Children of Equestria 1,031 members · 1,503 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

How exactly does the school system in Ponyville work?

We see one school, with one classroom, with one class, with one teacher. But we've seen foals in Ponyville that haven't appeared in Apple Bloom's class. From the looks of it, the class is largely around the same age (judging from how most of them have cutie marks), and from what I can tell they attend school on a regular schedule.

From the most accurate-looking estimate I've found so far, Ponyville should have between 3,100- and 4,300-odd ponies. Rounding that down to a a mere 3,000 and looking only at ages 5-9 (~7.3% of the population, using U.S. census data from 2000), there should be more than 200 foals attending school. Even assuming that the Equestrian education system doesn't go past primary school and that sending one's foals to school is optional, there should be a LOT more to education in Ponyville than we're seeing.

With an interest in eventually writing a story partially taking place in school, I'd like to hear your opinion on what's actually going on with Ponyville's school... or schools.
(Also, if you happen to know of a blog, story, or over-detailed-analysis-by-smart-bronies-who-somehow-figure-amazing-things-out-from-tiny-show-details that happens to cover this, I would appreciate it if you could drop me a link.)

I think that it's a "one class, one teacher" system. Namely, for each grade there is only one teacher that covers all subjects (but only for Grade School). Middle School is still in Ponyville, but all High Schools are out of town and so all students have to commute.

The school does seem small for suck a large community, I'll give you that. And your number is probably pretty close given the number of school-age ponies shown in"Twilight Time". My theory is that schooling is mandatory until they get their cutie marks, with the understanding that sometimes ponies can't attend cause of home matters occasionally (ie: Apple Bloom is needed for the farm). Once a pony finds their special talent, I see that they mostly go into apprenticeship programs, where they learn more about their talent, while still going to school occasionally. This explains why her classmates change occasionally.

For that matter, where are all the students who are not between the ages of ten and thirteen?!

It's like the writers just figure "all kids" are lumped up in roughly the CMC's general age category. Only one teenager is to be seen anywhere. Two if you count Flitter like I do. :twilightsmile: Not one kid the age of the flashback from "Sweetie Bell Toils" is seen.

These kids are kindergarten age, right?

It's like ponies only exist in the following age categories: Newborn, Infant, Ten-year-old, Adult, Elderly. This is a consequence of using templates in Flash animation of course.

As for the MLP world... I figure there's a high school somewhere in Ponyville. Likely kids are homeschooled until they are close to ten, then they go to Cheerilee's school for maybe 4 years (CMC ought to be getting out of this soon eh?) and then move on to high school. Speaking of the CMC, I truly, truly hope the show actually gives them progression and gives them their cutie marks in season 5. They've been "late bloomers" in this regard for four years. There's no excuse to keep dragging it on forever, and this better not be some sort of "eternal child" situation like Bart Simpson. I'd give major props to the show for actually turning the CMC into genuine teenagers like "Pearly Whites" at some point.

Another possibility is that there are morning and afternoon classes. We know that there are just a ton of kids in Ponyville who we never see in the CMC's class.

I count eight unfamiliar faces here.

And how many seats are in Cheerilee's class? Nine?

Where are Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?

Take Rumble for example. One of the more regular colts who isn't even in the above photos. Have you ever seen him in the same class as Apple Bloom? Heaps of kids are regular side characters but never show up in the classroom. And if you want to get technical, there's like thirty or forty more kids that can be found on the wiki foals page. There's got to be some other class or maybe even some other school. Perhaps Ponyville is divided into 3 or 4 small "Districts" where there are little schoolhouses on each side of town, but we only ever see Cheerilee's class because that's the one the CMC goes to.

Here's an interesting image someone made of Ponyville. It's a cool bit of concept art for the possible size of the town.

It is quite an issue that I myself have found questionable. When writing the school chapters/scenes within my story, its been quite a mind boggling experience on how the school system even works! Given that its been 2 years in the story so far, my protagonist should be in 4th grade, yet they are in the same school, same teacher, and same class. Well, the latter not really mattering much. But still, it is like they are still in 2nd grade.

Cold Spike
Group Admin

It depends on the story... before I begin ((IT IS APPLE BLOOM NOT APPLEBLOOM)) anyway, the great thing about fanfiction is you could come up with any theory and just use it. I've seen people use this to their advantage as humor, where no child in Ponyville goes except like ten of them. You could argue it's a quiet town and parents often teach their own children like in the very olden days (think pre 1900s and long before). You could make a story where it's a conspiracy theory. Or you could simply make up other schools in the town that aren't shown in the show or comics, simple as any of that.

That still has an issue with there being too many kids for any given grade to actually fit the class size shown in the show. I do like the commuting idea, though.
4163265 4163367
I like your explanation (although wow, I hadn't realized just how many of the foals in season 4 I didn't recognize at all. I knew it was a sizable number, but that's even more than I imagined)
Most mind boggling--enough so that I have outsourced all of my braining to less easily boggled minds.
Thank you for catching that. I use her name incredibly inconsistently, and am trying to curtail that.

Cold Spike
Group Admin

4164861 It's fine, haha.

4163216 I would think the schools would work as a sort of apprenticeship system, at first thought. The student stays in the public classroom until he/she can pass an assessment that shows they know everything (or nearly) that the teacher can teach. Like your general credits in college.

After that, the foal would get a job working with a pony that does what the student is planning on doing. This is how schooling was done for thousands of years on earth. Since ponyville's tech seems around the 19th century tech level (Trains, hot air baloons) not accounting for magical items, the apprenticeship system could still be in use here, because there's simply no need to change it.

Twilight went to an academy because she lived in a higher wealth area, but even with what we know about Twilight's schooling, she eventually studied under Celestia after a period of public schooling (Magic Kindergarten). Whether or not she was in any other classes during her celestia mentoring is hearsay, but that could very well be apprenticeship in action.

I assume that ponyville has a one classroom and one teacher system, because the town is a lower income agricultural town. Another reason this may be this way is because many children will end up going into agriculture, so they learn from their families primarily. This could explain applebloom's presence, since the Apple family probably wants more options open for her.

It also seems that the class gets out earlier and is held less often than modern human standards. Again, this could be because of agricultural influence, since some of the foals would need to go help on the farm.

There also might be other specialized schools in ponyville that foals go to when they know what they're going into. However, this seems unlikely due to the amount of highly specialized cutie marks present in the classroom.

There's my theories.

A bit late - it's kind of in the name - but I'd like to second the "multiple class" theory, with new evidence not available back when this thread was made. Namely A Flurry of Emotions, in which Twilight's main non-niece-related obligation is a hospital visit to "a whole class" of foals who came down with the horsey hives on school picture day. Said class are depicted both in their photo and in the hospital as a group of eight background ponies - a good match to the nine desks.

But really, i've always held this theory as a way of explaining how Apple Bloom managed to avoid knowing the other Crusaders - Scootaloo may be new to town but Sweetie sure isn't. So my theory from early on was that Apple Bloom and co. were a year or so older and the other two graduated into that age range* the next year. This would also explain why AB tends to be the most invested in the whole cutie mark thing - she's running latest.

*There's no way Cheerilee can teach every year separately. And even splitting her time between, say, three classes would mean that Ponyville kids get a lot of time off - probably something more like a college schedule than what we would think of as a school one.. But then, we hardly see the CMC in school anyway, so i guess it all works out!

For more of my headcanon on Equestrian education and other matters, check out my blog!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10