IDW MLP Comics 280 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

I found these at Equestria Daily There is even an interview with the writer Ted Anderson Equestria Daily

It weird that the dialog on the second page is very similar to the way I wrote my own Christmas story almost a year ago! and it was with Applejack too!
I don't care if I had to put an "Alternate Universe" tag on my story, I'm still looking forward to this special!
From the interview it looks like that the plot involves cyber bullying, lets see how MLP handles this hot button issue.

Looking forward to this one.

...AJ has really UGLY thumbs. :twilightoops:

Also:

I don't care if I had to put an "Alternate Universe" tag on my story

That's not how the Alternate Universe tag works. It isn't meant to be slapped on stories that new canon has invalidated. It's meant to be used on stories where something about the core universe is altered. Like, Twilight Sparkle never went to Ponyville, or was born male, or Luna was never imprisoned in the moon, or Discord was never defeated, or everyone's a potato. THAT is what the AU tag is for, not "oh, a new episode/comic messed with my story, lalala!"

Even if the story has been already rewritten now a continuation of a previous EG story that is an alternate ending to original EG movie.

This will be different to see.

3796770 Yes, I'm confused about this, because I'm not clear about exactly what AU is. Some would say, "gosh, canon now makes this impossible: stick an AU tag on," even on an ongoing story. That's why I raced to finish my EG fic. At the same time, I've heard that any change of circumstances (a Cheese Sandwich based character shows up in Equestria Girls) needs the AU tag--or even that Equestria Girls itself needs the AU tag.

I've found that people get annoyed when you don't use it, so I do, even when I'm not convinced it's necessary.

3798456 I've written up this explanation of how to use--and NOT use--the AU tag.

The TL;DR version is this: if you started writing something and then an episode/comic/movie came out that messes with your story, you DO NOT need the AU tag, because that was NEVER what it was intended to be used for.

The AU tag is JUST for stories where the universe itself is fundamentally altered from its core premise in some way--where the deviation occurs BEFORE the beginning of the series. It is NOT for "oh, Twilight's castle messes with my story" or "oh, wasn't expecting Tirek" or "oh, Rainbow Rocks shits all over my Sunset Shimmer redemption story". Don't use it for that, and if people bitch at you for NOT using it for something like that, ignore them because they're wrong.

Thanks for the explanation--I'll go read your whole post now. (I was going to write a question, and then I thought, "why not read it first?")

EDIT: 3798482 Thank you! The AU tag isn't for EG stories, then? Also, what if it's a sequel or a side story to something you already wrote? Back in the day, when I wrote Harry Potter fanfic, we used to put "canon up to Book Four" or something, and that took care of it either way. There are some minor adjustments I'd need to make to write a sequel to what I've done, mostly involving timeline. My story has to have taken place at about the same time as Rainbow Rocks. For the purposes of the sequel, I was thinking of bumping those events so they occur between Through the Mirror and Rainbow Rocks.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7