therefore, cannot do what she's meant to do: cheer up ponies. Let me say that this logic makes no sense. Just because you cannot speak doesn't mean that you cannot communicate with others. You can still communicate with them, but the fic bases the idea that you cannot communicate effectively.

That idea is wrong.

Why is this idea wrong, you may ask, especially the author? You see, just because you can't speak doesn't imply mean you can't effectively communicate. You ability may have been hindered, and in a big way, but you can still do it. Pinkie is the vibrant, playful pony everyone knows. If she uses signals such as gestures and other wild things (like, I dunno, music!), she could still get her message across effectively. Also, can't magic help her regain her voice in some way? No? Fine, I'll say no for the convenience of the plot.

That's really all I got for this one. Let's see what we got:

Pros:
-decently written
-tone of sadness implemented effectively

Cons:
-a bit rushed
-gaping hole in logic and forces you to accept its explanation

7/10

It was eh. You want a quick, sad story? There it is, but don't complain that it's a bit rushed.

First story down; another to go. We're hauling ass right now.

Second story: To Love The Alicorn of Love by SuperPinkBrony12.

Discord has had certain "feelings" for a certain princess for a long time now. Feelings that if brought to the surface would ruin his chances of being with the mare he wants more then anything.
It's not Princess Celestia, that stoic old windbag. It's not Princess Luna, the mare of mystery. And it's not Princess Twilight, that overachiever.
It's none other then Princess Cadence, the alicorn of love. But there's a problem, Cadence is already taken. By that boring Captain of the Royal Guard, Shining Armor.
Well, since when has something like that ever stopped Discord? I mean if Cadence "thinks" he's Shining Armor then there's no harm in spending some "quality time" with her?
Right?

That's a mouthful of a description, but it works for the most part. Then again, that description is literally 1/4 of the story right there.

Even more unnecessary nitpicking. What am I, CinemaSins?

Implying you are as great as CinemaSins. +1 to sin counter
You have got to be kidding me.

Right then, onwards to the actual fic itself.

Immediately, this fic tells you that it's Discord x Cadence. Now, that's one of the more peculiar ships I've seen in a while and I'm okay with that. I don't actually have a preferred ship and will go along with anything if it entertains me.

I don't know whether to feel relieved or more concerned.

Warning: SPOILERS FOR THE FICIn any case, the plot itself is basically this: Discord feels better after events in episode, he goes and decides to disguise himself as Shining Armor to get access to Cadence, he does this, Shining sees him and kicks his ass, Discord feels pain and drags himself back to Fluttershy to get healed. Fin. That's it.

In all honesty, it's actually very funny to see Discord's plan fail miserably and for him to get his ass kicked as well. The writing itself is nothing impressive, but it isn't terrible and very much readable. The main strength in this story is the concept itself and how it delivers said concept: it doesn't and instead rips it apart in a humourous manner.

Now, there's still a slight problem I have with this fic: Discord himself. He is able to get his ass kicked without any elements doing the actual kicking. Isn't he supposed to be a, I don't know, OMNIPOTENT BEING?!?!

For those who don't know what "omnipotent" means: Omnipotent, adj. (of a deity) having unlimited power; able to do anything.

Discord has the powers of God here, everyone, if you haven't noticed by now. I don't really understand how Shining Armor could easily kick his ass. I mean, sure, Discord says he doesn't want to resort to violence, but it isn't violent if all he does it teleport Shining to somewhere distant. It doesn't matter where as long he remains alive and far away! Hell, put him with Picard or something. Let him figure out why Q is dicking around again.

Exactly!

Ugh! Even more flawed logic! Well, I guess it's forgivable because of the hilarious consequence of it.

Other than that, there ain't really much else to talk about. I'll sum it up:

Pros:
-unusual pairing
-deconstruction of shipping trope itself, sorta
-amusing

Cons:
-Discord is OMNIPOTENT!
-should have been a bit longer

8.5/10

You want a quick laugh involving an unusual pairing and Discord? I sold you just on Discord alone? Go read it then!

That is all from me, Infinite Evil. Until the next review quota, I'll see you next time.

-----------------------------
Next, we have our glorious omnipotent leader, Creations Sake

Take note, this is my first time doing this and my first time trying to type something extensive in fimfictions format thingy. But I guess their is a first for everything.

Shade of a Crystal Empire is a wonderful 68,453 word fic written by igotastewgoing who by the way is a great author whose story you should check out. But why you ask, well let's get right into it.
When Twilight Sparkle's magic goes haywire, the ponies are drawn back to the Crystal Empire, only to meet with a terrible, dark force. A tremendous sacrifice sends them on a journey through time to save not only their friend, but all of Equestria.

