Button Belle 984 members · 213 stories
Comments ( 29 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 29
Colt in the Moon
Group Admin

Here's the EQD link: link
Seems like Hasbro studios has requested that JanAnimations stop using the little gamer. This doesn't bode well

It's gone... ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
The videos... Are all gone... !
YOU MANIACS ! YOU CLOSED IT UP ! Ah, damn you ! Celestia damn you all to hell !

(and I'm being 100% serious right here)

I have been thinking and I think that Jan may not have to fight but the group could start a petition to show that there is a non-destructive image that is brought out by Jan's use of the characters, and with the latest show being about Sweete Belle then the other fans Jan will join in.

Hey, Hasbro, if you really want to promote some love and tolerance, love and tolerate the fan works provided by the fandom! They're a sign that you're doing something right. Stop fucking up and wasting our good will. Because the fandom that loves you today can snap on you in a heartbeat.

Everyone I know we are sad about this, but its ok. There are many other pony animators, maybe not as good as him, but still pretty darn good ones. Jan will still animate, and maybe help other pony animators with there videos.

P.S. May the fanfiction live on.

i may have overreacted a bit. i get why hasbro did this. our ip laws are a mess and it's almost required of holders to file claim rather they want to or not. it still doesnn't feel right though

Welp.

*dons a black cape and a witch hunter hat*

Looks like we ought to burn some heretics

You guys? It's okay.

It's okay. Hasbro is just giving him a C&D on his animation. But he's still doing the art! He's still going to be doing AskTheCrusaders and his other stuff in that regard. I imagine he may even make an Ask Button Mash or something like that to keep his adventure going! Jan just doesn't want to fight against a big company like that, and who can blame him? He's going to lose. He needs to keep up a good reputation as an animator if he wants to make it in the field. So he kind of did what he had to do, both for copyright law and his own reputation.

Besides, think of it as a compliment. His animation was way too good. Hasbro recognized that and knew that they had to protect their IP. It wasn't out of some greedy, corporate hatred or anything like that. It was a simple violation of Copyright Law because it was way too good, just about akin to the show proper.

Jan is still here, you guys. He's still going to do something with his MLP art. He just can't animate anymore. So don't worry. Button Belle will still live on!

Well, I think he can still animate, just not using characters from the show like Button and the CMC. If it's his own OC's, like Button's mom or some other creations, I think he can still do that. I do agree that they probably won't go after his tumblrs, and I would love to see some Button Belle in Ask the Crusaders, or if Button gets his own tumblr. Heck, Mrs. Mash could have her own tumblr too.

The real issue seemed to be trademark as opposed to copyright. Because his animation is so show-accurate, it could create confusion between what's his and what is show proper. And that infringes on trademark. And since he's not doing commentary or analysis with his vids, he can't claim Fair Use. I guess he could argue parody, but I'm not sure about that.

I guess I'm just worried that this opens the door to them going after fanfics next. I doubt they will, but I can't erase that fear though.

Also, part of me worries about this group in particular because how many of us would be here if it wasn't for "Don't Mine at Night"?

Justice3442
Group Contributor

Something of an update. Some of the videos have been allowed back up. No telling quite yet if that's the end or we can suspect to see more.

Justice3442
Group Contributor

You're welcome! :twilightsmile:

3157529 I'm almost certain that the only video retearning will be, "Lets Go Meet the Bronies", since it only had hes, Tara Strong's, and John De Lancie's OC in them.

P.S. sorry i miss spelled reterning english i my worst subject.

The Don't Mind At Night animatic survived, at least. :unsuresweetie:

3176642 Ok, thank you I never noticed that.

Now if only he can get the actual video back.

Now we have our "Don't Mine at Night" back.

3139811 I think Jan is a woman, not sure though :twilightsmile:

I swear you can still watch all the videos on other sites though, like Derpy TV etc..? :derpyderp2:

Nope... He is not.

In the short term yes, his existing work will never die. It's the loss of what he was going to do that hurt the most. :ajsleepy:

3235703 Yeah, I was waiting so long for the 2nd instalment of the Button Adventures :) :applejackunsure:

Me too, I donated money to that cause... :fluttercry:
Oh well.

3237858 I guess it gives me even more of a reason to love the Button fics :twilightsmile: I'm in the middle of writing one actually :ajsmug:

Justice3442
Group Contributor

From appearances it seems Jan is still negotiating getting anything remove back on the net.

Also, it doesn't sound like he's planning to scrap working on Button Mash stuff entirely. Button's Adventures 2 at least as some of the animatic done and some of the voice acting. I think it's primarily Button's design in his animation in general (basically looks like it's from the show), that's the issue. He could probably adjust both and continue working (assuming he doesn't come to some sort of agreement with Hasbro).

3237963 I hope his appearance doesn't change too much, I like him like he is now :applejackunsure:

All the bm videos are still on youtube you just have to search to find them and if not then I'll upload them somewhere else

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 29