Weston College (Archived) 51 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 80 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 80

I felt I'd restart this thread to discuss one of the key issues we need to iron out is Weston College. Namely, classes.

Any classes here should be ones that are fun to roleplay, and ones teachers can lecture about relatively easily. Here is the old list:

Day 1: Physical Education
Day 2: Science
Day 3: Physics
Day 4: Pony History
Day 5: Arts
Day 6: Magical Theory and Application of Spells
Day 7: Literature
Day 8: Equestrian Economics

Lets go through these, shall we?

Physical Education: This is straightforward enough. dodgeball, gym, swimming, volleyball, tennis, floor hockey, badminton, etc. Plenty of opportunity for roleplaying fun and mayhem on all sides.

Science: Well, this is kind of vague. There are lots of sciences. Biology, Chemistry, Physics? We should go with something more specialized.

Physics: See science.

Pony History: This is a) going to be a boring class. and b) requires making up stuff on the fly to teach. Not a great subject.

Arts: Well, there are lots of arts. This is probably drawing, painting, and possibly sculpture, and that is the basis I was going on. It could also be the study of art. And writing is an art, or music. And don't forget martial arts. I personally think I can make it reasonably interesting.

Magical Theory and Application of Spells: Well, spell accidents are always fun. There are several related fields that could be here. Ritual Magic. Potion-making. Alchemy.

Literature: This suffers from many of the issues History does. Creative Writing might be more interesting.

Equestrian Economics: Is there such a thing? Sounds boring and not very role-playable.

So what other classes can we have?

Music, Metalworking, Home Economics, Sewing, Shop, Martial Arts, and Herbology are all possibilities.

Now, not everything has to be a core subject, either. We can have core subject and electives, which aren't repeating. Also, student aides and student teachers may be things to introduce.And school clubs. Why don't we have school clubs here?

So, what classes have I missed? What would you like to see taught? And also, what would you be interested in teaching?

Edit: Other classes and clubs mentioned so far:
Philosophy
Language
Politics/Political Science
Sexual Education
Algebra
Calculus
Trigonometry
Geometry
Logic
Critical Thinking
Computer Programming (Depends on level of technology)
Drama
Photography
Autoshop
Host club
Cooking
Health
Combat
Military History

Potential Teachers:
Art - Silversmith Senna Spoon
Math - Vengeful Spirit
History - Zoki Kamaka (Ancient Times)
Science - Smart Ass Koffing (Xeraphis)
Phys .Ed. - Zoki Kamaka (Jinana Te Hiw)
Home Economics - SweetAI Belle (Madam Fittings)

Calculus/Physics/Chemistry - Vengeful Spirit
Computer Programming - Silversmith Senna Spoon
Literature - Zoki Kamaka (Ancient Times)
Martial Arts - Zoki Kamaka (Jinana Te Hiw)
Summoning - Zoki Kamaka (Jinana Te Hiw)

Music - stiggerzz (Probably club head rather then teacher)

--Silversmith Senna Spoon
((This thread rebooted due to too much offtopic discussion))

Midnight Words
Group Contributor

1366073 Sorry... anyway computer coding? Can we add that?

I'm not sure if it fits the level of technology at the college, but I'll add it. I may as well add it to the list of things I could potentially teach as well.

--Silvy

Midnight Words
Group Contributor

1366162 Well we did have zatsume that one time...

True, I'm just not sure after the reboot.

Hmmm, we need a Drama class. Photography might be possible, too. Or they could be clubs.

--Silvy

Midnight Words
Group Contributor

1366187 Clubs... that's a good idea... Maybe autoshop?

spider8itch
Group Admin

1366187 I am considering a host club.

As long as it teaches you how to make floats like the one in 'One Bad Seed'.

--Silvy

Midnight Words
Group Contributor

1366250 then yes. Autoshop can be a subject! Also cooking maybe some basic health.

1366250>>1366262
Music
Drama
Autoshop
Arts
Magical Theory and Application of Spells

swear to God, if I'm asleep, at school or at work when these take place....I may cry ;__;

Added.

So, should I put you down as a potential teacher for any of those?:twilightsmile:

--Silvy

hmm...I don't know how well I would do, since I'm not much of a teaching person irl but...

seeing as irl I play piano at a 5th grade level, and in the RP Tenor plays guitar
(totally not music obsessed, by the way *sarcasm*)
I can always give it a crack at doing the music class:eeyup:

as I said though, cannot guarantee how well I would do

Don't worry, you don't so much need to teach it as to know enough about it to make an entertaining thread about teaching it.

[color]--Silvy
((And I love music, but can't really play it IRL. In RP, I have no idea.))

yea..put me down for music..I can give it a crack though, again, no guarantees even with the entertaining aspect

Believe me, my plans for the art class largely amounted to one initial post (which I already have typed up), then going around inspecting peoples drawings, and letting them entertain each other. I suppose I should remove Blaze posing at this point.

--Silver

I'll probably make this a club anyway with Tenor as someone who just runs it

That'll probably work better
(Off to bed cya)

Well, we do need people to run clubs, too...

--Silvy
((Night.))

Melkor
Group Admin

My origional OC had a history with the Equestrian Royal Guard, so why not have a class about that?
It would include basic hoof to hoof combat, strategy, history, bearing and dicipline, and a code of honor.
Plus there would be cool uniforms.:trollestia:

Hmm. That sounds more like a boot camp then a class. Combat and Military History are classes I could see, though.

