Flarity 631 members · 186 stories
Comments ( 172 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 172

What is Flarity Prompt Tag? It's a game every pairing needs, stolen whole cloth from the AppleDash group, and here's how you play it:
I'll start off by posting a 100-500 word mini-fic about Fluttershy and Rarity. At the end will be a one word prompt. If you would like to write a 100-500 word Flarity mini-fic relating to that prompt within the next four hours, comment right away to claim that prompt. Post the story when you finish, and add a one word prompt at the end for the next people to claim.

Simple enough?

Just to make sure everything is clear:
* The mini-fic can be in any style, any tag, AU, humanized, whatever. It can be a cute scene, a snippet of conversation, or an excerpt from an Equestrian history book. It's not expected to be preread or proofread, and if you've never written before that's just fine. Keep it rated teen or lower, make sure it relates somehow to the prompt you claimed and shoot for 100-500 words of fiction about Fluttershy and Rarity. (But we won't stop you if it goes a bit longer. :yay::raritywink:)
* Claim prompts with a quick post responding to the last post. Just the word "claimed" is fine. When you finish, make a post with the mini-fic and the remember to include the next prompt.
* Your claim is valid for four hours, to keep someone from accidentally holding things up all day. After four hours, another person could post a claim for the same prompt. If you ran out of time, and no one else has claimed it, and you still want to write it, just go ahead and reclaim it.
* In the event that people become confused, and two fics are posted for the same prompt, the first one posted contains the official next prompt.
* Please include a one word prompt at the end of your fic. There are lots of words, and they can mean lots of things, and it's up to the next writer what they want to do with it.

We'll start with the four hour claim limit for now and adjust it later if need be.
These rules are meant to be a bit loosey-goosey, not hard and fast.  Going over 500 words, or having an occasional two word prompt or whatever is just fine.  The main idea is to have fun.

You can follow this as a posted story here.

I'll start us off with the prompt: Preening

Preening

“Rainbow Dash, may I speak with you?” Rarity addressed a particular cloud which seemed to have sprouted a multi-colored tail.

“You are speaking to me,” a scratchy voice replied. The tail quivered.

“Yes, I suppose. Fine, may I ask you a question?”

“You just did, twice.” The voice seemed to be trying with little success not to laugh, the tail twitching in time with the stifled chortles.

Rarity’s eye twitched.

“Hahahaha! Only messing with you!” Dash slid off the cloud, spreading her wings and drifting to the ground in a lazy spiral. “What’s up? It’s not some sort of fashion thing, is it?”

“Not today, darling.” Rarity sighed. “It’s about Fluttershy. She’s been acting very oddly, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why.”

“And, you thought you’d ask me instead of her?” Dash raised an eyebrow.

“I have asked her, darling. She won’t say what’s wrong; she keeps avoiding the subject. I’m sure you know how hard it is to get information from her when she doesn’t wish to speak.”

“Yeah, that sounds like her.” Dash nodded with a frown.

“What’s especially odd is that she’s been flying more often than usual.” Rarity’s gaze drifted to the sky, as if Fluttershy might drift by at any moment. “Right now, she’s out flying around Ponyville with several of the birds under her care. That’s not exactly unusual in itself, but lately she’s been going out for a flight once a day rather than once a week.” Rarity turned back to Dash. “Do you have any ideas, darling?”

Dash blinked twice and put a hoof to her muzzle.

“Yeah, I think I know what’s wrong.” A few moments of silence passed by uncomfortably. “It’s a pegasus thing. She’s using her wings because she wants to be preened.”

“Oh,” came Rarity’s most elegant response. “Well, can’t you?...” Rarity trailed off at the look Dash gave her.

“No, I can’t.” Dash sighed. “Look, you don’t have wings, so I’ll have to explain a bit. There’s different kinds of preening. There’s the basic stuff, what they teach you as a foal at flight camp. Kid stuff.” Dash twitched her wings unconsciously. “Then there’s a more thorough preening, the kind of thing you’d ask a close friend or a family member to help with. That might be what she’s after, but...”

“But?” Rarity raised an eyebrow.

“But, there’s another kind of preening.” Dash fidgeted. “The kind where you’d better be near a bed.”

Both ponies just stared uncomfortably at each other for a bit as the silence dragged on.

“Alright look, Fluttershy’s my friend, I want her to be happy as much as you do.” Dash looked pointedly at the ground rather than meet Rarity’s eye. “If we go back to the boutique and close all the windows, I’ll teach you some basic flight school stuff, enough to make sure you won’t hurt her.” Dash stood and walked a few paces before she stopped and turned to look at Rarity. “Just don’t tell her where you learned, okay?”

Rarity nodded in agreement.

Next Prompt: Lace

Karrakaz
Group Admin

Lace

I shift uncomfortably, feeling your eyes on me doesn’t help in the slightest.

“Rarity... you’re staring again.”

You shake your head and show me an embarrassed smile. “Terribly sorry, darling. I was just thinking about...” It’s like you don’t even know that you’re licking your lips. “...About what to do next.”

“Uhm...” I balance on the edge of the small platform precariously trying to keep myself from falling off. The lace lingerie is snug, but unfortunately my wings seem determined to make me look like a fool.

This was a bad idea.

“No!” I shake my head trying to get rid of the thought, which almost costs me my balance.

“Sorry, darling, did you say something?” Your breath hits my left wing and it takes all of my willpower not to run off and hide under something.

“Uhm... y-yes. Why—” Please don’t mess this up. “—Why did you need me, exactly?”

“Why, because lace looks marvelous on you, dear.” Your reply comes without missing a beat and once again I wish I could be more like you. At least, I’d know what to do then.

“—ilight whose material is is silk, and you; well, anything looks good on you.”

Something cold and flexible hits my barrel and I squeak. Without my consent my wings flare up, tearing the lace lingerie, and making my center of gravity shift. I land on the floor of your boutique in an unceremonious heap.

Stupid Clutzershy.

“Fluttershy? Are you alright, darling? The concern in your voice is like a balm, it’s just the wrong kind.

