Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

This is the best group for constructive comments, so I thought I would introduce an idea that I have had. Feel free to give me your feedback, whether positive or negative, without it I would not be able to get a good feel on whether this would work or not.

In the spirit of Authors Helping Authors, I was thinking about making a weekly journal entry on my user page highlighting a story that I found and reviewed. I would clearly mark that these stories were gathered from submissions to the group, and encourage others to look at what this group has to offer. This would allow authors that deserve more attention to receive it, the posts would not clutter up the group's threads, and it would help get the name of the group out to more people. If we all do this, I can see the group growing by leaps and bounds. The more of us there are, the more reviews, and the better we all become at writing.

I feel that is only just that I spread the word about Authors Helping Authors as best I can. The members of this group have helped me as a writer more than any other group or individual in my life, and I want this little project to repay some of that kindness.

Thanks ahead of time.

EDIT: No, I would not post any reviews on my journal, just briefly mention the story and it's author so that the story could get a little better known. I would note why I liked it, but nothing much more than a sentence. I don't want to post a review for the entries, the author of the story might not like that at all, and I can see why. I will just mention the story, give a brief blurb about the plot, and that's about it.

For example of what I will be posting, click here.

Best. Idea. EVER! :pinkiehappy:

Count me in!

I guess that could work.

But if there was a Second Feature Box. Or a Second Feature Box group, where most if not all the members of the site join, where story are featured at random regardless or likes or dislikes, it could help lesser known writers (Like Me XD) become more well known.

But then again, there are groups here that show the best fan fictions on this site.

956054 I like that idea!!! You should doo it!!

It depends on criteria. How do you decide which fics you read?

I've noticed that I read a lot fewer these days. I really need to get back out there. :twilightoops:

956054 really good idea. Perhaps we can create another small group to do something like this

I'd be up for this, I do enjoy the small nuggets of gold out there more then the large chunks of fools gold so highly praised.

Great Idea, I might even take my time and write a careful review of what have been seen until now in the story...

We have to do this!

it is all in the application of the idea that matters. Ideas both good and bad have worked when properly implemented!

I'm not sure anyone would ever notice, but I'll start doing so

956124 I don't have a criteria, per say, when I'm choosing a story. I have read anything from comedy to horror, and enjoyed it all. If a story seems interesting, I jump on it. I tend to try to look at stories that do not have that many views or up votes a bit more. That allows me to help authors that need a little extra boost with a story. Some of my top favorites have been found that way, and they did not come from well known authors.

I'm sure there will be some personal bias, it goes with the territory when it comes to these things. Having said that, I do not let things like "I don't want Big Mac and Rarity shipped together" or "alicorn Twilight stories all stink" kind of notions get in my way of reading a good story. I have read a ton of fiction on this site. The quality of which is all over the place: some stories were good, some great, some horrible, but I have kept an open mind about whatever I read before making a decision on the merits. I realize there will be bias for each person doing this, but if a lot of us start our own highlight posts I'm sure the whole gambit of stories will get a good bit of coverage.

Interesting idea, very generous of you. i dont have any fucking time to read ever, but would love my story to be reviewed

ALSO, I want to warn you about popular fics,

STAY
AWAY!

Many people start this idea that they should review and feature a story, but all they eventually turn into is a bitchy fight between the viewers and and the reviewer taking cheap shots at fics and authors they don't like and talking about why the suck so much. (in short, trolling).

My key example is InsertAuthorHere. when he started, it was a good idea, he analyzed fics that were lesser known, but then he started to go onto popular fics, both that he liked and did not. Past Sins, Cross and an Arrow, Jumping shark street (a story by that Chayotance bitch form TCB in short he went more after her than her work) Lunaverse Stories, Rainbooms and Royalty and cupcakes.

Granted, he started with why they were good and whatever, but it REALLy always boiled down to him ripping on why they suck and kind of becoming a troll.

So, in short, try to stray far away from popular stories if you do this. stick to lesser known works or a random story (by random i mean like my own.) and let THEM become popular. you dont need to boost an ego.

960528 Trust me, that is exactly what I want to avoid. These will not be review posts, just little suggestions of stories to anyone reading my journals. There would be very little actually written about the story at all. I was thinking about just posting the tile, a link, and a brief description of the story. Nothing more, nothing less. No reviews, no bashing, no analysis, nothing of the sort. Short, brief, and friendly. I have enough drama in my life, I don't need to add any more.

That sounds like a good idea to me!

This sounds like a great idea! I would love to get my story reviewed, if you go through with it!

What a wonderful, and glorious idea! If I may ask, would you mind if some of us start trying this out as well? Of course I'll wait for you to start and see how it goes, but Ill like to try it out along with you.:twilightsmile:

vren55
Group Admin

956054 Forum posts like these make me so proud as founder :pinkiehappy:

965726 By all means, post away! That is why I posted my idea here, I wanted as many people to look this idea over and do the same if they wanted. The more the merrier. I have posted a little blurb for one of YayFlutter's stories and have not gotten any responses. However, if even one more person reads the story and gives feedback on it I will feel that the experiment was a success.

965781 Whoa! I was not expecting a post from the founder of the group. Thank you for giving this idea your seal of approval. It means a lot. I am not kidding or adding hyperbole when I say that this group has helped my writing more than anything or anyone else. With each review I get, I improve my writing skills and meet all kinds of wonderful authors that I would not have been able to interact with otherwise. I enjoy participating in this group, and would love to see it grow.

I wonder: can folks see the date on which a story is submitted to the group?

Because here is my idea: use a random number generator to pick the stories you read and subsequently highlight, and to do it by month of submission, whichever past month you choose.

You can use this: http://www.random.org/sequences/

How it works is that you enter the number of stories submitted in the month you want to take a look at as a range of data. Choose one column so you have a nice list. Then hit go. If you don't like the fic you're looking at, hit "Again!" to make a new column, with (hopefully) a different beginning number.

For example, let's say in February 2012 there were 53 fics submitted to the group. The range of data would be 1 to 53. Make sure you use one column. Then, if, say, the number 10 is first, then the tenth fic submitted that month would be what you look at.

Randomness makes everything more interesting :moustache:

I appreciate what you're doing here, getting exposure not just to the fics submitted to the group, but to the group itself. However, I do feel that some form of constructive reviewing is half the point of the group. I understand that critiquing is not the point of your endeavors, and I respect that. However, if/when you follow through with this, I will make a similar pledge: whatever story you bring attention to, I will also critique it according to the format this group employs. If you've already started, then I have some catching up to do :twilightblush:

Let's get this started!

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21