Life in Manehattan 362 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

Story bases to build off, constructed by a busy college student:
--“Suited for Success” corollary:
Orange Sherbet hires Rarity to design dresses for the rest of the cast for the Grand Galloping Gala. I have no idea what antics might occur from this. The bigger problem related to this story would be laying its groundwork with a –

--“The Ticket Master” corollary:
Twilight, of course, is gifted with two tickets to take a friend to the Grand Galloping Gala. The problem here is that I wouldn't believe Orange would be the sort of pony to go after Twilight like the canon cast did in the episode proper; in fact, she might even have tickets beforehand that she purchased for herself, Mosely, and Tangerine. Octavia would, of course, have been hired for entertainment at the event, leaving her without a reason to harass Twilight. Honey Do is up in the air, leaving only Trixie, who could easily be annoying enough to cause Twilight to not give her a ticket out of spite, and Blossomforth.

--“Dragonshy” corollary:
Blossomforth, as the shy, uncertain pony, would take the lead here when the ponies go to the market and encounter a situation where FOOD ATE PONIES (terrifiedSokka.avi or whatever). Some manner of plant from some exotic locale was smuggled in and ran wild, engulfing Manehatten with foliage nopony else could deal with beyond a plant expert.

--“A Dog and Pony Show”/“Bridle Gossip” corollary:
Unscrupulous Diamond Dogs merchant arrive in the city, setting up shop on the streets to peddle their wares for far more than their worth with copious amounts of smooth-talking and trickery. Meanwhile, petty theft increases overnight though the Dogs don’t necessarily have anything to do with that at all.

--“The Best Night Ever” Manehatten-verse style
No real ideas here. Not much damage can ensue from Blossomforth looking at plants, unless they’re angry, sentient plants. Really, the only pony that might cause any damage would be Trixie and her posturing. Octavia is performing, the Orange family understands the social norms of the Gala, and Honey isn't going to go out of her way to draw attention to herself unless she goes as her “Daring Do” persona (ponysona?).

--“The Return of Harmony”
Some ideas for the Discorded Manehatten cast are:
Orange Sherbet becomes a tight-fisted (hooved?) miser who wants compensation for every little thing somepony asks her;
Honey Do becomes an over-the-top, attention-hungry, dangerously reckless version of her Daring Do ponysona, claiming that Honey was never who she was;
Blossomforth becomes purposefully absentminded, actively going out of her way to let others down;
Trixie becomes dangerously depressed, unfairly self-critical, and apathetic to everything that’s happening;
Octavia becomes cruel and haughty again but with an added sense of violence, causing her to be the most dangerous out of the five.
----------
Un-Discording the cast:
Trixie would probably need to be first, being the most likely to be hurt and by her own hooves, no less. She might not even be affected by the memory spell, needing on-the-fly therapy to undo the psychological torment inflicted by Discord, possibly instilling the idea of Twilight having been able to save Hoofdini. Octavia would probably be last, being able to beat the rest of the cast as long as they are being careful not to hurt her.

I certainly hope I’m not overly intruding; otherwise, I’m so sorry! These are just some ideas I had while floundering on my programming project. I’d like to know what you all think!

Unscrupulous Diamond Dogs merchant arrive in the city, setting up shop on the streets to peddle their wares for far more than their worth with copious amounts of smooth-talking and trickery.

Are you sure this ain't The Super-Speedy Cider-Squeezy 6000?

No real ideas here. Not much damage can ensue from Blossomforth looking at plants, unless they’re angry, sentient plants.

Ya mean like triffids?

Really, the only pony that might cause any damage would be Trixie and her posturing.

Ah'm startin' ta get the feelin' ya don't like Trixie.

Let's not rush ta anythin' on the Gala front. It seems like people wanna do that arc because they think it's necessary, but it really isn't. An' we could have a Gala without devotin' any stories to gettin' the tickets, maybe by havin' the six mention their tickets in another story. Jus' hold on for now. If someone gets a flash a' real inspiration fer a Ticket Master parallel, ah don't wanna be the one ta tell 'em they're too late 'cause someone already did a generic knockoff outta some sense of obligation.

--“The Return of Harmony”

Mah personal thought on this: If Discord turned Ponyville into a Salvador Dali painting, would he turn Manehattan into an Escher?

Honey Do becomes an over-the-top, attention-hungry, dangerously reckless version of her Daring Do ponysona, claiming that Honey was never who she was;

Ah had the thought she might become obsessed with hidin' things, but that's good too.

Some manner of plant from some exotic locale was smuggled in and ran wild, engulfing Manehatten with foliage nopony else could deal with beyond a plant expert.

