The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,470 members · 49,476 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Welcome to 2019's summer writing contest!

It's been a while since I hosted a contest since I've been so wrapped up in art commissions. The last time I gave away free art was in a random art raffle I did a few months ago. This time however, each and every one of you will be able to prove your writing skills. For in victory, the top four ranked individuals will win art pieces of their own. Free of charge!

PRIZES:

1st Place: One fully shaded pony + background. Drawn by me.

Examples of my work:

2nd Place: Fully shaded pony portrait. Drawn by me.

Example of my work:

3rd Place: One full body pony + background. Drawn by Mr Tech (hugo231929)

Example of his work:

4th Place: One full body pony. Drawn by Mr Tech (hugo231929)

Example of his work:

Requirements to join contest:

1- Follow us on Deviantart:

https://www.deviantart.com/nixworld

https://www.deviantart.com/hugo231929

2- Comment on this thread with your DeviantArt name. If I see that you're on the list of watchers on DA, and once Mr Tech confirms, you're in!

STORY CONDITIONS

1- Fight/battle scene between one of your OC's and one of the Mane 6: You will be judged based on the creativity of the fight scene and how entertaining it is. Your OC can use any crazy powers/weapons you've given them, so long as you at least mention why they have said powers/weapons.

IMPORTANT: This is a fighting scene in the sense that they're hitting, kicking, punching, beaming, blasting... each other. Not to be confused with a competition fight like a "cook fight", race, or something similar.

2- The theme is up to you. It can be a super comedic, over the top action sequence, or you can go for a more realistic and gruesome approach. Or perhaps something in between. The choice is yours.

3- Mention of the cause of the fight: You will also be judged based on the creativity of the fight's cause, and how both characters interact with one another depending on the cause.

- For example, if the reason of the fight is because your OC ate Pinkie's favorite cupcake, then there could be some interesting dialogue between the two. Perhaps the OC is trying to defuse the situation while Pinkie's trying to murder them.

However there is no need to delve in to a detailed backstory, as the fight is the most important.

4- Maximum 1500 words: Any more than 1500 words and the contest entry will not be reviewed. Remember that the fight is the main attraction to your story. Do not waste space on a flashback or unnecessary backstory.

If you win:

Accessories for your OC are acceptable, however if we deem there to be a piece of apparel too complex to draw (i.e. chainmail armor) we will not draw that specific piece.

Same goes for backgrounds. Keep it simple guys. A grassy meadow is fine. A museum with different statues of your OC's is not.

You submit by sending me the story in a PM here on FIMFic. No need to publish!

The deadline will be in August 13th at 00:00 EST.

A huge thanks to The Psychopath and Mr Tech for participating as judges for the contest.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Probably not participating unless I get particularly inspired, (I'm not really good at fight scenes, and I tend to not have time anyways) but getting rule clarifications never hurts.

Is there a minimum word count? If someone wrote, say, a 150 word story, would that be a valid entry?

Does the fight have to be strictly between the two characters? If, for example, the fight was between an orphaned filly OC and Twilight over a library book, could Spike be part of the fight?

--Sweetie Belle

1000 word minimum just to publish... that is not a good window to cram...

6933944 I hate OCs, so count me out.

So sorry! I forgot to mention how to submit. I edited the post now so it can contain that information.

You submit by sending me the story in a PM. No need to publish!

Chaoticson... Is this how it works?

Anyway, followed both of you over at DA. Also gave ya llama badges, just for fun.

Yep, you're in. And thanks for the llama badges!

No problem, you deserve them. :)

Robipony
Group Admin

6933944 Does the fight actually have to be a battle fight or could it be a competition between the two characters?

It has to be a battle fight. However, if you wish, you can write it so that it is shown that they are competing in a game. Again, as long as there's an entertaining fight scene, the stakes can be whatever you want.

I apologize for not replying sooner. I somehow didn't see your comment.

There is no minimum. You're trying to cram as much content into the limit, so ideally, you'd want to reach the limit as everything below the limit is valid, and will be taken into consideration when reviewing the entries.

Sorry, the rules strictly state only one character from the main cast. Spike may be mentioned running away or watching or something like that, however he should not participate in the fight itself.

I may take part in this as I have an OC I think would be perfect for it. Just haven't used in a while. Though my writing schedule will probably be a bit tight. See what I can do :)

I do have a question though. In the rules, you specify: "No Need To Publish." Does that mean we can't publish the story on the site until after the contest ends? Just upload it and share with you?

All you need to do is send the story to me via a PM. You can publish the story if you want whenever you like, but it's not necessary for the contest.

i suddenly have the urge to write my oc fighting Dashie ala Goku vs Vegeta XD.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14