Romance is Magic! 1,723 members · 5,383 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Does anyone here have any tips for a writer who has only recently started writing a romance fic? Any romantic tips?

5638150 I don't have tips more like here's some pitfalls to watchout for,

A lot of commuincation is nonverbal, this goes double for Romance, be carefull of overly cheesy prosaic diaouge

If your story is :twilightsmile: I like you, do you like me?
:rainbowkiss: I like you too, lets date
:twilightsmile: yay now our relationship is perfect!

You're doing it wrong.

If you're writing a lesbian ship, be wary of making your antagonist a garden variety bigot

Here's one tip. Obstacles and tension are good. Figure out how you can add those in wherever possible, (without going overboard).

5638150 Tropes work, but make sure you own it. Make a new spin on it, make it unique and interesting with your writing and events. A classic example is Fluttershy taking care of somepony. It happens a ton in romance, but is still usable if you find ways to make it unique.

Personality before what you yourself want to happen. So many times a writer changes the character's personality to fit into what they want their story to be about. If you have the two ponies in a relationship from the start, then immediately having them acting out of character, it irritates the reader. Doing some changes to personality slowly over time works quite well though.

This also depends on your level of syrupy sweetness. When someone makes Dash start being overly lovey dovey, pet names, and doing tons of baby talk/sweet talk to the one she's with, it gets irritating since nowhere in the series is she ever like that.

All of these are good. Real romance isn't like those Anne Rule novels. A date doesn't have to be a perfect night in a fancy restaurant with rose pedals and violins and a French Maitre D' - a date can simply be a couple going to a bowling alley and goofing around and having a good time. The same goes for if they're at home and being real, silly people together, lazing around or playing games and just having a good time.

I'm not tooting my own horn here, but experiencing it is honestly the best way to learn how it works in reality. I say that because if i compare my romance stories from when i was 15 to the ones i've written twelve years and three serious relationships later... the difference i staggering.

the best thing i can say is that straight up fluff is unrealistic if it's just thrown out there without buildup and it can feel unnatural if the characters are simply 'enamored' with each other without explanation or proper story behind it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6