IDW MLP Comics 280 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Well. This was educational.

Ancient Canterlot had Greek (pegasus) architecture, even though it's a unicorn city. Despite being built on a mountainside, it once held the pony equivalent of the Roman Colosseum somewhere within it. Pony culture in that time was basically interchangeable with present day culture with almost no implied change at all, right down to pop music existing. Star Swirl the Bearded invented fucking rap music, along with like twenty other genres. The Dazzlings' mind control magic is both weak as shit and has no readily apparent effect on its victims, even as the Dazzlings gloat about the disharmony they're spreading. And also either the mirror sent the Dazzlings one thousand years into the future of the human world for no real reason, or the technology and culture of the human world has remained completely static for over one thousand years.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In all seriousness, I expected the comic to be terrible from the moment I heard that Anderson was writing it, and Jesus fucking tapdancing Christ was I right. How does this man still have a job?

4280766 I gotta agree. After the Tirek comic, which was awesome (and I kinda wish it was a good 20 pages longer than it was or had a second issue), the Sirens issue felt...pointless and weak.

Tirek's issue was an excellent first issue for a series, but as a oneshot, I'd rate it much lower. Sombra's issue was pretty great all around, and is so far my favourite of the series. This one was... yeah.

I mean, couldn't we at least have gotten an explanation about how the Sirens connect to Aquastria, the kelpies, or any of the other undersea equinoids that've appeared in FiM's expanded universe? That should've been a no-brainer.

I have to agree and it seems that my fears regarding this is coming true. That they wasted it all on making Sombra awesome. I mean, it was like they just wanted to get through the sirens as soon as possible so came up with something in less than five seconds.

4280766 Well, this issue had some good points and good artwork. The changing in music generes was definitely pointless, and the Sirens origins weren't really explored. There wasn't anything objectionably wrong with it, but it didn't accomplish much of anything. At least with Tirek's story, we could see the makings of what became the villanous mastermind.

The next one is centered on Nightmare Moon, which I'm really scratching my head on. Both the show, and the comics have already pretty much covered everything we need to know about Nightmare Moon's origins. What more is there left to tell?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this comic was weak. I think it was easy to tell right away that this was not going to be a serious story. It was a very light hearted approach to a trio of villains who really didn't have to be as dark as Sombra or Tirek. This more than the other fiendship comics feels like watered down gruel for kiddies with soft minds. Tirek's story was a let down, and so for only Sombra has had the best comic overall, with Andy Price promising something excellent for bug queen. It was kind of funny how the first three preview pages of the Andy's comic told a better story than the whole Siren's comic.

Oh well. There's always the hope that we'll see the Sirens again in the next EqG movie where they'll have better roles.

There wasn't anything objectionably wrong with it

Really? Because I object pretty hard to all the massive gaping plot holes in this story. Quite aside from everything wrong with ancient Canterlot and how incredibly stupid it is that Star Swirl the Bearded invented rap music, I think the Crystal Mirror is the part that annoys me the most.

I mean, we knew that the flow of time between the two worlds was distorted, since Sunset Shimmer entered the human world when Twilight was a blank flank and has hardly aged since then, but now this comic is telling me that the world of Equestria Girls has either been in a nightmarish state of cultural and technological stagnation on the level of the Imperium of Man for centuries, or that over a thousand years on Equestria's side is only a matter of... what? Months in the human world? Has Sunset Shimmer only been in Canterlot High for a few days from her perspective? Did Twilight's other friends spend entire weeks waiting on her during the events of both movies? When Sunset finally musters up the courage to go back home and apologise to Celestia, is she going to emerge in the far future and find that everyone she ever knew who wasn't immortal is already dead?

Honestly, fuck Ted Anderson. I cannot for the life of me understand why he does this. He's written every major Equestria Girls story to date, aside from Sunset Shimmer's origin, so you'd think that he'd be really enthusiastic about it and have a real love for this world, but the consistent theme in all his EG writing is that even when an opportunity to do some decent worldbuilding is put right in front of him, he refuses to do it. When I look at Anderson's work, it always evokes the worst part about the EG movies - that empty feeling that nothing seems to exist in the human world outside of that fucking high school.

I would agree how they didn't seem to put much effort in the sirens comic but I am gonna have to admit that this gives me an opportunity for much more head swaps with the human sirens and the equestrian sirens then rainbow rocks had for me.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8