From the title and the description, you are probably already like. "ugh, another sombra and the crystal empire fic." I won't like I thought the same thing, but as soon as read the prologue you'll be astonished by the authors style and description. I was swept away by how well he thrusts you into a archaeological endeavor with some ponies you don't even know, finding something we all know and have probably forgotten about.

But after reading the introduction that will surely have you hooked, you'll find yourself wondering what will be up in the next chapter and what was that researcher going to do with what he found. Sorry, that will have to wait, because the next chapter brings you to twilight and her abode going about her stereotypical day. Now I was thinking, Da fuq. What's going on. But after reading on I found myself engrossed with twilights manic search for a magically sealed box that contained yet another relic that you all might remember. This ultimately leads to twilight enlisting her friends her friends for a steak out to catch some one or something that has been breaking into twi's home and disturbing her property. She wasn't letting no pony mess with her stuff.

Get this though, after it was all said and done. The intruder was none other than twilight herself, I don't want to explain too much and give away the story. I really want you peps to go and read it for yourselves. Still let me continue with this, after the first chapter Twilight and her friends find themselves traveling to canterlot with something of value. On the request of Princess Celestia herself, I mean I've read almost all the chapters now and I feel as though I should leave of here because if I go any further I would start revealing the real story itself and I think it's worth you all reading.
As far as pacing and structure goes, I can't complain. What am I saying it was freaking amazing. But when it comes to grammar I am no professional, yet I thought it was well enough for me to read through it without stopping. The only thing I didn't like was the spacing of the paragraphs and such, still that didn't stop me from faving and following this delightful author for all the work he is putting into this great story.
I say it's a must read for anybody who loves a good adventure story. (it falls under more categories but it is pure adventure through and through.)

Also on another note the author is also looking for a good editor, so if you have any experience, contact him after giving his story a good look.

-------------------------------------

Lastly, we have lil' ol' me, Golden Skies who doesn't really have the skill to put images into their reviews. :twilightblush:

So I reviewed Mares and Does by the delightful Pen Brush.

I'm personally a huge fan of these types of stories where a transformation takes place, so I'll acknowledge that my review might be a bit biased. Anyway moving on, the story overall is very well crafted, and aside from a few minor spelling errors, it was pretty flawless in those regards.

In terms of the story line itself, I admit that the plot of the story is not traditional seeing as it features the Mane 6 being transported to Earth(?) and turned into does. But, the way in which the Mane 6 are portrayed, and their reactions to the situations they face seem to fit right in with what I would expect if it were an episode from the show, which I should clarify is a very difficult thing to do, and is also something quite positive.

The only real complaint that I have is that it hasn't been updated in a long time, which coupled with the odd ending that it had in the last chapter (which I won't spoil for you), makes it a rather confusing read as it currently stands, but nonetheless, I'd recommend that you read all take the time to read it.
I'll give it a 7.6/10 on my scale, but keep in mind that a 10 would be a story on the level of some of my favorites of all time which are actually bestsellers, so this story is actually really high.

------------------------

Right, hope you all enjoyed the first month of reviews, expect more next month, and please feel free to let us know what you thought of this down below!

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

Everyone's reaction:

...I didn't even remember putting a period there. :rainbowlaugh:

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

Putting a period where? :rainbowhuh:

In one of my stories.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2812837 I just saw it there and I was like, "Let's make several pointless sentences about that period because I am clearly a genius." :derpytongue2: I'm not a genius.

Its alright, I enjoyed the reviews I got. Still learning to write, still just a teenager.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2813514 Aren't we all?

I'm kidding, I'm worse than a teenager.

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

:facehoof: Oh yeah, Smile Song is also up there, my bad.

im only 14, but my dad says I think about thinks most teenagers wouldn't think about, and I say things that require a lot of though. Apperently im a deep thinker, and my best stories are one shots.

what other stories are you looking forward to reviewing of mine?

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2813538 My only stories are one shots and they are full of idiocy and I'm not afraid to admit that. If anything, I bask in the fact and make it who I am.

I can think deep thoughts and all that stuff. I just never do because it would require a lot of effort and my day to day routine doesn't really leave me any time to do so. The time I do have to actually deep think, I don't because I generally understand the main concept to begin with and why complicate it with all that thinking?

I know, I'm should do it more. I can't right now. I have to write notes about what happened during the 20s.

Its a part of who I am, I cant really stop myself from thinking like that, so it isn't really hard for me.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2813629 You're one of those critical thinkers eh?

Keep on thinking. We need people like you.
You guys make me feel like an idiot. Then again, I do act like one.

I am pinkie, twilight applejack and Fluttershy. I act silly and stupid sometimes, I am really shy, I work hard on my stories and am really involved in stuff I enjoy, and I am smart and love reading. I am a bit like Rainbow dash in the fact im loyal to my friends and would defend them until im dead, but I hate rarity. She only real time she has shown her element at all is in the Manehatten episode and the one where she made everybody dresses, the rest of the time she is barely the element she should represent, and her character is always being changed around for the sake of the plot, so I dislike her. Also she is too much of a girly girl for me, no thank you...

