The Griffon Kingdom 844 members · 516 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

I'm writing a gryphon story right now, and like a good little British boy I'm spelling it correctly. But it's going to be posted on a website where all these foreigners seem to spell the word wrong.

Joking aside, I'm after opinions on the spelling. I'm aware that the show uses the American spelling, so that will naturally be the standard on this site; but I typically write with British spelling throughout because that to me is what's correct (and doesn't make my word processor sprout red wavy lines everywhere). How many of you believe "griffon" to be the One True Spelling, and how many are happy to take either?

5053487 We're Americans, rebels to anything and everything. Even common sense.

I prefer spelling it as Gryphon. It was how it was labeled correctly when I wrote my story on Microsoft word, and I'm over half a millions words in to change it now,

I use mostly "gryphon" rather than "griffon" because I consider the latter to be a given name or a surname.

Gryphon. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1177/her-little-gryphon I'm an American, but the language is English, hence the English spellings are the proper ones.

The sad thing is the fact that there are actually three spellings of the word. Griffin, griffon, and gryphon are all three correct spellings, though the OED says that the "-fon" spelling is archaic. The OED does give "-fin" status as the spelling used in the word's definition.

i mostly go with griffin because of the show

I thought it was Gryphon for sentient ones, but Griffin for more feral types. To each their own.

From what research i have done, Gryphon is the medieval way of spelling, and Griffon, or Griffin, is the more modern way of spelling.

I'm glad to hear at least some support for the proper spelling. At least enough that I can claim there are two equally valid camps and I'm totally in the right one.

I'd forgotten "griffin" was an option as well. The show uses griffon, right?

Does anygryphon feel like pre-reading/editing? It's short, just two and a bit chapters, with no mature content to worry about.

personally I normally write it Gryphon and I am from the US. When I first joined FIM Fiction I was confused about the true spelling but I found that in the show it is spelled griffon so that's what I use when I write. But i still go by gryphon. :trixieshiftleft:

Oh please, Common Sense set off the American Revolutionary War. But then again, common sense also made us think that the bigger an explosion a nuke can make, the safer we feel... let's just say we do not think like that anymore.

P.S I like to use Gryphon, sounds older and more to my style of writing.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15