MLP: Hard Analysis & Criticism 257 members · 72 stories
Comments ( 115 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 115

I wander if this is going to be the general reception for the movie, or if this is only the early views? Also don't believe the comments about the music being great, it's not.

I can already see the flood of stories about the Princesses not really moving the sun and moon. :rainbowlaugh:

Wait so is the movie good or bad? Because I did not like what I read from the book...

Oh. So it's like everything else in modern MLP... painfully average.

Not to mention that Tempest only works for the Storm King because of that promise for the restoration of her horn. It doesn't explain why she enjoys doing what he wants her to do.

Yeah, they were pretty much like, "Hi, we're in the movie, but we're not doing anything important, bye!"

It's hilarious at how useless and pathetic the princesses are portrayed in a crisis, isn't it?

Also, that day and night cycle without the princesses? That completely contradicts what Princess Twilight Sparkle and Twilight's Kingdom have told us. So the movie is giving us bullshit on that one.

Here a link to the soundtrack I posted in another thread if you want to hear for yourself.

Also, Twilight rendered all of the heroes efforts to seek help completely useless when she tried to steal the shape-shifting macguffin. Seriously girl, you should know better than to use your friends as unwitting pawns.:ajbemused:

Humanity
Group Admin

:rainbowderp: Why am I terrified of that second image?

Because of the uncanny valley that this new animations use, trying to make character look cuter but, instead, just gave a vibe that something is off.
It scares me too. Me, the one who usually slashers smiles makes me laugh more than anything else! This proves how fucked up this abomination is.

GYCK, I'm the type who likes strange eye related things and i don't like it!

its to overdone. thank you earlier staff restraint on the original shot... something that we don't have nearly as much of these days. the backgrounds to bright, the eye effect is to large, from being that of twinkling stars to BLINDING STAR-IRIS, and the freaking mouth is just to damn big!

ill be waiting on further fallout from this whole thing as it develops, but really? the sun and moon moved in normal motion during when celestia and luna were out of it? thats... the hell even IS that?

the sun and moon moved in normal motion during when celestia and luna were out of it? thats... the hell even IS that?

It's bullshit, that's what it is. And a clear sign of writer's apathy.

the sun and moon moved in normal motion during when celestia and luna were out of it? thats... the hell even IS that?

The biggest retcon in the show's history, or what 6140827 said.

That's not a retcon, that's just bullshit writing. It would be so simple to solve this problem by having the villains put the princess on a mind control spell or something and that would be it.

Writer apathy and abject bullshit. gonna go with this. we've seen what happens when the princess's are indisposed two times to my count. in the S4 finale when the powers were passed to twilight, she had to do the raising. in the events of the S4 premiere, the day and night were up simultaneously.

this is the kinda thing that shows they weren't thinking there. that's chapter 1, page 1- watched-the-freaking-intro-crawl kinda shit. and i bet there's no explanation or even a handwave to justify like the villains were doing it with the response people were having in the OP. if there is, ill be surprised should i hear of it.

:pinkiegasp:

That's absolutely terrifying! What have they done to you Pinkie? :pinkiegasp:

Reminds me Willy Wonka's the boat scene. :twilightoops:

Such friendly character turned into a psychologist nightmare.

*See the decapitated Twilight from "Smile" animation*
Not that thank you! :twilightoops:

:twilightoops:
...You seem tense...

... Do you have anything to get off your chest? I heard it's very therapeutic to rant about stuff you hate. I'm willing to hear it all.

BTW I am very familiar with the guy who tried roast you. He's a grade A asshole. He act acts like he knows what he's talking about, but in reality he's just a rambling loon. It's best not to pay too much attention to him.

I hear that. The only reason I still keep tabs on the show is that my Aspergers makes it really hard to stop something I started (that I like).

I think most people like that operate on the "no true scotsman" fallacy (for reference:Logical Fallacy")

i already decided i was going to see it in the theater, but i decided to peek at the first few minutes. what bothered me was the framerate layers. stuff in the background (and spike) moves at 60fps, while ponies in the foreground move at what looks like 30fps. it never feels wrong in anime, what happened here?