“I’ll be...” I need to swallow the lump in my throat otherwise you’ll never hear me. “...fine,” I say after doing just that.

Tears are threatening, demanding I find someplace private or they’ll start running right now.

I suppress a sniffle.

Your magic helps me to my hooves, but I keep my eyes on the floor. You don’t need to see me looking pathetic... again.

“Darling...” Your hooves find my cheeks and lift my head. I couldn’t stop you, even if I wanted to.

Looking at your face when I’m feeling like this is torture, especially your eyes which I could lose myself in. I probably have...

You give me a small smile and lean your forehead against mine. “Shhh... shhhh, don’t cry, dear. You’re doing great.”

I don’t know where it comes from, but there’s something that’s pushing me forward, making me do what I’ve never been able to do before. I move forward in slow motion, looking into your kind eyes as I tilt my head backward, and one of my wings makes sure you stay where you are.

When our lips meet, it’s nothing like a romance novel. There’s no fireworks going off in my head, no special feeling of finally being complete.

It just feels... nice.

Next prompt: Acrophobia

Comment posted by Blagdaross deleted Aug 8th, 2013

Acrophobia

The duo finally reached the end of the Slap-Happy Bush. The Princess had warned that Wunder-Land was a bizarre place, but Fluttershy could never in a million years expected this outcome. The guide at the entrance said that the plants slapped anything that was pink or born on a Wednesday. Naturally, the plants zeroed in on her butt, or rather her pink cutie mark. Fortunately, Rarity was too busy slaying the plants in order to preserve her favorite pink sunhat to notice Fluttershy's 'reaction'.

Rarity, sweet sweet Rarity. She was finally alone with her love, but she still didn't have the guts to share their first kiss. The mare herself was covered in plant ooze, and wiping off the remnants with her pretty blue magic.

“This soooo horrid, Fluttershy. This Wunder-Land place has been nothing but a nightmare!” She plopped on the ground. “And those perverse plants took my saddlebags! Now we are going to starve!”

Fluttershy's heart broke. Demure Rarity, crying right in front of her. She would be a horrible marefriend if she let this go on. Scanning the clearing, she saw a group of toadstools growing on a rock.

“Here, my lo-Rarity!” With a mighty, or rather mediocre, flap of her wings, she closed in on the curious caps. She reach in with her dextrous wing, and plucked on off. “I found this mushroom. Y-you used a lot of energy protecting us, so y-you should eat, to keep your strenght.”

Rarity's eyes twinkled for a moment, until 'mushroom came up. Her stomach gnawed at her, so she caved in. “This smelly old thing that grew on a rock in the dark, and I must eat it. Although, mushrooms are a delicacy in some countries.” Fluttershy nodded furiously. “If I must...” Rarity muttered.

She ate it in one bite.

“Mmm... this tastes divine!” She paused for a moment. Then, the sound of rolling thunder came from her stomach. “F-Fluttershy, you're sure that that was safe for consumption, right?”

“Um... n-n-n-no?”

“FLUTTERSHY!” Rarity's cry slowly faded, as her legs sprouted to titanic heights.

“Rarity! I'm so sorry!” Fluttershy's eyes stung with shame. How could this have happened?

“Fluttershy! It's so high! I-I-I'm going to die! I'm a freak! Hey, is that Ponyville?” Rarity's anguished cried needled Fluttershy's heart like a quack-upuncturist.

“I've got to atone for this crime against Rarity,” Fluttershy said firmly. She looked to the rock with determination. Until Rarity crushed it underhoof.

“Ouch! Dumb rock!”

There was only one way. There must be spores are Rarity's face, right? Her face flushed red at the thought.

“I'm coming, Rarity!” she cried like a warrior, fluttering to Rarity's height like a butterfly.

“Fluttershy! I feel like I'm falling, why won't I fall! Why-” she was silenced with a kiss. Fluttershy's toungue lapped inside her mouth for the spores. Or so she said after the fact.

Fluttershy's legs too grew titanically.

“I'm sorry Rarity. I'll support you from here, until the others find us.” She looked down at the great height. “Rarity! I'm going to fall!”

“You're dragging me down! Fluttershy!”

“Rarity!”

They were found later, leaning on each other for balance. And so Dash found her favorite story to tell at Pinkie's parties.

Up next: Forecast

Comment posted by Esle Ynopemos deleted Aug 8th, 2013
Comment posted by Snowybee deleted Aug 8th, 2013
Comment posted by Steel Resolve deleted Aug 8th, 2013
Esle Ynopemos
Group Admin

Today's spa date had been wonderful.

So wonderful, in fact, that Fluttershy and Rarity could not bear parting company just yet, so they had walked together to Fluttershy's home and had lunch together. Lunch had been lovely, and stretched into afternoon tea. Tea had become a nice walk through Whitetail woods, which, by the time they returned, had become so late that they may as well fix dinner together as well.

All told, the sun had already sunk beneath the horizon by the time Rarity sipped the last of her wineglass—since such a fine meal deserved to have a nice glass of wine after to settle down with. A deeply content sigh rolled out of her as she set the empty vessel down on the table. “That was lovely, darling.”

Fluttershy, perched on a chair opposite the table from her, nodded her head. She still nursed the last few drops in her glass, savoring them as though the world would end once her wineglass was empty. “I had a good time,” she agreed.

Rarity stared at her friend and smiled. How long had that beautiful blush been there on her cheeks? Had it been there during their afternoon walk? Rarity couldn't be certain, and she realized the same went for the trace of heat lighting her own face as well.

Slowly, lethargically, Rarity rose to her hooves. “Ah, but I really should get back home. It's...” She glanced at the clock on the wall, and a giggle sprouted from her. “Oh, goodness, it's seven hours past when I intended to return!”

“Oh. Okay...” Fluttershy frowned into her glass.

Rarity tilted her head. “Is something the matter, darling?”

Fluttershy put a quick grin on her face. “No, of course not, Rarity. You probably should go home.” Her eyes flickered to the red drops in her glass and back to her friend. The grin faded. “It's just...”

“Just what?” Rarity blinked.

