The Cadanceverse 268 members · 12 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

This is the thread to work out if we want the first season to have an overarching arc (I'd vote 'yes' myself), and if so, what it is.
(Note that not every episode must contribute to the arc; note that the 'arc' in the show's first season, the Gala thing, was only in 3 episodes including the Gala itself. The 'Night Court' arc in the Lunaverse only was prominent in 4 episodes out of 27 canon episodes in the first season. So having an arc doesn't mean more than we need three or so episodes devoted to it).

A few ideas I had:

1. The Elements are tasked to perform at the Grand Galloping Gala, only to struggle with the inevitable challenges of having six composers for one concert -- all of whom play different genres and instruments.
2. The hunt for Nemesis.
3. Some kind of diplomatic summit that the Elements must represent the nation at.

Any other thoughts?

jz1
jz1 #2 · Jun 29th, 2013 · · 1 ·

How about an arc that is about both the preparations for the Gala, and the return of Nemesis. Perhaps she/it can return at the gala and then cause a huge fight scene.

the performance is the obvious choice. And because it can lead to such hilarity, it should be done.

...and are Celestia and Luna gonna be at the Gala? That would be fun.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1188868: Luna: "I want to go in a pretty dress!"
Celestia: "But you look so much more adorable in your foremare's outfit!"
Luna: "I'm not adorable!" *blush*

I like the idea of them being there.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1188862: Heh. Nemesis: "I shall conquer the world! But first, I shall boogie down." *dances*

Fights at dances are fun...

Wont that be interesting at the Gala, they are both main attraction and entertainment (Huzzah the expectations have been doubled) Although all their instruments could work for a traditional Gala musical ensemble, I imagine conflict could arise from those not willing, or are unable, to bend to this Gala style.
I am probably in the minority but I think that overarching search for Nemesis should be separate from the Gala and that having Nemesis at the Gala may be too much at once. (Also what is Nemesis' motivation; conquest, chaos, evil, fun, tacos?) Even what little I do know of Nemesis, I can see it as the entity that freed Discord (who probably can't hold a tune)

I was wondering about having the Winter wrap up being the end of any arc by my understanding it would mark the end of the first year mark minus about a month.

It could be Ponyvilles major musical event and an example of the of the 'unique musical style of ponyville' that Octy was sent to study in the first place. The 6 could be given the job or organising / performing there quite early in the season with the occasional comment in stories of them get getting on very well with the job.

"So are we going to meet up this week to discuss the wrap up."
"Sorry I'm busy this week, anyway its months away."

Maybe link this into the everfree forest being a living thing, the ponyville wrap up rituals keep it dormant, they don't allow unicorn magic because it might wake up the forest. However, this has all been lost over time with only a few legends remaining. Again their might be mentions of the forest during the year and some old tales about it. Cadence probably has some idea about this but she doesn't think it will be a problem and isn't omniscient.

Finally the wrap up rolls around the 6 have not done their job and the whole things a shambles (Octavia's sorted out the music but its not the right sort and has done nothing about the rest of the organisation, Bluenote hasn't done anything, Medley tried to do everything herself, Fluttershy kept getting distracted by other things, Lyra isn't good at organising practical things, Vinyl wants to try something new, etc) . Meanwhile a progressive crowd (maybe introduced earlier), maybe including Vinyl decide that doing things the old way will take to long so they bring in a crowd of unicorns to tidy things up.

This leads to the forest waking up and starting to grow / walk / absorb stuff and its up to the 6 to sort things out and calm down the forest again.

Considering Octavia and Bluenote are FROM the canon gala episode, it seems like a bit of a shame if the Cadanceverse doesn't have a "Grand Galoppade at the Gala" episode. (Sorry, musical pun)

Could the diplomatic summit be something similar to the Equestria Games? Considering how much the Mane Six went through to impress Ms. Harshwhinney, I can totally see the opening ceremony for the Games being a pretty big deal. Even if they're not competing in the events, there would be a whole lot of VIPs who would be watching them perform and represent Ponyville.

I think all three are good ideas for arcs, although if I had to order them, I'd vote 1-3-2.

Is there any reason that an arc couldn't start in Season One and remain unresolved until Season Two? For example, Mane!Trixie appeared in Boast Busters, and didn't appear again until Magic Duel.

Or is an arc something that should at least be referenced in every story during the season, even if the episode doesn't directly deal with it?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1189156: Arcs do not (and probably should not be) referenced in all stories. The real show's Gala arc was only three episodes. Probably the majority of episodes won't be part of a main arc (though, of course, there can be individual character arcs as well that span multiple episodes).

Arcs can also extend beyond season 1, though I think it'd be good to have at least one arc that did finish along with the season.

I like the Games idea.

You know, I think you might just have a crush on de-aged Luna and Celestia.

Well Fluttershy does at least.

How's about the Gala being the penultimate, but it also being Celestia and Luna's formal debut? And one thread throughout the season is the Cadance Six helping them adjust to modern Equestria?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1189372: No, but I like the contrast of a formerly omnipotent monarch having to contend with being powerless and not looking powerful anymore. Imagine how much a king would be flustered if turned into a puppy that could not command fear or respect or devotion, only people saying 'how cute!' That kind of thing.

My idea:
Season 1: The GGG, getting ready for it, and the inevitable disaster. Hints that something bigger is going on with increased reports of monsters and the like.

Season 2: Nemesis unleashes Discord. After dealing with him, and the fallout of their emotional twisting, the C6 go on a world tour type adventure to try and find information about Nemesis. Ancient ruins, unfriendly local governments, and Nemesis stirring up trouble a must. Season ends with Nemesis defeated...?

Season 3: Celestia and Luna don't have their powers back yet, but they want to get back into helping run the country. Lots of slice of life episodes this season. Season ends with return of Nemesis. Nemesis escapes, but is still weakened from the Season 2 ending.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1189863: I like the idea of keeping Nemesis mostly in reserve (or in the shadows, using monsters and cats-paws instead of showing up himself) until Season 2 (if we make it that far, heh.) Using him too often too early might make the verse seem darker than it is.

1189913 Another idea I have in relation to that is that in a straight up fight, he's not much. He's dangerous because you can't pin him down, and he works through corrupting others. Not direct mind control, but distorting views, lowering inhibitions, offering your hearts desire, etc. Basicly the next best thing to mind control...which he can't use anymore because of those Elements always breaking it! Gahhh!

1189913 A little like Voldemort before he got his body back, right?

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1193004: Yeah.

1189967: Also what I was thinking, although being a Big Bad, I'd imagine he can actually do direct mind control if a victim 'lets him in' enough.

I actually hope that magical mystery cure's equivalent will be a case of supreme test of teamwork, and all of them will get recognized for the work. It'd be much more satisfying that mane 6 and their deal...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19