Thus proves why I'll NEVER bow to EITHER of those alicorns as long as I live.

Don't look into her deadlights.

I don't think it looks that bad. It's firmly in the uncanny valley, though.

That's just one review. I'd say wait it out. Ghostbusters 2016 has like a 70% rating or something.

I couldn't find the full review.

Hasbro intervention?

Humanity
Group Admin

Maybe I should ask around town if any of my neighbors made that review.

I'm still seeing both reviews up (St Louis and Austin).

Lore-Lei's link. But apparently the Austin review 404's if you try to see the whole thing. The other one still works for me.

I just looked at the Metascore. It's 39/100. That's pretty bad.

Comment posted by CrashFan78 deleted Nov 26th, 2018

So far, things aren't looking good.

:twilightoops:

I really didn't think I would have to do this, but being beaten out by The Emoji Movie warrants this:

MLP movie,

I mean, I knew the movie was going to be bad, but not worse-than-Emoji-Movie bad.

The score is now 43/100.

D48

6140817 6140827 6140853 6140861 6140589
For what it's worth, this is actually more of a rollback to season 1/2 than anything else. Prior to season 4, the the only piece of evidence that might point to the princesses actually doing something with the sun/moon was the series premier which could just as easily be explained as a high end illusion diverting the sun's light away from Equestria while numerous other incidents and contradictions made it far more likely that this wasn't the case and that it was either a deliberate lie or a religious belief/ritual that at least Celestia didn't realize didn't do anything.

RT Score (So far for both Critics and now Audiences)

D48
D48 #38 · Oct 7th, 2017 · · 1 ·

That is hilariously pitiful, and I guarantee it won't work very well because most people who go to RT are going to read reviews to see what is actually going on, especially when you have such a drastic difference between the audience and critics.

Also, it has officially dropped to rotten at this point, and will probably only continue to fall further because the fanboys and critics who like the show will have mostly thrown themselves at it already while more general critics will take longer to get to it and parents will give it the trash reviews it deserves over the next few weeks.

links? I need to see it for myself.

D48
D48 #40 · Oct 7th, 2017 · · 1 ·

Just pull up the Rotten Tomatoes website. Movies in theater are right on the front page because that's 90% of why people go to that site.

Huh, I think it was 59% when I checked which means it is steadily dropping as expected. I wonder where it will settle.

The Movie is now down to a 57%.

The bandwagon effect, I'd say.

Humanity
Group Admin

That part of the charts ultimately doesn't amount to much. Remember, it's perfectly possible to get enjoyment out of something that's awful or abysmal in quality.

Humanity
Group Admin

Exactly. For example, watch this and try not to laugh.

D48
D48 #45 · Oct 7th, 2017 · · 1 ·

That's what the EQD link we were laughing about was. They sent all the rabid fanboys to rush over and inflate the audience score, so of course it is stupid high at the moment. It'll come down over time as other people see and review the movie, but that's going to take a while to kick in.

Humanity
Group Admin

Equestria Daily basically committed an act of anti-sabotage? That's a....very strange kind of low.

D48

Yeah, 6144633 pointed it out yesterday.

This isn't the first time they've messed with online votes, but in the past it was more pranks on people with a write-in slot on pols than anything else, and we've seen that kind of thing happen in plenty of other more strange and frustrating ways anyways. Case in point, rickrolling a sports stadium.

D48

I just checked the ratings, and the drop is starting. The audience score is down to 90% now, and I'm sure it's going to be all downhill from here.

D48
D48 #49 · Oct 8th, 2017 · · 1 ·

Honestly, this is faster than I expected it to drop. I figured it would be getting flooded with bullshit reviews all weekend and wouldn't really start to drop until next weekend. I was honestly expecting it to keep going up at least through tonight as fanboys that counldn't get to it during the week went and parents held off until a bit later to take their kids to avoid the crowds, so I'm genuinely surprised that there was any drop at all this early.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 115