Fluttershy chewed her lip. “Well, I heard it was supposed to rain tonight.”

“Is it?” Rarity tapped her hoof on her chin. “I must admit, I don't remember the forecast for this week.”

“Oh yes.” Fluttershy nodded. “It's supposed to be a downpour, Rainbow Dash said. And, um... I know you didn't bring your umbrella. I'd hate for you to ruin your mane just because I kept you here too late and you got caught in the rain.”

“Hmm.” A sly smile slowly spread across Rarity's lips. “I would hate to impose, dear, but do you suppose it might be better if I wait out the storm here?”

Fluttershy's eyes shined. “I think that's a wonderful idea!”

On the wall, plainly visible to anypony with eyes, there hung a weather calendar. The whole week was marked for clear skies.

---

Next Prompt: Impoverished

Comment posted by Jondor deleted Aug 8th, 2013

Impoverished

It had finally happened. A secret fear she always held, and it had come true. Rarity’s generosity had gotten the best of her.

All in all, it was probably for the best. If she had not been away from the shop, she might have died in the fire, or worse. Whomever had started it may have decided to kill her outright.

But, even penniless and destitute, she could not, in good conscience, go back to the orphanage and ask for even a dollar of her donation back.

Her hair hung limp and unkempt over her face as she walked down the street. She wore no jewelry, for fear of being mugged. What little she had left, she kept concealed, but it would be gone soon. Another trip to the pawn shop for some eating money would do in the last valuable things she had, apart from her clothes.

She held a hand to her stomach in response to its growling. There could be no more delay. With her head down and eyes obscured, she did not see the young woman walking toward her until they collided. Finding her face buried between the two large, soft mounds covered by the girl’s turtleneck sweater, Rarity hastily moved to free herself.

“Forgive me! I should have been watching where I was going!” She cried out, suddenly terrified that this would be her end.

“Oh, my. I’m sorry. Are you alright?” The young woman’s soft voice spoke simultaneous with Rarity’s.

Miraculously, Rarity heard and understood the barely audible words. The quiet, apologetic tone brought her up short.

“N.. no need to apologize. I’m the one who—” she broke off as her stomach churned again. “I should get out of your way.” She attempted to stand, but found her body was reluctant to respond after her exertion.

“Here, let me help you.” A soft hand reached down to help the bedraggled woman to her feet. “I was just about to get some lunch. Would you like to join me? My treat.”

Tears welled up in Rarity’s eyes. From that moment on, kindness was her salvation.

Never thought I'd write any humanized, but there it is.

Next Prompt: Chickens

Karrakaz
Group Admin

Prompt: Chickens

“Chicken!” “Chicken!” “Pekawk!”

Rarity had been plagued with indecision since it had started. A get together which should have set a great example of how much fun slumber parties could be, had turned into a gloating match over the fear of the weakest member in class.

The unicorn herself had never really enjoyed playing ‘spin the bottle’. Too many unwashed colts and even a few fillies were too keen on getting to kiss her. She had been spared this time, at the cost of Fluttershy becoming the focus of the class.

It was difficult, watching the timid pegasus scramble into corner of the room.
It was hard watching her hide behind her mane, like it would shield her from the insults being hurled her way.
It was painful to see the forlorn expression on her petite face.
It was too much to see the tears silently roll down her cheeks.

“Enough!”

The entire class fell silent. It took Rarity a moment before realising that she was the one that had shouted. Normally she loved being the center of attention, but right now with the entire group of colts and fillies looking at her with gaping mouths made her feel self conscious.

Being popular in school made things easy. Forgot your homework? Ask somepony for the answers. Late to school? A classmate would often cover for you. Detention? When the teachers liked you, it was usually a lot shorter than what it should be.

After what she was about to, the reputation she had been so carefully building for herself would likely be destroyed. Even so, she couldn’t watch another second of this cruel display.

She took a deep breath and steeled herself. “Leave her alone. So she doesn’t want to kiss Cloud Kicker, so what? I wouldn’t either.”

A filly giggled but was quickly silenced by the stares of the rest of the group. Cloud Kicker was one of those popular fillies and everypony in the school wanted to remain in her good graces.

A quartet of colts sneered at her. “Protecting your marefriend now, Rarity?”

“Filly foolers, filly foolers, filly foolers!” the group started chanting, making Fluttershy cry hard enough for her sobs to become audible.

With a few steps Rarity positioned herself in between the cowering pegasus and the group of young ponies bullying her. The words hurt, but never as much as watching bad things happen to good ponies.

“So what if I am? At least I know what I like,” She shouted defiantly, though the group ignored her.

----

“So much for hospitality,” Rarity said. It had been a few hours since they had left the slumber party, but not before Rarity had gotten into a fight with several ponies who would be sporting bruises for the coming weeks. Served them right for trying to attack a brown belt karaneigh student.

“Uhm...”

Rarity had gotten a hoofkerchief out of her saddlebags and dipped it into the fountain, using it to dab at the pegasus’ face to remove evidence of crying; it didn’t suit her at all. “What is it, darling?”

“I—I...” Fluttershy hid behind her mane. “I just wanted to say, ‘thank you.”

Rarity smiled. “You’re quite welcome darling.”

She got a smile from Fluttershy which made losing her reputation with those idiots totally worth it. “Tell me, dear, how would you feel about having a slumber party at my house? Just the two of us?”

Fluttershy nodded.

Rarity put away the hoofkerchief and turned around. “Excellent! Follow me then.”

A little longer than I expected, but that's fine right?
Next prompt: Teddybears

Comment posted by Dianwei32 deleted Aug 8th, 2013
Dianwei32
Group Admin

Homage

“She’s here, Lady Rarity.”

I look down at the bowing guard, a satisfied smile tugging at my lips. He’s only been a guard for a week, but he seems like he’s been here for ages. I’ll have to remember to commend Captain Strict on his training.

“Thank you. Please, send her in.” I nod appreciatively as the guard snaps a salute and trots back toward the doors at the far end of the hall. I sit up straighter, making minute adjustments to my dress with my magic. A wry smirk dances across my lips for a brief moment. It’s taken nearly a month, but she’s finally here; The Northern Beauty. Rumor has it that she’s the most beautiful mare in Equestria, though I find that hard to believe with her being one of those barbaric pegasi.

