The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,463 members · 49,333 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Twilight Sparkle's eyes met hers. Though only one was revealed, and she didn’t know why.

“Your one eye is hidden,” the alicorn said. The other mare’s serpentine mask gleamed under an unknowable light, partly shrouding her face.

“Yes.” It wasn’t a question. 

“Could you tell me why it’s hidden?”

A pause. Then she glanced away. “That is for another day.” 

Twilight nodded. “Bad things, I’m guessing?”

“Yes.”

“I understand.”

“No, you do not.”

Another pause.

“I don’t understand it myself,” the mare continued, “and I don’t understand myself. How can anypony else, then?”

Twilight spoke no further, and she observed her, scrutinizing but fair. She seemed like a mortal caught in the shadow of a god, unwavering.

“How can I understand this? My predicament? Too much for anypony to bear, yet I’m here. I still exist. And it’s as if I don’t. I might as well not have.”

“Why do you say such things?” The alicorn was as if a meek filly.

The mare almost chuckled. “Hope. You all gave it to me. Perhaps I gave it to myself. A light I can follow in an eternal void. Some key to get me out of here. Then…” She didn’t know what to say.

Twilight tapped her hoof. Then she tilted her head, expression firm. “Do you want that?”

Another pause. No words were spoken.

“I was lonely. I hadn’t anything. Not even myself. Not even my own soul.

“But then somepony appeared, and that somepony showed me a smile. A yearning. Not fear, even if they may have it. Curiosity. He let me go. Set me free. I have those things now. I want more.”

And she did chuckle, smiling sadly, regarding beyond her unfretted stars. “Feather…” The mare longed to speak more, but that was all she could find herself to say. She fluttered her eyelids, as if searching for him in that whole other reality.

TScarred Serpentine
When Feather Dew takes a magic psychedelic, he didn’t expect to meet with an enigmatic, masked mare. Who was she? How could he recognize her if they’ve never met before?
Metanoia · 116k words  ·  13  0 · 485 views
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1