Technology VS. Magic 2,666 members · 784 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

i remember something of reading that the radio wave can be used for internet but can't find that web page i remember a long time ago.

it's slow but good for sending email and text in faraway areas off the grid.

its for part of my story but would be nice to know if it can be done and if so how it's done.

Wifi and cell signals actually work off of radio waves. You don't have to do too much adaptation I think.

As I recall, the longer the wavelength the further you can transmit, but the less the quality. Broadband is basically internet via radio waves.

This article also has some interesting other internet ideas, which you might find useful:
Weird IP networks

ok.... i really didn't know you could even do that by using birds to sent data over them....

ok am going to say this in our world it won't work all the time but in the mlp world..... ya that would work so very well at times i have to wonder at times if they have a hoard of birds with gear on them to do that.

also ya the reason why i ask there a part of the story of being on an airship needing to sent an email and sending work foams files

also how big a ship have to be to make its own radio station?

One of my friends was trying to build one into a briefcase, with an antenna that would be flown with a kite. I don’t know if he ever actually accomplished it, but there’s no reason he couldn’t have.

I’ve got a CB radio that’s about the size of a cigar box and can transmit miles, and that’s a Radio Shack cheapie. The radio station I used to work at in the 90s, their transmitters were about the size of a small form-factor desktop computer, and we tuned them once to get about a ten mile range (we weren’t FCC licenced, so we weren’t supposed to transmit off campus).

If pony tech is simpler, the stuff would be bigger and heavier, but it’s still not outrageous. Back in the fifties, a 30’ Coast Guard boat could probably transmit in the tens of miles (more if the receiving tower was higher [VHF is line-of-sight]), and that’d have used a comparatively bulky radio.

So I guess I’d say if your airship is big enough to have a crew of several ponies or a multi-ton cargo capacity, it’d easily be big enough to carry a radio station aboard.

The "radio" in most of these cases is microwave (which is still a part of the radio spectrum I know). We use them to get to really remote locations where stringing a wire is impractical or impossible - islands, canyons, or mountains. They work ok so long as it's a straight shot from A to B. Dust & humidity can both screw with them, so every once in a while someone has to go clean the receivers off or re-align them after strong winds, or just wait out storms entirely. I don't know the exact range, but I'm pretty sure it's single digit miles.
I've never gotten into HAM radio but I've known guys who did. You can set that stuff up in a spare bedroom, or really go nuts in a garage or basement. It doesn't need a whole lot of room just to work, but more power = larger gear = more range.
Single engine planes have radios in them that communicate with ground control so they don't have to be very large, and I think they get a range boost for altitude up to a point, but I'm way outside my expertise on that. Older plains had radios too so it's not just a modern invention though I'm sure they've gotten smaller & better as time has gone on.
Bottom line - if you want an aircraft to have internet in Equestria, it can be done. Size won't really matter unless you want to cover really large areas like entire states all at once.

ah ok then thx

so in the mlp airship dose, a radio station the size of a ship room would do?

Honestly, the size of a writing desk would probably be sufficient for a decent range. I’d assume they’re not trying to transmit to the moon...

no but i was thinking there in the middle of the size of the size i think

That’s a terrestrial radio station from the 20s, and probably all that you’re not seeing is the transmitter and antenna.

This is about what the radio equipment would have looked on the Titanic

ok then thx would that work with the radio internet thing? like 300 bits/ps or something like that to sent emails or sending documents?

It'd be slow as hell, but it should.

cool btw am talking old software kind of email and document.

mostly of docking info and cargo loads, also is their hope for I.M. software to work too (you know chat rooms and all that like how discord is now but like old old AOL old or IRC)

The older the better, ‘cause the bandwidth of the old-school stuff isn’t great. For just basic text, though, it’d work fine. Maybe kinda slow replies to messages, but then that was to be expected back in those days.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15