The Clop Workshop 428 members · 693 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

Hey all!

I was just talking with a friend about writing sex scenes, and after a giving him what I thought were some good pointers, he summed up my advice so eloquently that I felt I needed to share it.

Writing a sex scene is like writing a combat scene only with different body parts involved.

Think about it. When you are writing combat you have to consider the actions and reactions of everyone involved. What the first person--or in this case, pony--does has an effect on the second one. You must consider the body positions, the actions and reactions, and most importantly, the intent. When one pony moves, the other must adjust. Every action gets a reaction.

And just like writing combat it is best to leave some of it to the imagination. Now, I've been told that my sex scenes get kinda descriptive, and I would have to say that is true, but I also feel that I try to create an atmosphere to them more than I do a clinical description. I want a mood and emotion to be the prevalent part of the scene. Like I said above, intent is the most important thing. You want the emotion of the scene conveyed.

If two ponies are fighting for honor you want that shown. The same is true if they are fighting for revenge, hatred, necessity or any other reason. Now, transfer that to a sex scene. If the ponies are in love, you want that love conveyed. If they are in lust, you want that. Or revenge, or anger, or any other emotion that can lead to sex.

Don't confuse sex and violence. Sex is the most beautiful and wonderful thing that two beings can share with each other, but it can also be a powerful tool for many, many other things. Let the emotion show, and remember the keys about the choreography. It's a combat scene with different body parts.

I don't want to write a multi-thousand word dissertation here, so I'll stop now. I hope this helps someone in their approach to writing a sex scene.

Flint Sparks
Group Admin

Writing a sex scene is like writing a combat scene only with different body parts involved.

I just want to add that there are some kinks where the line between sex and combat becomes blurred.

Wow. That... was an amazing way of putting it.
Those were some sage words there... sage words indeed.

I'll take his message to heart. I'm writing my first clop scene and it is really, really, really difficult!

Don't confuse sex and violence. Sex is the most beautiful and wonderful thing that two beings can share

Writing a sex scene is like writing a combat scene only with different body parts

[color= Royalblue]< This is genius

They know it
VVV
2043648>>2043670>>2043714

Wow, that made complete sense. I never thought about it like that and I bet I'm not the only one. Thanks for the advice!

The key is to get descriptive enough for people to know what they're doing, but don't overdo it! Else you'll end up making Lord of the Rings by accident. :ajbemused:

Also, for the love of :trollestia: don't get overly dramatic. People make mistakes in sex, and while it's okay to create a fantasy, making something overly perfect and contrived really takes the fun out of it. Also, don't sacrifice your signature writing style to get sappy.

2043648 Just as you need to be description in action and reaction, a good way to show and not tell emotion could be to describe the sensations of emotion in great detail. I never see enough people writing clop that actually says what the characters are feeling, and this can be a really important part of building on the nature of that character because everyone's experience is so different, and their sensations during intimacy are when their character can be most exposed for who they are. I like using similes to describe the different stages of sensation, and this can apply to both emotional and physical touching of a character.:twilightsmile:

2044118>>2044667 Totally agree with both of you.

:pinkiehappy:

2045205 Eeyup :eeyup:

2044667 Good Girl. :twilightsmile: Nice insights.

Good Girl

....I feel like a dog.:rainbowlaugh: thanks.:twilightsmile:

2046853 I thought you were a Tyger. :ajsmug: Sorry didn't mean to sound demeaning. :twilightblush:

2051170 "Want" it? Take it.
.... Yeah, take it bitch:rainbowwild: (what I say to my history teacher when handing in assignments)

2056467 Such language, I'm grinning.

2057404 Onoes! Tas tigers!:fluttershysad: Actually, I heard that there have been sightings of late that are getting backed by the biologists, so who knows? Plenty can go on in that deep dark Tasmanian bush:raritywink:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17