Human in Equestria 16,897 members · 17,099 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Okay now, sticking to the concept of an alien huminiod entering Equestria, I'm looking for some ideas on what you guys think should happen.

Should there be conflict between good and evil?
What cliches should I avoid?
How does this alien actually come into Equestria?
Should he have special psykic powers?
Roughly how many words per chapter do you want?

My one advice, dont make it gary stu. If you dont know what that is, it means don't make a character with no flaws. For how it got to equestria, something wrong with its ship. It depends on if you were planning on Equestria being another universe or another planet. Really all these depend on your ideas. You can't expect us to write your story for you.

Okay, so I'm currently working on a fic like this, and I've come up with an original villain, so what I'm doing is going to be a major conflict between good and evil. For cliches...I didn't pay much attention to those when writing. What I did was analyze each situation and do my best to determine how each character who was present would react as realistically as I could. To keep this response short, you could take a look at what I have so far, your more than welcome to bounce off of some of my ideas if you want. Hope this was somewhat helpful. Good luck with your story planning, friend:pinkiesmile:

Conflict between good and evil is nice.
Avoid instant friendship, romantic tension for no reason, and sad, lonely main characters.
The way the humanoid enters this realm can be a number of different things; and original mode of transit is always nice.
Special psychic powers? Only if it's normal for his/her/it's species or kind, or it's significant for it to gain such abilities as the story progresses. (Example: In my story, human gains a magical ability to move between universes. Discord grants this power so he can complete a trans-universal scavenger hunt. Poor example.)
Words per chapter? 1K-3K are how I roll, but many think 3K-5K is the sweet spot.

You can do a conflict between good and evil, but to make it more interesting you could create a villain that isn't as obvious, and whose acts of evil doesn't scream evil in your face. The evil vs good framwork in MLP is as blunt as they come, you can spot the difference between the good and bad guys a mile away. If your main character is an alien then he/she most likely isn't used to things being quite that set in stone. Either make him/her/it question that, or you could make the ponies question him.

Gary Stue, I mean it, avoid making one like the plague. Don't make instant friends, don't fall into the trap of making a two dimensional character that just exudes one single emotion or state that dominates them. And don't overpower the technology either, even if you avoid making the character itself a Gary Stue, it still takes away much of the tension and fun of reading if he can whip out his Batman shark repellent stick and solve everything.

Be creative. Was it by chance or design he/she/it arrives in Equestria? If it was chance, was it by accident/malfunction/ negative occurrence? Or was it just a happy coincidence, a random set of events with no discernible negative impact? And if it was by design, was it something long planned? Does it tie back to something in the alien's homeworld/place and he fled to this newly discovered but not yet investigated planet? Or was he just out exploring planets randomly that had a biosphere? Those details will set the tone for the story, and depending on the choice, it might have an effect the rest of the story out.

You can give him psychic powers, personally I think the whole "Oh gawd you haz magic!? That's so cool!" of many HiE is overplayed. Of course you can heighten the tension here a bit by adding some new elements to it. Is it something considered special or different where the alien is from? Is there some kind of stigma or threat associated with it? Is it perhaps considered holy or only to be used for specific tasks? You get the point, something that clashes or diverges from the very laid back attitude ponies has to magic and psychic abilities.

Personally I have a 5000 words minimum rule but that's my own preference, 3000 words at least though would be a good line to draw I think.

Hope it helps.

SRC

I say you go with what you feel is right. There is a 50% that there is a possibility that maybe that could work.

Kickass222urmom
Group Contributor

Well, I'm going to be a little blunt.

As stated by this guy: 302975

You shouldn't rely on other people to set up the plot for your story. If you do that, you'll end up in a rut. Trust me on this one.

Also, here's my best advice I can give you at this point:

Write what you like. Not what others like. If you write for others, you'll find yourself stressed out and not having fun with your work. This has happened to me a few times.

If you write for yourself, you'll more than likely have fun with what you write.

If writing becomes a chore for you because you try to appeal to everyone, then it's time you drop that and start writing for yourself.

Follow that one piece of advice, and your writing career (Or, hobby) will be a fun and enjoyable time.

I'm going to pop on with the two most important things I've learned, which will probably help you not at all. Buckle up.

What do you want to write about? I'm not expecting an answer there, just prompting you to consider what the core idea or story is. From there, ask yourself how each of the points you asked about might serve the story. IE:

Is this a story of bigotry, a la Frankenstein? Then, an arrival without a return available might serve better. Powers might serve to further that gap by scaring the ponies, etc.

Love story? Psychic translation would speed things up, but is that what you want? Would Pinkie Pie's tenacity at making friends or Fluttershy's patience serve better?

Everything you choose should serve the story, at least while working out your premise.

For the second: Avoid the pitfall of Bigger is Better. It can be, but 'Epic' battles and grand wars simply do not work unless we're invested in the characters. To borrow a line: 'impossible to anthropomorphise the galaxy.' If it doesn't have a face and/or we don't care about the person in question, then we just don't care. Similarly, Mary Sues and Gary Stus are boring because they're unrelatable and things like the Kaioken Times Four Kamehameha Counter Gallic (sp?) Gun with Earth on the Line only works in over-the-top schlock.

There's nothing wrong with that, by the way. I love it, but it has it's place and needs to be aware of what it is. Kind of like Harlequin. Also see: Pinkie Pie.

In short: We can't write it for you, but I'll advise to focus on what'll serve the story best. If it doesn't serve that story, get rid of it, even if it makes the story 'dull' or 'cliche.'

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8