The doors open again and a waterfall of pink mane slowly pokes through the opening, followed shortly by the rest of her. My mouth twitches up in a smug grin for an instant as I realize that I was right. While she certainly has the body type to potentially be... attractive, she hides it under a hideously misshapen dress, one that appears to homemade out of some roughly spun cotton. She keeps her head low as she approaches, causing her mane to cover her eyes and drag on the floor.

“Y-you, um, w-wanted to s-see me, my lady?”

My ear twitches. Once again, her voice possesses the potential to be melodious, angelic even, but it is wasted in stammering mumbles. Her eyes remain fixed on the floor, however.

“Indeed I did.” I stand, taking care not to disturb the flowing skirt of my dress. I carefully descend the steps, and she cowers at my approach. “You need not fear me, my dear. I merely wished to meet you after hearing so much about you.” I stop several paces from her, but she is practically flat against the ground. I smile warmly, even though I doubt she can see it. “Tell me, what is your name?”

“It’s Fluttershy.”

Her response is barely audible and trails off into a frightened squeak. I close the rest of the distance between us and notice my guards tense at how close I come to her. I wave off their concerns with a hoof, then reach down and gently lift Fluttershy’s chin. I can feel her flinch at the touch, but she doesn’t shy away.

“Please, stand. I promise that—” The rest of my thought scatters to the aether and my breath catches in my throat. She has the most breathtakingly beautiful eyes I have ever seen. They dart back and forth between my own, a trace of worry growing in them while I cannot help but stare. After a few moments, she speaks.

“M-my l-lady?”

That lovely voice finally snaps me from my trance. I smile and gently pull her up from the floor.

“My dear Fluttershy, how would you like to become my personal hoofmaiden?”

Next prompt: Limits

Karrakaz
Group Admin

Limits

Limits.

Everypony’s got ‘em. I push mine, trying to be better today than I was yesterday, and better tomorrow than I am today. But I never thought I would cross this line.

They say anything goes in love and war, but what do you do when your crush is in love with one of your best friends? I did something I’d dreamed about... just not quite like this.

“Please, Rainbow?”

Rainbow Dash was angry, upset, hurt, in pain, sad. All those things and more, and all because of a simple question her best friend had asked of her.

“She’s so refined,” Fluttershy said with a soft sigh. “She must have had a thousand kisses, and I just... I don’t want to disappoint her.”

Dash blinked a few times, swallowing her hurt; Fluttershy needed her help. “I— I... Why... Of course I’ll help, ‘Shy.” She was encased by a powerful flutterhug and awkwardly patted her friend’s mane.

“Oh, thank you so much, Rainbow Dash.”

“Ye—” Dash cleared her throat uncomfortably, swallowing the bile it was throwing up. “Yeah, no problem.”

She steeled herself for what she was about to do. Fluttershy couldn’t know what she felt or it would ruin everything. With uncharacteristic patience she waited for Fluttershy to let go before loosening herself up and finally puckering her lips.

The wait was excruciating and after a minute of nothing happening she opened one eye, only to find Fluttershy hiding behind her mane.

Well, at least you get to kiss her she thought to herself.

She scooted closer and gently pushed Fluttershy’s hair back behind and ear with one of her hooves.

Fluttershy made a noise that sounded like a cross between a mouse and a drown victim but didn’t move.

Stars above, she’s so beautiful...

Dash leaned forward and kissed Fluttershy on the lips, pulling the shocked mare forward with her hooves so she wouldn't shy away.

Fluttershy melted into the kiss. Leaning into it a few precious seconds after Dash tried to break it. Dash cleared her throat again; she didn’t know how long she could keep this up so she was going to have to make it quick. “So... yeah, if you kiss Rarity, you should try to... uhm... take... the love you feel for her and put that emotion into the kiss. I guarantee you that she’ll feel it.”

Fluttershy nodded with a bright smile, completely oblivious to the turmoil her friend was experiencing. “Okay, I will. What next?”

Dash needed a way out, it was too much. “Well... Don’t just stick to one kiss. If you want her to know that you really love her, you should go for at least six.”

Fluttershy was beginning to wish she’d brought a notepad. “Uhh... okay, but shouldn’t we practice a few more tim—” She was cut off when Dash kissed her again. It was only a short kiss, lasting no more than a second; but full of passion like the pegasus herself.

When Dash pulled back she was out of breath. She turned away, another kiss would be too much.

“I’m— I’m sorry, ‘Shy. J—just remembered I have some important stuff to do,” She said quickly, trying to preempt the emotions which threatened to close up her throat. “You should be fine, though. Rarity is going to love you just as much as you love her.”

She tried to resist, but couldn’t stop herself from stealing one last kiss from her timid friend before rocketing off into the sky; leaving a thoroughly confused Fluttershy in the middle of the practice field.

“Uhm... thank you!” Fluttershy called out; not that Dash would hear it.

She got to her hooves and fluttered down the path to the spa in joy. Today was the day she was going to show Rarity how she felt. Rainbow Dash was truly a great friend. She had helped out with something difficult and hadn’t complained once.

Next prompt: Difficulties

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

Difficulties

The rabbit was staring at her again.

She could feel his hateful little eyes on the back of her head. He did this every time she spent the night, and always convinced Fluttershy of his innocence the following morning.

She turned and faced him tonight, nodding to him to let him know she was awake and aware of him. Very quietly, she slipped from under the covers and sat up, leveling her gaze at him.

He glared back, unmoving, defiant. She was the interloper here, and he would not give ground to her.

She whispered very softly. "Angel, must we do this every time I visit? I'm not going to stop coming, you know. She's my marefriend now, and you not liking me won't change that."

He mimed something very rude to her, and she tittered softly in response.

"I know, you don't think I'm good enough for her. But honestly, would anypony be? You and I have something in common, you know."

He put his paws on his hips, openly displaying his disbelief.

