Brony Discussion Center 116 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I'm doing a division/classification paper on the unoriginality present in crime dramas and I need help coming up with information on the many things that seem to be in all the shows, making them indistinguishable from each other.

This will be a great asset to me, especially since it is due in six hours...:twilightblush:
That one was my bad...

The reason why you are seeing some of the cliches commonly found in crime dramas is because of one word...

"Dramatization".

Dramatization is when you try to make something that is "Ripped from the Headlines" or "Inspired By" a true story and heck even in police work and criminal activities to make it less boring. Like, let's say that a black-hat hacker is trying to hack a very restricted system to get a few classified files and leak it on Wikileaks. In a drama, the one who is monitoring it would be like typing a bunch of random code and shit like if he was fighting against the black hat hacker.

In reality, he would either jack the plug out of the system to counter the hacker's hacking, then once the coast is clear, probably put it back in, run a page or two of code and report it to the supervisor about this incident.

So, there is the answer to some of the cliches.

A hiden realationship between two persons, a male polis as a main character (fort he most of the time)

Good, good, that's going under the "Swiss Army Knife IT Guy, or Hollywood doesn't understand how computers work" category

Forensics teams all seem to sit in on victim interrogation. And order police around. They aren't just a bunch of lab nerds.

All criminals confess right away, when faced with a contradiction.

I still love the 'enhance' button. That somehow generates data where none existed before, to make an image clearer. Like, enough to read things in the reflection of people's eyes.

Also to expand on that cliche...

1. In crime dramas, there will be a Google spoof like "Boogle" or some shitty name. The reason why is Google is copyrighted, and for the shows that include Google in the crime dramas, its because they agreed to have a product placement deal.
2. The OSes are inaccurately large because we need to see what they're doing. In real life, the OS is so small to the camera. So the special effects studios increases the font to an abnormally large size just to see what the main character is doing.
3. The OSes are generic or bland ripoffs of Windows and Mac OS is because, like I said, they don't have product placement deals with them. The crime dramas that have actual Windows and Mac OS systems have product placement deals.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6