Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

The way I see it, there are three kinds of leaders. Reluctant leaders, folks who lead without realizing it, and folks who like leading. Twilight Sparkle has taken charge numerous times in the show, but I'm not sure which category she would fit into. My questions are as follows.

1. Does she actively try to take the lead, or does it just happen without her thinking about it?

2. If someone else were to try and take the lead, would she back down or start a contest of wills?

3. Would she be glad to give the reins to someone else, resentful, or apathetic?

Personally, I'm leaning towards subconcious leader who doesn't care who's in charge so long as the job gets done, but I'm interested in hearing your take on it.

I think Twilight is the type that unconsciously lead the others, but if she feels there's another pony who suit the leadership role more, she'll gladly give the reins.

That's just my opinion though. :twilightsheepish:

I'm thinking that you're correct. It doesn't usually seem like she actively tries to take the role of leader, just that she can connect the dots earlier than others and figure out how to correct whatever problem they're facing.

It all depends on the situation, honestly. If Twilight is out of her league in a certain conflict, I don't think she'd have a problem with, say, Rainbow Dash or Applejack taking control and leading the group.

It would be the subconscious leader.

910396 I don't think being a leader is something she does consciously. I think she has a very problem-solving sort of personality, so taking charge just comes naturally in some ways. (Also, her gift for organization kind of propels her into a leadership role sometimes.)

I think she would be happy to let someone else take the reins, kind of how she let Pinkie do her detective thing on the Friendship Express... until it was obvious that Pinkie wasn't getting anywhere. She isn't the type to sit back and say nothing when someone else's leadership isn't getting the job done.

I think of Twilight as a natural leader, someone who doesn't really actively seek the position (and in fact was unaware of her gift for it for the greater part of her life, since she didn't have any friends to lead), but when a crisis comes, or there's a job to do, she steps up.:twilightsmile:

It really comes down to the situation she's in. For example, during the 'Nightmare Moon' arc, she's initially reluctant to take on her role, only doing it because it was the right thing to do, before gradually settling in and accepting her position as the Element of Magic.

Two seasons later, during the 'Canterlot Wedding' arc, she attempts to take charge as soon as she sees something amiss, and tries to resolve the mystery regarding Cadance out of a sense of urgency.

So, from what I've seen, I'd personally place her as someone who simply stepped up to the plate when the situation called for it. :applejackunsure:

Regarding the different kinds of leaders, I'mma just drop this here and let it speak for itself. (Warning: Lots of spoilers for Austraeoh within)

I think Twilight leads without realizing it, but I also think that if someone else was trying to lead she would give her own opinions if she thought the other was wrong. :twilightsmile:

910396 I've always regarded Twilight as the unconscious and default leader. Of the Mane 6, who'd be the logical other? Rainbow Dash is too brash and impulsive to be an inspiring presence. Rarity is a nice person but too prissy and high-strung to really lead. Applejack is close but her pride can get in the way of her really leading anyone--leaders have to be able to give up some inches to gain yards and Applejack wouldn't. Pinkie is batshit crazy and not even her closest friends could take her seriously enough to do as she tells them. As if it needed to be said, Fluttershy is so quiet and retiring and reluctant to stand up for herself that she couldn't lead a horse to water (ba-dah bing!). As much as she suffers from nervous panic attacks and gets twitchy when her order gets disrupted, Twilight radiates a sense of "I know exactly what to do" even when she doesn't and has enough practicality to think of how to accomplish something realistically. She can also lead from the front because she's powerful and everyone who might follow her knows it. But honestly, I don't think any of this ever occurs to her; she just goes to find a solution, finds it, and wanders in to offer it to everyone else and everyone else more or less shrugs and follows along because she's the mare with the plan. Being the mare with the plan gives you some powerful leader magnetism.

I see Twilight as the conscious leader type as she is well aware of her critical importance as the Element ofMagic. However on that note, she is not unwilling to allow others to take command if they are suited to the roll, as can be seen with Rainbow Dash in Games Ponies Play.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10