"Oh don't scoff, it's true. We both want more than anything else for her to be happy. Must we keep clashing every time I come over? She gets so upset when she notices, and believe me, she notices."

He looked at his master, shoulders slumping. Maybe... if it made her happy... The White one had a week's reprieve. If his pony's mood improved, hostilities would be halted on a semi-permanent basis. He conveyed his intent to the White one.

"I'll do everything I can, Angel. Shake on it?" She extended her hoof.

He grimaced, but hopped forward and held her hoof in his claws, shaking.

The White one nodded solemnly, lying back down next to his master. The Yellow one stirred, murmuring sleepily. He gave one last look to the pair, then hopped down the stairs to the hutch.

One week. The White one had better keep her word, or retribution would be swift and merciless. He eyed the chicken coop, noting with displeasure the lack of reaction as he passed. It was time to show them who ruled once more.

Next Prompt: Dirt

Dianwei32
Group Admin

1464334 I hereby claim this prompt in the name of England. *plants flag*

... err... claimed.

Dianwei32
Group Admin

Dirt

“Please, sir, I implore you not to run that photograph.” Rarity batted her eyes at him, summoning all of her feminine wiles.

“You kiddin’ me?” The stallion waved the photo. “This picture is worth big bits. Equestria’s most famous model kissing her marefriend? Who’s a fashion designer at that?” He tucked the photo into his saddle bag, along with his camera. “I know guys who’d give their right hoof for this picture.”

Rarity glanced back over her shoulder to the table where Fluttershy was still seated. Her marefriend was slumped over in defeat, on the verge of breaking into tears. “Look at what you’ve done to her. She hated being a model, and that picture—” She pointed a hoof at the ponyrazzi’s saddle bag. “—is going to bring every journalist, photographer, and newspony from here to Manehattan swooping in to find her again.”

The stallion looked back at Fluttershy for a moment, then shrugged. “Sorry, lady, but this is just too big of a story to pass up.”

Rarity changed tactics. “Surely there must be something that I can do to change your mind.” She batted her eyes again and reached up, running a hoof along his jaw.

His eyes darted back to her flank for an instant and he grinned, stepping closer to her. “Maybe there is something...”

Rarity smiled and walked past him, flicking her tail so that it brushed his nose. She headed deeper into the alley he had been hiding in, listening to the sound of him following.

A few minutes later, Rarity walked out of the alley, the ponyrazzi’s photo and camera floating alongside her. With a thought, the photo tore itself into dozens of pieces, and the camera opened up, film spilling out and being ruined by the sunlight. Satisfied that all traces of the evidence had been destroyed, she dumped the camera and bits of photo into a trash can and rejoined Fluttershy.

From deeper in the alley, a pained groan floated out of one of the dumpsters, and a hoof briefly lifted the lid before letting it clang shut again.

Next prompt: Nerves

Karrakaz
Group Admin

Nerves

Where Fluttershy got her stamina from, Rarity would never know.

The pegasus was flitting about, nuzzling passing woodland creatures and joining the birds in their morning song. Rarity didn’t feel inclined to join in. Actually, all she felt inclined to do was lay down and quite possibly pass out. Every fibre of her being was exhausted; her nerves felt numb, her lungs fought for every breath of air, and she was sure she could feel bruising on her horn.

When she agreed to join her marefriend for a walk through Highwind Pass, she had imagined a relaxing stroll through hilly landscape. They would take in the sights and smells. Perhaps even settle down for a romantic picnic when the mood struck them.

Instead she’d gotten a four hour canter up the side of the second biggest mountain she had ever seen, followed by another three hours trotting through the woods. The nerves in her hooves were rebelling; threatening to go on strike and leave her stranded in this wilderness without so much as a chaisé lounge. Only the promise of ‘the most wonderful thing you will ever experience’ she had gotten from Fluttershy kept her going.

“How...how much farther darling?” she panted, hanging her head and dropping into a wider stance which provided some respite for her aching muscles.

The pegasus turned around with a twin pair of raised eyebrows, as if she had forgotten Rarity was even there with her. “Oh... Not long now, Rarity.”

Fluttershy had undergone a transformation about halfway into the trip. She went from her usual meek and timid self to a confident and surprisingly flirty mare. Rarity was reminded of that fact when Fluttershy darted closer and stole a kiss from her lips, which set every nerve in Rarity’s body on fire.

Fluttershy’s sweet giggle at the flushed stammering she was trying to pass off for speech granted her a second wind. Rarity watched her marefriend float off into the distance before giving chase.

She focused solely on catching up with her marefriend. Moving faster and faster, weaving through the densely packed forest, jumping over fallen logs and through a line of ferns she had seen Fluttershy disappear into.

When she broke through on the other side, her surroundings took her breath away. She was looking right at a solid stone wall from which a small stream flowed to a large stone basin. On the other three sides the trees bent inwards to form a protective cocoon around the haven, leaving only a small gap through which light could enter. Wisps of steam rose from the water in the basin, indicating the presence of some underground spring. And in the midst of it all was Fluttershy, wet from having taken a dive into the pool and with a smile that said “Let Fluttershy take care of you.”

“Surprise...” the pegasus said in a stage whisper, which made Rarity’s knees go weak. Unfortunately, her nerves agreed with her knees and she sank to the floor; completely exhausted.

She wanted to laugh at herself and the pitiful sight she must’ve presented, “Oh dear...uhm... Fluttershy, darling? Could you?”

Before she could finish her sentence a pair of yellow hooves embraced her and pulled her into the steaming water which felt divine.

“Would you like a massage, Rarity?” Fluttershy asked, batting her eyes.

Rarity sighed lightly and melted against her marefriend. “That sounds wonderful, dear.”

Next prompt: Hoedown

Dianwei32
Group Admin

Hoedown

Rarity stood in the corner of the barn, a mostly full mug of cider clutched in a hoof. Normally, she would prefer a nice glass of wine, but cider was the only drink available at this particular... soirée. She wrinkled her nose, it felt wrong to use that word to describe this event, but she couldn’t bring herself to use the barbaric term everypony else seemed so keen on using.

A hoedown.