--Silvy

Comment posted by kragor deleted Jul 26th, 2013
Comment posted by spider8itch deleted Jul 26th, 2013
Comment posted by kragor deleted Jul 26th, 2013
Comment posted by spider8itch deleted Jul 26th, 2013
Viking Hoof
Group Contributor

1366952 1367310>>1367321>>1366997 ROTC?

Woah, what happened to muh posts.

Melkor
Group Admin

Essentially it would be a JROTC course.
Real JROTC teaches you how to march, wear the dress uniform correctly, history of the branch, leadership skills, and a good code of ethics.
The USAF foundation is Intregity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
The other branches are a little more complex, with the army having about seven of them.

Viking Hoof
Group Contributor
Melkor
Group Admin

I didn't mean to insult your knowledge, I was just putting it out there for the casual passerby.

F4D3
Group Admin

Hey, if you have any suggestions on how to make the group function better feel free to post them in the admin discussion thread.

F4D3
Group Admin

There should also be a class in conjuration, seeing as how that would lead to things like potion making, creature summoning, and things of that nature.

((Alright, I'll add it to the list when I get home [in around 4 hours]. Don't feel like trying to add it on a tablet. We'll need to decide which are core classes, electives, and clubs at some point, too.))

F4D3
Group Admin

We also need to keep in mind what teachers we already have that would be willing to teach hat classes.

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1370220>>1369461 Ancient Times can teach history, and literature. But if he is only one class History. Silent Fist(He is now Jinana Te Hiw) Jinana can be P.E, martial arts, and even character summoning. If need be.

F4D3
Group Admin

It would be better if there was one teacher per class.

I haven't said this yet, but keeping classes on the weekend would be a good idea, considering most people are more active then.

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1370347 Okay I was just offering to help incase that would happen.

My personal suggestion would be one core class per teacher, and letting them teach an elective or two occasionally. Think of the core ones as mandatory repeating classes, where as the electives are one offs, and are optional.

For the clubs, a student founds it, gets a faculty member to back the club, and finds a classroom to hold it in. Sweetie Belle could found a club named "Sweetie's Occult Science Brigade", get me to back it, and find a clubhouse to hold meetings in, for example.

As mentioned, I'm open to a few positions: art teacher, councilor, computer teacher, hheadmistess or vice-principal, administrative assistant, and so on. It all depends where I'm needed most.

--Silvy

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1370697 I believe Cielia and Sebastian are going to be the headmistress and vice principle.

F4D3
Group Admin

That might work, especially given the low number of actual teachers we have right now.

Just listing them since I've held both before. And I think he's going towards having Ciel and Sebastian, so there might be other changes. I personally think having different players for principal and vice-principal wouldn't be a bad idea.

--Silvy

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1370782 True but in the end the power is to Cielia. So having her as headmistress would seem logical. True in all fairness. Your better at paperwork then she will ever be. So maybe having you as Vice principle would make sense and having Sebastian as the teacher of Defense against the unknown. Would make sense. Then we still have Cielia established as the final word on everything. But you would still be in a role of power. Which I think several ponies will agree that you not only deserve.
1370697>>1370779 That would be very effective then we would just have to decide what the core classes are.:twilightsmile:

F4D3
Group Admin

1370819>>1370782
Look at what teachers we currently have. From there we can decide what those core classes are and go from there.

Well, so far, seems like Art, Math, History, and PE. Music, if we can convince stiggerzz to be a teacher and not a club head. We need more teachers, though.

--Silvy

F4D3
Group Admin

If need be, I can make at least one more teacher, as there's still another OC I want to introduce to the college, but what about Madam Fittings? At one point it was discussed whether she should become a teacher or not. I realize that was in a different timeline, but it could work given enough time and effort. Also, I realize Xeraphis hasn't actually taught a class yet, but I still think science should be considered a core class (with obvious electives he could teach).

SweetAI Belle
Group Contributor

"Sweetie's Occult Science Brigade"? Um, I don't think I'd have much trouble locating aliens, espers, or time travelers in this school, Silvy...

--Sweetie Belle

Right, hadn't added him to the list yet. Madam Fittings has still been somewhat up in the air. C&S technically has a bit of a claim to the character, if only the name and position. She'd make a good Home Ec./Sewing teacher, though.

--Silvy

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1370977 You could easily make a list about a page long.
1370947>>1370974 Pretty much those are the core classes. But like Koffing I'll make a new teacher off needed. I think in this timeline Madam Fittings might have become a teacher but in the new one she'll stay in her shop.

F4D3
Group Admin

You already have two teachers. It's best you use those to their fullest potential. Like it's been stated a million times before, it's completely up to C/S on Madam Fittings.

Well, apparently Blue and Scribble are going time traveling with their new born baby...

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1371033 Actually if anything yes it was slightly created by C/S. Like the name but the flesh and character was really created by Sweetie Belle. So in my thoughts Sweetie is the deciding factor.

F4D3
Group Admin

Yes, but it's up to her, she created the name, Sweetie Belle created the character.

Ukaih
Group Contributor

1371121 So your saying a name is more important than character? Also do you even think C/S even cares?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 80