Technology VS. Magic 2,666 members · 784 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
2D
2D #1 · Dec 18th, 2013 · · 1 ·

Say hello to the deadliest weapon ever built. The Trident nuclear ballistic missile submarine. It's a doomsday machine, built to strike back if the United States is ever reduced to ashes in a nuclear holocaust.

The USS Florida slips through the Atlantic. Stretched as long as two football fields, her silhouette moves like a shadow on the surface. The Florida is what sailors call a "Boomer," a submarine loaded with enough nuclear weapons to incinerate the former Soviet Union.

Inside, she was designed for one thing -- to carry 24 nuclear ballistic missiles, hide them under the sea and stand by for the order to end the world.

Each missile carries eight nuclear warheads. Each warhead can be sent to a different target. One Trident sub carries the power of 5,000 bombs like the one that destroyed Hiroshima.

I might not be American, but damn that sounds awesome.

Source

2411709 I prefer the Russian Typhoon sub. It's bigger. And it has a swimming pool.

Who said the apocalypse couldn't be luxurious. :raritystarry:

DamnToasty
Group Admin

2411709 Meanwhile, Celestia can summon localized nuclear fusion at will.

She can move it, not make it.

Xenocelstia? As in the racist-tyrant one that everyone hates? Not the one we love in the show?

FUCK YEAH, FLORIDA

I live in Florida, I have the right to say this.

2411709>>2414276>>2414256>>2412898>>2412257>>2411967>>2411909
So America has built an incredibly dangerous and threatening nuclear weapon.......And told the entire world that it has one.:facehoof:. Way to create paranoia.

...You do realize that the article said that we had these for at least 20 years, right?

I am aware, yes. But that doesn't mean someone didn't face-palm at the time of the release. Retroactive face-palm is retroactive.

2414294 Keep it in context: it was built during the height of the Cold War. Letting the Soviets know we have a submarine that's both unable to be effectively detected by them and has enough firepower to destroy their country by itself is a pretty useful deterrent for them to make even more of an effort to avoid nuclear war.

Fair enough. I'm somewhat surprised other nations haven't demanded America gets rid of them though.

2414342 How would they accomplish that? The US is the largest trading partner to many, many nations, so economic sanctions won't work. They are also utterly unable to match the US Military on the field of battle, so an attempt through military force is doomed to fail before it ever began. When we get rid of these submarines, it'll be because we've built better ones to replace them.

2411709 this man has a point... if not for the GIANT MAGEWALL in the way. Freaken magewalls. WHY CAN'T I KILL YOU?!!?!??!?!?!?

2412898 >Implying she didn't, in fact, create the sun.

2414294 It's not much of a deterrent if no one knows you have it.

2414342 England, France, Russia and China all have nuclear ballistic missile submarines as well and India is developing its own. That is pretty much all the world's major players so if they all have some America sure isn't going to let itself not.

Besides, Russia was the first to come up with the idea but it didn't work too well the first time around.

2416214 >Implying she has the power to create something even remotely that massive...

While still being trumped by the (stolen) power of love.

2416599 But what if the sun in Equestria is the size of a bath ball, and only hovers about 100 km off the surface. (Kármán Line)

2416662 It would consume itself in seconds and Nightmare Moon gets her eternal night.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19