She took a sip of cider to wash the taste of that word from her mouth, then looked back out to the ‘dance floor.’ Her friends all seemed to be enjoying themselves, even Fluttershy was awkwardly shuffling her hooves near the edge of the floor. Though, she did seem to be closer to the wall than anypony else that was dancing.

Rarity couldn’t blame her. Along with their friends, a number of Applejack’s closest relatives—geographically close, anyway, since not even Twilight could untangle the twisted mass of limbs that was the Apple family tree—had come to town for the... party. Fluttershy was nervous enough around ponies she knew well, and nearly catatonic around ones she didn’t.

Rarity took another drink, longer this time, and had to take a small step back to avoid stumbling over something. Looking down between her legs, she searched for whatever had nearly tripped her, but found nothing under her hooves but hay. Shrugging, she went back to her full mug of cider and took a long pull from it. When she lowered it again, her eyes drifted back to Fluttershy, though, it took her a couple tries to lock on to her.

It wasn’t fair. Rarity tried so hard on her appearance, yet Fluttershy outshone her without even wanting to. Somehow, that adorable little pegasus could even make awkward shuffling look cute. Rarity dared not even think about their spa trips and the way Fluttershy looked after some time in the sauna; the way her wet mane fell down her neck and across her shoulders, and how her coat glistened with—

Rarity shook her head to dislodge the image, spilling a few precious drops of cider from her full mug. Locking her gaze back onto Fluttershy, she made a choice. Lifting her mug to her lips, she drained the whole thing in one motion, then dropped it onto a bale of hay. Swerving back and forth a bit, she marched across the barn and up to Fluttershy, who looked up and smiled, a few pieces of hay stuck in her mane.

“Oh, hello, Rar—” Fluttershy’s words were cut off as Rarity pressed their lips together in a kiss. Fluttershy panicked for a moment, then melted into it, parting her lips just slightly when she felt the other mare’s tongue probing at them. They stepped and stumbled back toward a darkened corner of the barn, never breaking the kiss.

Out on the dance floor, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie stared as the two mares disappeared into the shadows. Pinkie reached over and gently closed Dash’s hanging jaw, a huge grin on her face.

“Uh, Pinks?” Rainbow turned to face her fellow prankster, uncharacteristically unsure of herself. “I think we might have gone a little too far with refilling Rare’s drink while she wasn’t looking.”

Next prompt: Infinite

Euh, I don't think you're supposed to write FlutterDash instead of RariShy :rainbowhuh:

Karrakaz
Group Admin

I'll let Jondor decide if it's okay or not, I just wanted to try something different... and It's still about Flarity :twilightsheepish:

Dianwei32
Group Admin

1489236 Technically, it is Flarity, in a way. It's Flarity in that 'Shy want to practice kissing with Rainbow for when she's kissing Rarity, we just happen to see the interaction between 'Shy and Dash, and it's perfectly reasonable for Dash to have an unrequited crush on 'Shy in a Flarity story.

Personally, I think it would've been better as Dash having to awkwardly teach Fluttershy to kiss without any attraction. How it looks this way is Rainbow taking advantage of Fluttershy's naivety which is terrible for Fluttershy.

Also, and I may be wrong here, but I believe that it's a bad move to have unrequited love in a shipping story/prompt because to some that might come across as 'Ship X is not good enough, that's why Ship Y exists in this universe'.

As far as I'm concerned, just some minor concerns

Dianwei32
Group Admin

1489671 Well, I might not be the best person to talk about unrequited affections with, since my current story has 4 out of the mane 6 chasing unrequited affections for each other.

The chair rules that it's perfectly acceptable, citing AppleDashFireCider as a precedent.

Besides, now Dash can run off to be comforted by a certain farmer. :derpytongue2:

Claimin'

Infinite

Rarity was dead.

She knew she was dead from the instant she pushed off from the ground and put herself in the path of the runaway cart. She didn’t want to die, but it had to be done.

Time had stopped for her in that one instant. She could still feel the weight of the wheel crushing her into the pavement. Though, it was odd that she couldn’t feel the pavement.

Soon enough, all the pain was gone. In fact, all feeling was gone from her body. She supposed dying was like that. Though she wondered why she was still thinking.

Perhaps there was something to the notion of an afterlife. It was clearly not a world of touch, but she had other senses; it couldn’t hurt to try. She opened her eyes.

Rarity found herself floating in an infinite starry void. In the inky blackness, her white coat shone brilliant as a star, though there was nothing to illuminate with her radiant light.

“Hello?” The sound of her quavering voice echoed, though there was nothing for it to echo from.

“Congratulations, my little pony.” As her warm voice spoke the words, Celestia herself faded into view before Rarity’s eyes.

“Princess Celestia? Am I dead?”

“Of course not, Rarity. You did come very close, but you are quite safe now.” Celestia smiled wide as she dipped her head to give Rarity a reassuring nuzzle.

“But, where are we? What are we doing here?” A thousand other questions swam inside Rarity’s head.

“I’m sure you have many questions, my little pony, but I believe somepony else has some business first.”

As she opened her mouth to speak, Rarity was swept up in the embrace of two large yellow wings, and felt a pair of lips press down against her own. Their horns softly clacked together as they kissed.

“Oh, Rarity,” Fluttershy cooed, “you were so wonderful. That was so brave of you to save those foals. It was so scary, though. I almost couldn’t watch.”

A nearby ethereal, glowing rectangle showed Rarity leaping into the path of the heavily laden cart. She watched herself push a wagonful of blissfully ignorant foals to safety before the cart barreled down on her. A brilliant purple light surrounded her body as the cart hit, and suddenly she was gone from the scene.

“You have proved yourself to be the most generous pony in Equestria, Rarity. To be willing to give up your own life to save strange foals in a strange city, even though you struggled to carry on as the last of your friends to ascend to princesshood. Rarity, I am proud.”

“So am I. I love you, dear.” Fluttershy’s eyes were full of tears as she kissed Rarity for the last time as a unicorn. “It doesn’t hurt, I promise.”

