Human in Equestria 16,897 members · 17,097 stories
Comments ( 47 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 47

Just how prognathic are Pony muzzles?

When we look at side-view of pony faces, they have very little muzzle to speak of. It doesn't jut out as far a normal pony. In fact, I'd say that pony muzzles stick out as far as the average human nose.

Pony heads are also globular, like human heads. Our earlier ancestors, Homo Sapiens Heidelbergensis had bulbous shaped heads

while Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis had a longer, more football shaped head

These animated ponies have rounded heads, like modern humans

and with their miniscule muzzles, I think they would look more like the Apes from Planet Of The Apes (2001):

Round heads, minor lower-facial prognathism (foucusing on the mouth and nasal structure), this fits the bill, in my opinion.

The rest of the problem lies in their body. Of course, they're quadrupeds, and they seem to have thicker structure (either muscle or bone---I don't know), but it would have to be proportionate to carry the head.

What do you guys think?

Honestly, their facial structure seems more cat-like than anything else.

Don't forget about the abnormally huge eye sockets their skulls would have (if the show's anatomy is to be taken literally).
A pony skeleton would certainly be...interesting.

2320210 I think you're over-analyzing it a bit much. I mean, you never talk about how unrealistic the proportions in anime characters are, do you?

I remember a fanfic that explained that, where pony eyes weren't orblike, but plates. How that would work, I have no idea, but it makes room for the brain and stuff.

Anime characters look relatively human. However, I mean this more in a context of Human In Equestria.

So many stories revolve around the idea that a Human somehow goes to Equestria, what would the ponies look like?

Anime is different because if I woke up in the Naruto universe tomorrow, everyone would look normal. Naruto would look like a blond, tan, blue-eyed fifteen year-old kid. I would perceive them NORMALLY.

Ponies, however, are different. I do not subscribe to the idea that, if i'm in Equestria everything would look animated. You would perceive everything NORMALLY. Obviously, the ponies are too anthropomorphized to appear like normal ponies.

Basically, I'm trying to find a decent analog to what the ponies would look like to human eyes, and not through animated ones.

Well, in that case, if they still function on the same principles as human eyes do, pony eyes must be really farsighted. :rainbowlaugh:
But of course they wouldn't.

"Oh, to be old again."

And yes, I like that explanation as well. As it explains the changes the eyes go by as they being plates, have the basic muscle extenshion and contraction, as well as a unique visibility basics.

2320313 I've always imagined them something akin to this. (Note, picture is a... little suggestive. :raritywink:)

It's more anatomically 'real' while still looking much cuter than real life ponies. Just the right blend of real world pony anatomy and some of the odd proportions of the show ponies.

That and it's Octavia. :rainbowwild:

It's a believable body structure, but it has to be proportionate to the round head.

Your picture looks more pony-like than my little pony-like. The source material, the show, shows the ponies with very human like faces.

2320462 True.

While the head is much more real world pony like than the show it does still have some human traits. Not the human-like rounded skulls, but it would seem she's capable of full human facial expressions like the ponies in the show.

The eyes are more forward, like a human's, and also have very defined eyebrows.

Your picture ...

(Not really 'my picture', though I wish I could draw like that.)

Comment posted by OneAmongOthers deleted Dec 6th, 2013

Image is a little suggestive so try to look past that (or not if you prefer :raritywink:), but this is how I see equestrian anatomy.

Their eyes are almost more inline with their head size, and their bodies as a whole are better structured. Not overly huge heads with a smaller snout/muzzle. Also more clearly defined shoulders are good too.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Anime characters look relatively human.

I beg to differ:

Besides, what's wrong with them actually looking like ponies?:

Rather than this?:

That anime...thing is fucking grotesque.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the ponies actually looking like ponies. But they don't because these are anthropomorphized. They have large, round heads, short muzzles for a more numa like face, colored expressive eyes etc.

I dunno man, I don't think you should mistake the map for the terrain, it's just an animated television show.

Imagine if we took the anatomy of other animated characters seriously:

I always wondered if we even classified them correctly; I doubt we have, from their rather un-equine faces.

2320939 Because this: 2320422 looks a lot better than that. :rainbowwild:

And it still has relatively realistic proportions so is possible with standard biology.

Comment posted by Branagain deleted Dec 6th, 2013

2321320 :ajbemused:

Edit: Oh wait, you meant the that on your thing. Whoops. The that is Cadence.

Comment posted by Branagain deleted Dec 6th, 2013

2321349 I just realised that and edited my comment. But I figured you'd know I meant Cadence, since it's worded "Besides, what's wrong with them actually looking like ponies?"

You gotta Joshin' me! You don't like that picture?

I guess you're just not a horse person, what a shame.

I think they're beautiful, powerful, and majestic creatures.

Oh, I see you still have that Octavia I gifted you. :moustache:

2321383 I think the art is pretty good. And I do think horses look pretty cool. But horses with MLP colour schemes, in this case pink, looks... um... lets just go with detracting.

I see a real horse, standard browns and whites kind of thing, it looks fine.

I see a horse with pinks, blues, purples, yellows and whatnot and I don't like it.

Also I look at a real horse and don't think 'that's something I can fuck' :raritywink:

:rainbowlaugh:

2321415 Actually if you look at the link you'll notice it's the original from Deviantart, while your pic was from imageshack.

This Octavia pic was in my Deviantart favourites already. :raritywink:

2321477 Hey, you're the one who re-uploaded a picture on (most likely) your own imageshack account. Who's the one dishonouring the creator? :rainbowwild:

I don't have an imageshack account though. :raritydespair:
and I used imgur. :raritydespair:
and it was also on my deviantart favorites :raritywink::raritydespair:

2321511 Well you know what?

Better run for cover, you'll be quick or be dead!

2322468 I remember when I first saw that pic, I thought Pinkie was a vampire and had to do a double take. :rainbowlaugh:

Even with flat teeth the angle her mouth is at combined with those eyes and their thick black outlines it was very vampire-ish to see from the thumbnail. :rainbowwild:

2322501 lol.

Applejack's expression though. :rainbowlaugh:

The awkwardness is strong with this one. :moustache:

2322518 Everyone likes Twilight's expression. Twilight is a sexy nerd. :twilightblush: :trollestia:

2322577 Yep.

Octavia is still my fav though. :heart:

2322629 ... You and me have quite the differing opinions. :rainbowlaugh:

But since she has no canon personality I can't really argue with anyone's views. :eeyup:

2322649 I've always seen her as well off, but not the rich arrogant type, who was the type of romantic person you'd take to a fancy restaurant and buy a fine wine and... a ... daffodil salad... yeah lets go with that.

The kind of person who you'd walk along the street and just talk with, about common interests and such.

She may have dark colouring as far as ponies go, but that doesn't strike a gothic key with me. After all she can't control her coat colour, unless she dyes it. Which with my head canon of her wouldn't fit her personality.

I see her as a good listener, confident, kind, formal, maybe a little 'uppy' at times, that sort of thing.

But like I said, she has no canon and can be whatever you want.

2322728 Yeah... I still don't see her as a goth.

Partly because I'm not even sure goths would exist in Equestria on the account of a completely different culture...

2322789 Even if it somehow was canon, I'm not seeing it. :derpytongue2:

2320210 I'd imagine they'd look something like this.

except without the murder face.

aaaaaaand what's wrong with this particular murder face and murder faces in general?

Their flexibility coupled with some of the dialogue from Feeling Pinkie Keen suggests they have a lot more joints in their legs than real life equines.

I wonder how their internal organs differ in terms of structure, position and quantity from real life equines.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 47