Interspecies Romance 647 members · 683 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
Robipony
Group Admin

So I am working on a romance story with a mare and a diamond dog deity. The thing I want to ask is how do I make them fall in love aside from the "you saved me" trope?

Like it's hard to see what common ground they might have, considering that one is a pony and the other is a wolf deity.

Any suggestions?

People write Sparity pretty effortlessly, don't they?
Just treat it like that.

Robipony
Group Admin

6433879 Yes, but most of the ones that do it effortlessly... aren't that good (no offense). I want to put effort into my writing because I believe it shows (despite how few views I get).

What's the context of the deity even being there? That's the first place to look for a connection. The second is the concept of a sliding scale of feature attraction. In worlds with multiple sapient species its entirely possible to think that there are multiple modes and scalesmof attraction. Its possible for a pony to be genuinnely attracted to the Diamond Dog form, and especially a literal godly looking one.

Give the pony diamond dog fetish. Or have them become friends first (you can make that happen off screen and start at the point it moves into relationship zone). Or have the pony be devout follower for some reason. Or make them be raised by diamond dogs, so it's more normal like dog ascetics. You can also do shape shifting into pony, before going back to the true dog form or something cheesy like that.

You can also go for the romantic comedy style misunderstanding when the pony accidentally preforms a courtship ritual to a lonely dog god who no one dares to court or something.

Really depends on what kind of personality you give them, and what would be in character.

When I say effortlessly, I mean it just treats interspecies as a taboo of Equestria.
It's really not hard. What more can you do?

Robipony
Group Admin

6434185 Okay that makes more sense. :rainbowlaugh:

Robipony
Group Admin

6434163 Well, aside from the fact that I wanted to write a story where a pegasus falls in love with a wolf that ends up being revealed to be a deity of some sort, I'm not terribly sure what you mean by context.

The question I'm trying to ask (I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, sorry:applecry:) is how can I write a story about them falling in love (because it is kind of brought up with flashbacks) without doing the whole cliche: he saved me and took care of me, therefore I love him. I can see where a deity might find a mortal fascinating (just read mythical stories of gods falling in love with mortals) but what's another way a pony might find a wolf interesting?

You can also go for the romantic comedy style misunderstanding when the pony accidentally preforms a courtship ritual to a lonely dog god who no one dares to court or something.

That could be interesting. I'm not sure how I would write that (might have to do some research on courtship rituals) but that could be really interesting. :pinkiesmile:

Well, I am sort of trying to do a "lesson on forgiveness" as well with the story, in it the mare has been emotionally harmed by another pony they used to be friends with, the deity has been watching for centuries as the diamond dogs (who used to roam Equestria before the unification of the three pony tribes) were forced underground and now that he has been able to successfully materialize in the physical world he seeks to avenge them, then there is Rarity who has to learn to forgive the diamond dogs that kidnapped her a year (the events of the episode, A Dog and Pony Show), and then Rainbow Dash who blames herself for the mare's disappearance.

And before anyone says anything, no, this has nothing to do with all those people saying forgive ToonKritic, that guy is a jerk.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8