Rarity felt the hot spark of magic spill from her horn, whipping around her curly mane, engulfing her body in a torrent of magic. She felt the spark enter her chest, pass through her nervously beating heart, and attach to her back.

All was white noise, white light, and numb feeling for a long moment, until she felt her hooves touch down again on solid ground. She opened her eyes to see her lover and her four other friends smiling wide at her as she unfurled her wings.

Next prompt: Singular

I love it. Them all turning into alicorns at some point when they fully represent their element

Dianwei32
Group Admin

Singular

This was it. The past five years had led slowly and inexorably to this one point. Rarity had waited for it less-than-patiently, wishing that it would hurry up and arrive. Yet, now that it was here, she wished desperately for just five more minutes to prepare. She would have settled for just a few mere seconds to try and calm her frayed nerves.

But, ‘time marches ever onward,’ as they said, never sparing a backward glance for those who wished it would slow its progress. The time had come and the words had been said. All that remained was the excruciating wait for the result.

For the first time since the ‘sea of candles’ debacle, Rarity cursed her penchant for romance. The low light of the Prench restaurant made it impossible to read the subtle emotions that flitted across Fluttershy’s face, which Rarity had long relied on to discern how her lover truly felt without having to wheedle it out of her. All she could see was the hoof covering her mouth and the pink waterfall of her mane framing her muzzle. Rarity swallowed nervously, as the silence between them stretched on for what felt the second hour.

“W-well?” Rarity’s voice shook slightly, despite her best efforts. “What do y—” The rest of her question was lost in lips pressed against her own, and the couple tumbled backward onto the floor. When the kiss finally broke, Fluttershy hugged the unicorn as hard as she could.

“Oh, Rarity, of course I’ll marry you.”

Next Prompt: Alone

Aurora
Group Admin

Oh, Alone? I'd like to claim this one! :raritystarry:

Aurora
Group Admin

Alone

“The usual, ma'am?”

“Please,” Rarity told the proprietor of Ponyville's Finest Floral Shoppe, with a polite little dip of her horn.

The usual bouquet was, unfortunately, quite heavy; in fact, it seemed to be getting heavier every time. Rarity would have loved to have simply kept the massive collection of roses, lilies and carnations afloat in front of her with her magic, instead of having to strain the muscles in her poor jaw and neck by having to carry it herself. But the last thing she wanted to do was tarnish those pristinely white flowers by – perish the thought! – accidentally dropping them when, almost inevitably, her increasingly unreliable magic would briefly sputter out.

It was quite a relief when she finally arrived at her destination and, after a bit of searching and near-sighted squinting, managed to spot the familiar cutie mark. Even after all these years, those three butterflies still managed to bring a smile to her face. So many fond memories...

“Here we are, darling,” she said, more than happy to finally be rid of the excessive floral arrangement, not to mention sit down on her haunches for a bit. “I think they'd look lovely over here, wouldn't you agree?”

Rarity didn't wait for a reply, but carefully placed the bouquet on what, to her, was undeniably the most aesthetically-pleasing spot. Then she took a moment to patiently arrange, and subsequently rearrange, a few wayward petals and stems. A number of stray, dirty old leaves, just laying around and cluttering up the place, were also quickly dispatched. (At the very least, when it came to such menial tasks, her magic still served her well enough.)

Then, at last, she turned her attention back to Fluttershy.

Or what remained of her, at least.

“I miss you, darling,” Rarity said softly, her voice wavering slightly. It always did, no matter how many times she said it.

With a melancholy smile, she ran a well-worn hoof over the cold stone below which her beloved slept.

She recalled how, the first few times she had come to visit this place, she had actually been embarrassed to speak, afraid that other visitors might think her a batty old cat lady – a stigma she was now quite fond of applying to herself, albeit with tongue firmly in cheek. These days she spent most of her time chatting to herself anyway...

“I think I shall swing by Sweetie Belle's later on, after a spot of tea,” she mused. “Her daughter is coming over, and I'd love to see how she's getting on with the new foal.” The old mare shook her head wearily, chuckling to herself in a cheerfully-curmudgeonly sort of way. “I suppose I shall soon be expected to sit for that little grandcolt, too, given how my dear little sister and that good-for-nothing husband of hers are far too busy travelling all over Equestria again, like they used to do in their glory days.” She tsked. “And that at their age!”

She paused, then, as a particularly heavy gust of autumn wind blew by, toying with the wispy strands of gray that had somehow escaped the tidy knot in her mane and chilling her to the bone. Shivering, she drew her fashionable-but-functional scarf a little closer around her withers.

“Where would they be without me...”

She stood and stared at the beautiful grave a little longer, lost in thought, before getting up and turning to trot away.

“Well... see you again in a little while, my love.”

But 'little whiles' could last for years upon years, of course – Rarity knew this all too well.

And later that day, after tea had been sipped, and newborns had been cooed over, and sagely advice had been dispensed, and a dwindling collection of cats had been taken proper care of, the retired fashionista once again found herself standing in the bedroom of the now-far-too-large old cottage, facing yet another night of fitful sleep in that big, two-pony bed.

Alone.

“Sleep tight,” she told the empty spot beside her, before closing her eyes.

But in the middle of the night, a strange smile played along her white, withered lips, lighting up her lined face. It was smile of recognition, of joy.

One last sigh of relief escaped her, as of one who had completed a long and arduous journey and was now, at long last, allowed to rest.

Rarity had finally gotten her wish.

Next Prompt: Savior

Aurora
Group Admin

:twilightsmile:

Oh, and Jondor? It's a really, really minor nitpick, but I did notice that, when you copied my post here over to the collab story the italics I occasionally use for emphasis kinda got lost in translation.

Oops, sorry. I was in a hurry and forgot to fix the formatting. Will fix it this evening.

Aurora
Group Admin

How I do it is, when a new prompt gets written, I copy/paste the text and then read the prompt in the thread itself. When I notice italics or bold there, I switch back to the tab, alter it, and continue reading.

Yep. I kinda skipped that step.

That'll teach me to try and rush a morning update instead of just waiting until the evening. All fixed.

