Straight Shipping 2,895 members · 6,632 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

If the show writers decided to make Fluttercord officially canon, what would you guys think?

Do any of you think that the two would have the large enough potential to be a couple and if it could even work? Outside of their age and species differences?

With me, of course, I hope it doesn’t happen. One reason being because I don’t want to be seeing Fluttercord fans doing a victory dance over it. The other being because it would take away the purpose behind why Celestia assigned Discord to Fluttershy in the first place: to teach him about friendship and the values of having one.

What would you also think if, ironically enough, Fluttershy somehow developed a crush on Discord but he doesn’t return the feeling? In other words, viewing her as only his best friend?

I don't know who that guy is, but could we please avoid personal attacks?

Okay.

Would taking away the name of the author help?

Yes, it would.

Mind you: For all I know, that could have been just a lighthearted jab between friends (or something). But the people who read your post have no way of knowing that. We have no way of knowing the context that would make it a lighthearted jab.

In other words: The problem isn't that it's a personal attack, the problem is that it looks like a personal attack! I'm not a mod or anything, I just really don't like seeing personal attacks.

Rest assured. This is not meant to be a personal attack.

The subject here is really just something I’ve grown curious about.

Comment posted by ZombieWarrior478 deleted Jul 7th, 2019

If the writers decided to make Fluttercord officially canon. I would love it!:heart:

But I had suspicion that there maybe a small chance that Discord would die in the final episodes.

And my closest friend watches the show just for Discord alone. So if that dose happen she is going to cry!

But back to Fluttercord. Make it official!:pinkiehappy:

Understood. With that out of the way:
I wouldn't want Fluttershy and Discord to become romantically involved, in the show. Mostly for the sake of the target audience.

Discord is … not exactly ideal husband material. I don't want to encourage the target audience to pursue men like Discord, when they're older. Women in their teens and 20s already have this nasty habit of pursuing “bad boys”, who just end up hurting them.

They may be best friends, but Discord doesn't strike me as the type to settle down for anyone, much less a mortal. Even he has feelings, being (mostly) reformed and all, and he wouldn't want to go through the pain of watching his loved ones die any more than he has to. If any pony were to get him to settle down, I'd vote for Celestia doing it, mostly because she has the time to be able to work on it, vs Fluttershy having at most another 70, 80 years or so in it's entirety. Discord also wouldn't have to go through watching his mate pass away either.

“[Discord] wouldn't want to go through the pain of watching his loved ones die any more than he has to.”

I think the trouble there is: Just because you don't have sex with someone, that doesn't mean it won't hurt when he dies.

In other words: If Fluttershy is a dear friend to Discord, then she's already a loved one. Sex and romance are not required for love. And losing someone you love sucks.

Me personally it would be Luna instead after all Celestia properly doesn't want anything to do with him

Thank you Captain Obvious, what would I ever do without you? I knew that, and I wasn't even considering sex/romance when I was weighing the different possibilities. I was basing it off the premise of having a lifelong friend pass away, vs having a spouse pass away. While it would be painful to watch a friend pass away, because yes they are in fact loved ones, I don't think it would come close to the pain felt by losing a spouse.

Hm, that's an interesting route. Now I'm gonna have to look that up.

You have a point. But a spouse is a dear lifelong friend. When you get down to it: I don't think there's much difference between being married, and having your best friend as a roommate.

Loosening your spouse would be more painful. Because when two dear friends live together and have sex (and that's what marriage is), they're going to have a closer bound then they would otherwise. Closer bound = More pain from the loss.

But it's going to be painful either way. Avoiding romance to avoid that pain seems like a fool's errand. Maybe that will dull the pain. But giving up romance and marriage, just to dull the pain: That doesn't seems like a good deal.

Yeah, but people still do it, in an effort to avoid pain, for various reasons. I'm guilty of it. It's not even a conscious thing, it's an automatic defense.

They've leaned fairly close into it, to the point of having Spike tease Discord about it and Discord do a transparent denial. It feels like how they do Applejack and Rarity in Equestria Girls.

