Humans are Superior 4,451 members · 1,246 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Before I joined this fandom, I was one of the most optimistic people I knew.

Then I came here. I came to Fimfiction, eager to share my fics with a new community.

But they started wearing me down. I tried to put up with it at first, but after dealing with so many "Perfect Ponies" or "Goddess Princess" fics and arguments, I started to argue back. And I was good.

I picked apart the veneer of perfection and godhood with an almost surgical application of cold hard logic and facts.

Then, just moments ago, I realized that they didn't need to win any argument. I had already lost.

Every episode I watched, every fic I read, every animation I sat through, wasn't spent in the childlike glee and enthusiasm I once possessed.

I was too busy waiting for the ponies to present me with more evidence to verbally crucify my opponents with.

I had let them turn me, one of the nicest, most glass-half-full minded people I know, into a cynical douchebag to rival any misanthrope. The only difference was that my target was FICTIONAL MAGIC TALKING PASTEL COLORED PONIES!

I realized this when I dissected the disturbing implications behind Children of the Night. in the comments section of a reaction.

A perfectly innocent animation and I tried to ruin it for everyone and I can't remember why. Fortunately I realized what I had done and deleted all but one of my comments before it could be answered.

What made me realize I was being a colossal douchenozzle? That one comment I didn't delete got a reply saying, "I thought Luna was doing something good."

I was basically trying to ruin this guy's opinion of the thing because I couldn't get over the implications that the maker's hadn't even intended. I was so used to looking for evidence against ponies being "morally superior" that I was attacking a harmless animation made for fun.

How could I let the pony-wankers take the joy out of a fandom I enjoyed so much?

TLDR: It's actually better to be able to enjoy the fandom's content rather than suck the fun out just to shatter some random guy's deluded headcanon because you find it offensive.

Ha, you finally understood. what took you so long?

4050023 It's good to repel the idea that ponies are morally superior. I am of the generation that liked to write about Celestia and Luna being gods, however. To be honest, I don't see how godhood brings about moral superiority.

4050023 I don't know if this could but, there was a recent study that implied that humans are heavily influence by their social circles. so much that they would ignore logic or evidence. I think it just a cause that you have probably dedicated yourself to engaging these people that just reinforce your more cyclical and analogical side so much that it may have become your default.

Honestly, I think that all you have to do is start engaging with people whom just enjoy the show rather then idolize it. Though because of the hiatus i think that the current people whom still frequent MLP sites are the more radical fans, or those whom have made connections outside of the MLP fandom (this group for instance.)

You can get very badly lost, when high on perceived victories. :twilightsheepish:

Agreed, if anything they should be held to higher standards.

Thanks, it was a hard pill for me to swallow.

Thanks for your always helpful input Mr. Dafoe. :rainbowlaugh:

That's some excellent advice. I'm sure that would do me a world of good.

Thank you

4050087 Writing them as gods, along with Discord, was what made fantasy origin stories feel interesting to me. I like the idea, but as I said, I'll never hold them as morally superior. In a lot of ways I compare aliens - equine or otherwise - to humans. We've no reason to think that any species out there would be at their core any different from us. Each of them as ambitious and protective of their ideals as us, with many of those ideals being shared between species to allow them to find common ground. Evolution can lead to some pretty fantastic results, but not a single species will be anything but grey.

Such is life, such is existence.

Good. Gooooood.

The art of supremacy requires maturity as well as cross examination of not only arguments used against us, but the very arguments we use against concepts we consider wrong.

Soooo... what were those disturbing implications behind Children of the Night? :trollestia:

4050913 I found pretty much everything in the video rather unsettling. What the hell was the opening narration about, anyhow?

4050023 Relax. Don't feel ashamed. Just feel great that you finally came to this realization.

4050913 the
Luna kidnapped a bunch of children and left them alone to try and run a colony on their own. She couldn't have stayed there to care for them or Celestia would have realized something was going on. She even managed to convince them it was a good thing.

Not to mention that in the movie the song is originally from, it's used to lure in children for human sacrifice. The "garden of magic and shadows" refers to death.

Of course I doubt the maker was thinking about any of that.

Thanks.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14