Hello, folks. I'm new to the group thanks to Aurora's blog post. Hope you don't mind my stepping in and trying a prompt out.

Next Prompt: Savior

I would like to claim this one, if that's okay with you... :yay:

EDIT: Sorry for the delay. I fell asleep in my chair for a few hours. The story clocked in at just over four hours. :twilightsmile:

Savior

Long rays of sunlight still found their way slanting through the close canopy of leaves, but she could tell the forest was darkening.

Normally she would have been concerned; the Everfree changed at night, and it was no safe place for a pony, not even for Fluttershy. But that hardly mattered as she drifted and hovered through the dark foliage, searching. Her eyes scanned almost frantically, her gaze shifting here and there to the end of each rare shaft of sunlight, until at last a little patch of green brilliance leapt out at her.

Oh my gosh, yes!

Fluttershy gasped and steered hard over to land with a quick fold of her wings and a fast step. She trotted to the little clump of greenery hiding in the cleft between two high shoulders of a tree’s long roots; the only place the plant seemed able to grow, she knew.

The leafy green plant lay directly in a beam of Celestia’s setting sun until the yellow pegasus eclipsed that light. Her folded wings flapped a little at her sides, casting nervous shadows on the tree; she hesitated, stepping a random, fretful little four-hooved dance before it, and then came to a decision as the sunlight darkened behind her.

She tugged gently at the base of the plant with lips and teeth, taking every stalk of it. Her mouth and nose were flooded with a pungent, sweet tang as she lifted it from the ground, a strong scent reminiscent of cilantro and spearmint; healthy and clean and vibrant.

Magical.

Her mouth clamped down and filled with stalks of healing herb, Fluttershy turned toward the sun and leapt into the air. She flapped frantically, swerving and swaying through the rapidly darkening forest. Just as she came at last back to the familiar long path, the sun finally set, and the reassuring beams of sunlight dropped away.

And then she poured it on.

It was much darker now as Fluttershy powered frantically along the threatening forest path, but she wasn’t without grace; in a few moments Luna’s moon lifted and shined behind her through the dark overhanging canvas, lighting her body and feathers in lovely flashes of a pale glow that was entirely lost on her.

Her heart thumped and her breath began to gasp between her clenched teeth. The healing herb soaked her breaths, but it did nothing to calm her nerves like the sight of her cottage did as she burst from the forest entrance.

The little yellow pegasus arrowed forward and blasted across the field to reach her home, finally shooting through the open window. Her wings closed tight for one instant and flared wide-open the next, braking her to a stop and touching her down lightly.

She turned toward the bed, sick with worry.

Rarity lay there, propped up with downy pillows and snoring soft and peaceful with her cheek pressed against a pillow. Her book lay fallen between sleepy hooves.

Her eyelids flickered and lifted, and she smiled sweetly as her half-open gaze fell on Fluttershy.

“Hiiiii,” she croaked. “Have I... been out long?” Then Rarity brought a hoof to her mouth and coughed harshly, hacking away for long moments. Finally she closed her eyes and groaned, spent and aching. “Oh this flu is simply dreadful.”

Fluttershy leapt to her side, dropping the green bundle to the bed. She wrapped her hooves around Rarity, and touched her lips to the white pony’s forehead. The tips of her feathers brushed tenderly against her cheeks and ears and horn.

“I brought something for you, Rarity,” Fluttershy breathed, smiling at last. “You’ll be better in no time.”

Next prompt: Anticipation

Aurora
Group Admin

Welcome to the club! I'm very glad you decided to come here of your own free will; saved me the trouble of having to drag you in! :twilightsmile:

(That's always such a chore, what with all the kicking and screaming, and the vain scrabbling of nails on the ground in a pathetic attempt to gain purchase...)

But anyway, your submission was adorable! :raritywink:

Some really vivid and creative descriptive use of language. Loved it!

1435654 Thank you so much for adding my story to the collection! This is actually my first real published story here on FimFic. It was fun and hard writing a story this short, and I'm honored to join the group.

Could you make two corrections in the published doc? The word grace should be italicized (it's hard to see, but it's there), and the word breaking should be changed to braking, which I didn't catch until just now.

Thanks!

But anyway, your submission was adorable! :raritywink:
Some really vivid and creative descriptive use of language. Loved it!

Aurora, thanks very much for your wonderful compliments. You know how I feel about your writing, so it really pleases me to know you enjoyed my story.

Nice visual, BTW! Yeah, what a mess that would have been; I mean, I need at least two good fingers to type with after the scrabbling is over. I’ll definitely grab more prompts here in the future – this is a real challenge, and a cute pairing.

I really enjoyed your story, as sad as it was. It’s hard for me to read those kind of stories, but you handled it very well. I liked the fact that it didn't seep into and concentrate on sorrow, but more on life and acceptance and remembrance. It was very sweet. :twilightsmile:

I deliberately didn't read any of these stories before writing mine, so now I’m off to read the rest...

1545474 Thank you very muchly! :yay:

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

1540628 Claimed

Anticipation

She could smell them.

They were ripe, and fresh, and perfect. The edge brushed her lips, leaving a dab of whipped cream behind. She whined piteously. When was Rarity going to stop teasing?

"Shhhhh, I'm enjoying the look on your face."

She could hear Rarity chuckle, and she blushed furiously behind the blindfold. A single feather brushed against her chest, and she let out a small squeak. As her mouth opened the ripe strawberry was popped inside, followed by a pair of lips pressed against hers, and a tongue that began to writhe inside her mouth, tasting the fruit, tasting her.

The feather teased her belly. She let out a squeak around Rarity's lips.

The kiss was broken, and Fluttershy gasped for air. "Please, no more teasing..."

"Shhhh, it's all right, love. We have all night. You can be patient, can't you?"

Fluttershy's face felt hot, and that was not the only location to feel that way. "O-okay..."

"There's my brave love."

The following morning, exhausted, they lay wrapped together in each others embrace. Fluttershy watched Rarity's chest rise and fall, completely enamored at the mere sight of her beloved in the bed next to her.

The wait had been worth it.

Next: Betrayal

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 172