I enjoy Fluttercord fiction a lot myself, but from the show's point of view it's hard to say what they would really show if they made it canon. In the show you pretty much have couples standing next to each other and blushing (like Big Mac and Sugar Belle), a wedding, and then foals show up. I would enjoy it from a shameless shipping trash point of view, but not really sure if it would be that good a story for the final season.

It would be an interesting idea of Fluttershy having a crush on Discord and Discord not returning it while Fluttershy still being bound to spend time with Discord as his reformer, but it would also be hard to swallow. Like, I can accept the idea that Fluttershy doesn't actually have feelings for Discord, it's kind of ambiguous in canon. But after that Gala episode, I think it's really hard to think that Discord doesn't have feelings for Fluttershy.

“They've leaned fairly close into it, to the point of having Spike tease Discord about it and Discord do a transparent denial. It feels like how they do Applejack and Rarity in Equestria Girls.”

I haven't noticed that, but I haven't watched some of the recent episodes. Could you tell me which episodes that's in (both the Discord/Fluttershy and Applejack/Rarity stuff). Or give me some clips, or something?

“[A]fter that Gala episode, I think it's really hard to think that Discord doesn't have feelings for Fluttershy.”

Why? Discord was jealous alright, but it didn't really seem like romantic jealousy. Tree Hugger (Fluttershy's hippie friend) isn't a man, and didn't express romantic interest in Fluttershy.

I can easily see Discord having the same response, if he were a (heterosexual) woman. Actuality, I can more easily see a female Discord getting jealous of Tree Hugger like that, then a male Discord.

I haven't noticed that, but I haven't watched some of the recent episodes. Could you tell me which episodes that's in (both the Discord/Fluttershy and Applejack/Rarity stuff). Or give me some clips, or something?

For the Discord/Fluttershy, it was the Season 8 episode "The Breakup Breakdown." For EQG Applejack and Rarity, it was the movie "Rollercoaster of Friendship."

Why? Discord was jealous alright, but it didn't really seem like romantic jealousy. Tree Hugger (Fluttershy's hippie friend) isn't a man, and didn't express romantic interest in Fluttershy.

Ehhhh. I think that kind of rabid jealousy is really hard to see as non-romantic. He never got jealous about Fluttershy spending time with her other friends before it got cast as a date. And I doubt Discord ever verified if Fluttershy was not bisexual, so he still thought it was a romantic date even after he found out she was inviting a female friend.

Interesting. Never thought of it that way, but I think I see your point. Still, I think that's unlikely:

#1: It's unlikely that Fluttershy's bi or lesbian, simply because most people are straight. Unless Discord has some reason to believe otherwise, it can be presumed that Fluttershy's straight.

#2: Sexual orientation, the way we understand it as modern Americans (or people under American cultural influence), is largely a cultural construct of modern America. Outside of that cultural construct: I doubt a man would find it threatening, just because his woman enjoys sex with other women. Even in modern America: A lot of men would really not mind that!

And speaking for myself: I wouldn't mind my wife having sex with a women. So long as that woman is good to my wife, and so long as that woman's not trying convince my wife that she's “really a lesbian” and should leave me: I'm fine with it.

#3: You said "that kind of rabid jealousy is really hard to see as non-romantic". Ever seen how young women can get rabidly jealous, when it comes to their platonic friendships with other woman? It's a lot like what what Discord did.

Granted, Discord's not a woman, and there could easily be a romantic competent to this. But still: I think this is less akin to a man being jealous, because some other man's getting too close to his woman. And more akin to a woman being jealous, because she's afraid of some other woman getting too close to her best friend. She's afraid of the other woman “stealing the spotlight” from her.

As for AJ and Rarity, I just finished watching "Rollercoaster of Friendship". Honestly: I think you're confusing normal female-female interactions, for something romantic.

As for the jealousy: Women can get jealous, when one of their friends gets a new friend (I explained that in my last post). Plus AJ's jealousy was rather mild.

As for the hugging and the blushing: That's what young women do. The way two close female friends interact: It's often the kind of thing that would be called “romantic”, if it were a man and a woman. That doesn't make them lesbian, it just makes them women.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21