Miss Harshwhinny is Best Pony 397 members · 94 stories
Comments ( 48 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 48
Skywriter
Group Admin

Short and simple, people. This is a petition for the removal of stories involving elevators from the group. Why? For one they make the group as a whole look bad by association. We live in a culture that glamorizes elevator use when everyone knows that taking the stairs is much healthier. Allowing these fics in the group can be seen as acceptance of this heart-unhealthy lifestyle choice.

Second, despite the fact that being trapped in an elevator is an intensely traumatizing experience, being trapped in an elevator is used in fanfiction by authors who sadly lack the skill to use it well from a storytelling perspective. All too often authors try and use it as a writing device for cheap romantic connection. Even more unfortunately there are times when authors sometimes try to excuse the story by having the people trapped in the elevator actually start to like it. This is completely unacceptable. If the writer loses the courage to continue to write a trapped-in-an-elevator fic, the story needs to stop because all too often, they try to turn the story into a romance. Why is this bad? Because the people responsible for elevator maintenance are never mentioned or are forced to pay the price for their neglect. Being trapped in an elevator has consequences! For the people trapped in the elevator and for the facilities management department of the building they were in!

Third, implicit support of extremely unhealthy behavior. Obesity is a very real issue and a very easy way to combat obesity is to encourage stair use. A group dedicated to a fitness-supporting pony is no place for scenes involving elevators (when stairs are explicitly provided as a viable alternative.)

Finally, there is nothing romantic about being trapped in an elevator because it's not actual love. It's an abhorrent combination of emergent situations and claustrophobia, and there is nothing healthy about it either. In a group that's supposed to be about Ms. Harshwhinny and physical fitness, an act this unhealthy is about as far from the group's message as you can get.

Again, I am not saying we can't have stories featuring unhealthy behavior, but "elevators" is one story element that MHiBP would do well to avoid like the plague.

Sign your posts if you agree.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Agreed. MHiBP should shine out like a bacon of hope and good lifestyle choices.

Skywriter
Group Admin

a bacon of hope

I'm not going to weigh in on this point except for to say that this is the best typo ever.

Skywriter
Group Admin

These are fictional stories, Sky. Look, I think everyone is in agreement that actually being trapped in an elevator would suck chimney, but if you can't let people play with their romanticized fantasies it's not going to make the problem any better. I don't mind creating a separate folder for stories involving elevators but I'd rather not see them banned entirely.

Skywriter
Group Admin

The point the OP was making was not specifically in support of stopping people from writing the stories. I think what the OP was trying to say was that they should be posted in elevator-related groups. I took a quick glance at "Elevator Stories" and there was most definitely a Ms. Harshwhinny folder there. Why not post Harshwhinny-related elevator stories in that group where it won't tarnish the reputation of our community here?

Skywriter
Group Admin

The point the OP was making was not specifically in support of stopping people from writing the stories

Uh, Sky? Did you read the post? When you start bandying about words like "abhorrent" it kinda sounds like the OP wants people to stop writing the stories.

Skywriter
Group Admin

HOLY CRAP SKYWRITER I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WHEN EVERYONE DIES OF CORONARY BLOCKAGE BECAUSE OF YOU SPECIFICALLY.

Third, implicit support of extremely unhealthy behavior. Obesity is a very real issue and a very easy way to combat obesity is to encourage stair use. A group dedicated to a fitness-supporting pony is no place for scenes involving elevators (when stairs are explicitly provided as a viable alternative.)

*snicker*

Skywriter
Group Admin

I don't mind stories involving poor elevator maintenance if everyone involved in the poor maintenance is appropriately punished afterwards.

With little whips.

While I watch.

What are you even doing? :rainbowhuh:

Skywriter
Group Admin

Addressing a very real problem.

Skywriter
Group Admin

2316045, 2316045
I... think he means, why did you start a thread that has nothing to do with Ms. Harshwhinny and then proceed to reply to yourself over and over again.

Skywriter
Group Admin

2316077, 2316045
Oh. Right. Well... MHiBP was, at its genesis, a satirical forum meant to gently kid the fandom for its tendency to embrace trivial characters with wild abandon. The joke was that I was going to start a forum all by myself and populate it with all my own posts, where I would play all the parts of the fandom simultaneously. Ergo, flaming myself, agreeing with myself, posting off-topic rants that had nothing to do with the threads that I created, that sort of thing.

In recent days, there seems to have been an influx of genuine appreciation for Ms. Harshwhinny as a character. I am more than willing to have this forum also be a place for actual celebration of the character, because hey, it's all good. But I will occasionally end up posting something that looks more like something out of the old days of the forum, because it amuses me more than it ought to.

