Human in Equestria 16,852 members · 17,041 stories
Comments ( 37 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 37

Scientifically-tested evidence that canon Ponies should have a mass comparable to humans, not real ponies.

I kinda sorta collaborated with Admiral Biscuit on this. I didn't do any of the experimentation, but I did a good chunk of the math involved at the end, posted in the comments... :twilightsheepish:

1433291 A good show! You've earned a commendation from me!
Whatever that's supposed to be...

My headcanon will be glorious now.:pinkiecrazy:

Be sure to commend the one who actually did the experiment, Admiral Biscuit. I'm basically just a calculator in this.

Firstly: who is him?
Secondly: Dafuq are you babbling about. It seems to me to be a meta post.

I fear the experiment is flawed, as Halflingers possess the ability to alter their density at will (much like cats). They use this ability to avoid being stabled at night. Also to stumble into doors and bust them to flinders.

I fear this rascally ability renders any comparisons doomed to failure.

See the hypertext?

Scientifically-tested evidence that canon Ponies should have a mass comparable to humans, not real ponies.

This hypertext? The hypertext that redirects you to a blog on this site that talks about this very subject?

Yeah... why don'tcha try clicking it?

Yah, this comes out to about what I had figured doe a pony. I do calculate a Pegasus to be lighter though, giving them the avian characteristic of being hollow boned.

1433357 1433368

(not directed at you, Drawdex, just in response)

I'm just kidding anyways. At least for the most part. ManicPony on the other hand...

Aha, but so do ponies. That's why I picked a Haflinger.

Also, the fact that were this realistic unlike the show, Ponies would actually have body size that varied from member to member like any species, instead of being carbon copies (with few exceptions) of the same scale model body with different coloration and accessories (horns and wings).

1433407 Ahhh... Are you trying to logic the Cake Twins?

Density, volume and mass are connected, the experiment took this in mind as it classified the thing that was not to change internally due to volume.

If it modifies its density into a denser creature it would be smaller and have the same mass. Less dense and it would be bigger with the same mass. And in any other way you please as it doesn go outside the simple ecuation.

ρ=M/V; never forget.
ρ: Density.
M: Mass.
V: Volume

INB4 Woadbearer mentions magic.

But that would be into added mass, no modification in density due to magic.

Somehow I don't think Woadbearer was being serious, Drawdex...

I am quite well aware of how density works in reality, yes. My comment was meant to be taken humorously, given that we are talking about a literal kitchen experiment seeking to determine the relative volume of plastic ponies. I posited a change in density similar to that of cartoon characters, who do indeed seem to be able to alter theirs with no change in physical size.

I get the feeling people may be taking this a bit too seriously. :rainbowlaugh:

Well, having gotten that out of the way, you got any serious comments about the experiment/math that you wanna make?

only read the title but all i could think about is this guy

So wait...

This undeniable proof that AJ should be between 106 and 152 pounds (I'm guessing on the higher end since she's probably all muscle), when compared to the height graph (where your average pony is just over four feet at the poll) means that the ponies in my story aren't all that heavy! So my idea that my main character could at some point pick one up and huck it a short distance into a lake (as part of a water fight - it's all in good fun) is not unreasonable!

Thank you - both of you - for using Science to further my pursuit of the most realistic PonyxHuman love story ever!

Now let's see... how much would Etherea actually weigh when not using her Pegasus magic? Hmmm... :twilightsmile:

I just love to do so, mostly due to the inmertion of the discussion.

Doesn't mean I don't laugh at the stupidity I just made.

You know who...

LOL that was actually pretty funny.
—Now read the damn blog already.

Also, can we get thread sticky for this? It's pretty useful so...

Etherea's basically a real pony with a slightly different body structure to account for larger brain and stuff, right? That's what I remember from your story, anyways. About how tall is she at the withers, would you say?

——SINCE I'M THE CALCULATOR OF COURSE. :twistnerd:

I did and it ain't linking the hyper...

That's gonna be a problem on your end then, buddy...
http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/192698/science
If copying and pasting the link directly doesn't work, then I don't know how to help you.

I'll be the government agency that pretends to care and approve this blog. :raritywink:

kthxbye I already paid my taxes

I'll admit I did the experiment for selfish reasons (my own fic, natch). Still, good to know that everyone else can get some use out of it!

So my idea that my main character could at some point pick one up and huck it a short distance into a lake (as part of a water fight - it's all in good fun) is not unreasonable!

. . . maybe. Depends on how strong your main character is. For a play, I had to lift a dead body off the stage (5'6" female, about 120#). At that point, I was still largely stocking tires at Firestone, and regularly tossed 200 tires a week to the second-story storage. Still, the getting down and lifting a 120# girl, then standing up with her was a challenge. Doable, but a challenge. Assuming the pony's standing before being tossed, the human has a big advantage. He should probably grab from the brisket (chest) and rump, close to his chest, and then stand up straight (if he's young and dumb, using his back; if he's old and wise, lifting with his legs). For maximum pony-toss distance, he'd want to kind of run forward and squat then straighten on the toss, or just crouch and straighten might work for height (caber toss).

[After much deliberating and deleting and rewording and finicky math having nothing to do with the actual experiment or my particular areas of interest, fuck it. :facehoof: ]

As to your question... Sadly no, as it turns out. My apologies. Better and less distractible man-apes than I are going to have to give it a go. I suppose I'm not in the right mindset for seriousness tonight. :rainbowwild:

1433701 My little brother weighs more than that, and I frequently pick him up and toss him places, so it's not implausible. I always say that I trust him as far as I can throw him, which is pretty damn far.

Eh, not quite "real pony." They're right around 3 feet tall at the withers and 5 or so at the poll. Much of their height is leg and neck though - I went with alicorn-like slim proportions but on a shorter frame. I liken theirs to a greyhound-like build.

They're a bit big to be just tossing around.

They're still not likely to be much heavier than the average human anyways, since they've got a slim build.

Is he lying down (like, on the ground at your feet) or standing when you pick him up?

It might be easier if he's not dead-body limp, too, I don't know.

You could measure how far you can throw him. Perhaps repeat the experiment several times :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 37