I totally imagine the plant being Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. Can you imagine that!

Ah'm startin' ta get the feelin' ya don't like Trixie.

Oh, I like Trixie: I'm just not going to pretend that she's not able to get on people's last nerves while seeking attention like Rainbow Dash was in canon.

Are you sure this ain't The Super-Speedy Cider-Squeezy 6000?

Okay, yeah, that's probably a better parallel. I just like how the Diamond Dogs are designed and wanted to introduce them, so their only appearance in "A Dog and Pony Show" was the first episode to come to mind.

Let's not rush ta anythin' on the Gala front. It seems like people wanna do that arc because they think it's necessary, but it really isn't. An' we could have a Gala without devotin' any stories to gettin' the tickets, maybe by havin' the six mention their tickets in another story. Jus' hold on for now. If someone gets a flash a' real inspiration fer a Ticket Master parallel, ah don't wanna be the one ta tell 'em they're too late 'cause someone already did a generic knockoff outta some sense of obligation.

Yeah, I was only thinking about "The Ticket Master" and "The Best Night Ever" because of the first story idea, Orange hiring Rarity for dress designing. And I'm not really sure what that story might entail beyond that!

Let's not rush ta anythin' on the Gala front. It seems like people wanna do that arc because they think it's necessary, but it really isn't.

Given what happened in the Lunaverse with our Gala story, I can confirm that not doing one is sometimes the better option. (Nine months in and that story still starts a flame war whenever anyone brings it up...)

I'm not sure that the lesson learned from the Lunaverse GGG episode was "don't have a Gala Episode" as much as "be careful about how you handle politics in your AU." The political intrigue that is there in the Lunaverse just isn't there in Manehattan yet.

1759331: I think a lot of the problems, though, came from the focus on doing a Gala episode, which necessitated everything to be big and all-encompassing and over the top. If it wasn't for the Gala, the season finale could have just been focused on taking down Greengrass, the main political baddie, instead of taking down EVERYONE. Which in turn indicated that all the politicians in the 'verse are evil, which doesn't say good things about Luna's ability to govern the place. And then it needed to be even bigger and so Trixie extorted Blueblood, and things crashed from there...

The thing about Gala episodes is that they tend to be BIG. Not just season finale big, but encompassing everything big -- all the characters are there, it's set in the halls of power, etc. That can be good, but for a serious story, and a serious villain, it can go out of control. So sometimes it might be better to have a smaller finale episode instead of a Gala one.

One of the things I noticed so far is the Manehatten-Verse so far has a story based on Sherbet (Apples to Oranges), two one Blossomforth (Hurricane Blossomforth and Blossomforth With All Your Might), one on Trixie (Brag You Down), one of Honey 'Daring' Do (Daring Do and the Soluna Stone) and one on Octavia (The DJ-PON3 Party) done and another Blossomforth story (What You Are In The Dark) being made, with a Tangerine story also being made (Tangerine Sashay of Power).

What about Twilight? Or Spike? They don't have any stories centered on them yet, although you can argue the story that started this Verse (The Wrong Place At The Right Time) is Twilight centered, but still...

For that matter, what about Celestia? She doesn't really get a lot of screen time in the show either and Luna had an episode for herself.

Just a thought.

Not much damage can ensue from Blossomforth looking at plants, unless they’re angry, sentient plants.

A Venus Fly Trap bites her, she smells a skunk cabbage (yes, that's a thing), perhaps coming across a Titan Arum (AKA, a Corpse Flower), a coconut falls on head, flowers that shoot barbs (like in Jumanji), a "Devil's Snare" type plant (although the Lunaverse already used that idea once)...actually, that may make for a good way to act as the peak of her trouble. Rather than running in while chasing animals, Blossomforth would call out in pain/frustration, attracting attention to herself as she's too frustrated to think strait enough to calm down, but in pain because of how the vines are squeezing her.

That might actually make for some character development for her. After showing off to the public that she's Daring Do (including the cutie mark), it'd be hard for her to convince Manehatten that she's not Daring Do. So instead, she may have to cope by accepting that side of her.

Trixie would probably need to be first, being the most likely to be hurt and by her own hooves, no less. She might not even be affected by the memory spell, needing on-the-fly therapy to undo the psychological torment inflicted by Discord, possibly instilling the idea of Twilight having been able to save Hoofdini.

Considering the family she grew up in, Discord could just be bringing out what's already there. But rather than hopeful optimism keeping her positive, she's just lost all hope. So despite being the first to be "Un-Discorded", she'd probably be the last to get over it. Perhaps this could be better shown in the next story in the series afterwords.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10