Skywriter
Group Admin

You know who else broke character and tried to post a lucid explanation for his behavior in the middle of a parody thread? HITLER.

Hold on a second, I need to look up the meanings of the words "elevator," "chimney," and "bacon" in my Skywriter-to-English dictionary...

:pinkiegasp: Skywriter really meant--!

*slap*

We're going to have to kill Skywriter before he rises to power and leads FiMFiction on a fascist conquest of the internet.

It's funny 'cuz it's true...

being trapped in an elevator is used in fanfiction by authors who sadly lack the skill to use it well from a storytelling perspective

Such an over generalization. I have read tons of 'vator fics where a broken elevator is handled properly and seriously as a story telling device.

Why would we want to stop that?

I simply cannot support a blanket ban like this. While it is true that too many authors are guilty of the very things OP said they are, the fact is, a total ban of elevator stories would, A) punish those authors who can and do use it well, and B) would remove those stories that portray elevators in a realistic and emotionally powerful way. :unsuresweetie:

horizon
Group Contributor

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. You are incorrect in not just every conceivable manner, but in every manner it is possible to conceive of conceiving. I am ashamed to have been born in the same universe as you. You are worse than ten thousand Peachbottoms.

Skywriter never mentioned a ban on blankets. THIS IS THE THREAD ABOUT BANNING ELEVATORS.

Comment posted by El Dante deleted Dec 5th, 2013

Oh shit, my bad! :derpyderp2:
Freaking autocorrect!

Dude, don't blame autocorrect for what is a blatant mistake on your part. :trixieshiftright:
--D!Blue

horizon
Group Contributor

You are all parts of the Harshwhinny fandom. The rest of us are merely meta-fans. Some of us just meta-fan so hard that it wraps around into confused sincerity.

2316110 2316563 2316863

I will proudly sign my post in support of this ban, in hopes that it leads authors to write stories set in phone booths instead. I fully predict phone booths to become canon once (spoiler!) this season's superhero episode, which is set in Maretropolis, goes live. We should encourage everyone to get ahead of the curve!

– Horzion

horizon
Group Contributor

2317824 2317843
Yay, you signed your post! That makes three people supporting the ban on stories set in elevators!

- horizon

Edit: Now four!

2317861 Edit, again: You're right. Five!
2317871 2317872 2317873 2317875 2317881 Edit x3 combo: Ten! (assuming you're all from different alternate universes or timelines or something, because that's easier than trying to count duplicates differently)

horizon
Group Contributor

Don't forget that Hitler signed his post too, back at 2316110.

I REALLY hate elevator fics. :twilightangry2:
--A!Blue

2317875>>2317881
You both make me very sad. :pinkiesad2:

2316110 No he didn't.

Um, I'd like to petition for the removal of threads involving petitions for purging things from the group. I feel that they needlessly distract members from the important things, such as reveling in all things Harshwhinny at this time of year (Harshmas, Harshukkah, Kwanzhaarsh, Harshivus, etc.).

If that's all right with you, that is. :fluttershysad:

Does this mean that you want bacon-related threads removed from the forum as well? Because I :heart: bacon.

Only if it's a thread petitioning for the removal of bacon-related threads.

Great. Fourteen posts in, and we're already having to invoke Godwin's Law. You are sick, Skywriter, sick, sick, SICK.

2315975>>2318147>>2317884>>2316110
......Da fuck is going on here?!:trixieshiftleft::unsuresweetie::rainbowhuh:

Regarding ban:

Join the madness. You'll enjoy it. I promise. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:
--A!Blue

Flee! Flee for you life!
--D!Blue

Skywriter
Group Admin

We are, of course, absolutely super-duper serious about everything we say in this parody forum. Even the parts about the mating habits of dinosaurs. Hell, especially the parts about the mating habits of dinosaurs. Dinosaurs having the sexs is serious business.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Anthro HW's kinda let herself go, hasn't she?

....I don't know what to say to that.:twilightoops:

horizon
Group Contributor

2321601 2321902
Is someone going to have to create a "Greatest Hits" thread with links back to all the highlights?

The mating habits of dinosaurs were discussed, with all the solemnity and dignity such a weighty topic deserves, back in the sexs education thread.

No no no you guys don't get it! My elevatorcorn OC is totally different from all the other ones out there! He has a tragic backstory and everything!

Skywriter
Group Admin

Do you have some fan art of your elevatorcorn that you could share?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 48