There is a review for you.

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

'Equestrian Flame' for sure, and then there are a few others, but I don't want to take the opportunity of writing a review for one of your stories from the other reviewers. People might think I'm biased. :rainbowwild:

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2813709 Well well well well well. Well. Well well well.

Reenters

Well then, I'll have you know that I fit one of those ponies well. Fuck, I said it again.

I don't 100% fit just one of the mane 6. I am smart like Twilight, but I don't read nearly enough. I'm shy like Fluttershy, but I don't like animals. Not one bit. Pinkie is fun and silly, like me most of the time. However, I cannot eat that much sugar. Rarity has a sense of pride and all that crap. I do have a somewhat inflated ego, but I can control it. I, like her, hate manual labor. Rainbow Dash is weird with loyalty and I'm somewhat like that. There's no real threat to my friends though, so I can't really tell. Applejack is my least favorite pony. I don't hate anypony. I just don't like AJ though. I don't.

Cool, also Applejack is the reason ponies are alive! Rarity doesn't contribute much...besides clothing people don't actually need.
I don't think you would be biased. Not like you are actually inclined to like every single story I got.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2813825 Fimfiction logged me out for some stupid reason. Now I gotta write all this crap again.

All Applejack really does is provide apples and apple related products. That's it.

No, not that Apple.

Ponyville will be fine, or at the very least, they'll survive. The Apple family doesn't provide all of their food. They're not screwed, unless they want alcohol. Then they'll have to fight to get it.

As for Rarity, it's not her fault that she stuck where she is. She's a fashion designer who dreams of making it big and is stuck in a small town. She'll get out eventually. We've already seen multiple attempts where she has succeeded in getting higher in the social ladder. In the end, she'll be at the top, doing what she wants. However, the end ain't going to be here for a while.

Also, this;

THIS IS WHINING!
Exactly my point of one of the episodes where she isn't her element. She isn't even smart there. If that was in our world, she would have been murdered because her captors wouldn't think she was worth the effort. That's giving little girls a bad impression that complaining to their captors wont get them killed. Then she takes all of the gems.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2813975 I will admit that episode pissed me off. Mainly because the Diamond Dogs are the worst slavers ever. For fuck's sake, that's not even putting in an effort to control your slave.

You have to consider that. Her captors were complete idiots and she knew that. That's how she was able to turn the tables. She wasn't being a complete idiot and actually tried to find a way out of the situation.

The reason there are times where Rarity doesn't act like her element because it shows the drastic contrast between who she can be at times and who she should be. This huge contrast helps you see her character development. You can see what exactly she learned about being the element of generosity.

The Diamond Dogs deserved to lose those gems for their idiocy. Rarity is fabulous bitches.

But they always change around her and make her the opposite of generous in so many episodes just to make her get to the whole lesson. She is too girly and too much afraid of getting dirty or anything wrong with her body that she is a total prissy bitch. I just don't like her, if I had to say who was my least favourite pony and what number she was on my favourite pony list, she would be 100, right above blue blood.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

2814055 Fine, don't like the girly pony. I continue to find her as one of the best of the mane 6. She isn't afraid to express who she is. It's okay if she doesn't want to get dirty or acts all girly. She's not forcing the stereotype.

That's the thing: people think she is the stereotype up to 11. She can be a bit much at times, but you can see that she is confident in herself and she she fights for her dream.

It's all a matter of preference. Hate on Rarity all you want. I don't care. I'll argue for her. Or get someone much more qualified to do so since my arguments are horrible.

Hey, I don't like Applejack much and that's okay. It's all a matter of preference.

she would be 100, right above blue blood.

Even she didn't deserve what blue blood did to her.

when will there be a new review? I love reading these reviews, and there appears to only be this thread.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

3197006 I've contacted these guys and I have no idea what's going on either.

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

3197006 We were originally planning on doing this monthly, but there seemed to be a general lack of interest among the reviewers to submit more reviews. :unsuresweetie: I'm more than happy to continue doing this, but we would need more people to submit reviews. I'll ask around though and see what can be done. :twilightsmile:

I would review a story if need be. I review stuff on rage reviews...its almost the same except these stories are not absolute shit.

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

To which stories are you referring to? And, we would greatly appreciate the help.

Any story...I dunno.

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

Sorry, my question was weirdly stated. :twilightsheepish: Anyway, if you could write a review for a story and send it to me before May 1st that would be great.

Infinite Evil
Group Admin

3204338 I sent her that master list of high priority stories. Figured that would be okay with you.

Golden Skies
Group Contributor

Yeah that works perfectly. Thanks. :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33