Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 106 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 106

Make me a sammich, Beeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaatttttcccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhh.

My two cents:

1) Do not use any earth-based physics or astronomy to make arguments about Equestria. The only thing we know about the Sun in Equestria is that it moves by MAGIC. Not gravity, not inertia, magic. All physics are null.

2) Tyrant Celestia is waaaay OOC. A writer would have to work really hard to get me to buy into that concept.

3) There's no point where I assumed that the NLR would actually be a textbook-definition republic. (with voting and stuff) I've never read a NLR story but I always assumed it was like the People's Democratic Republic of Korea (North Korea).

4)CANON! Not cannon.

871134 to address point four, I say head cannon because I'm shooting facts with it( it is a intentional misspelling on my part to reference a amazing comedian, see circle jerking)! To address point 3, no one ever claimed the NLR was a true pure republic, I personally would assume it is a republic style ( proper term is republican but that carries misleading conotations for the uneducated) constitutional monarchy.
To address point two, again see my NLR Alternate Universe policy.
And I believe point one to be just fine

871217 Are facts being shot out of your cannon, or being hit with projectiles from your cannon?

871225 shot from. why would I shoot down facts? That would be a very weird metaphor.

871217 That is very close to how I see it.

871980 cool to know my opinions aren't too extreme from the norm. Not that I would change them without a convincing argument.
870224 You sir now hold my contempt for this statement! Rather then create a valid point you insult and attempt to demean a honest question. Calling something bumpkiss in a dismissive fashion, isn't polite or very intelegent. If you belive it to be a pointless or silly disscussion there are polite and mature ways of saying so.

872026 Just let it go, man. There was maybe a better way to put it, but that doesn't make him... wrong.

Basically we're just arguing over what-ifs and could-bes. there's really no right answer. I just wanted to see what people's opinions were and what stories they liked.

870391 Abraham Lincoln was one of the most radical thinkers of his time. It takes radical people to make radical change. And, let's face it, we should be just a tad more worried about the massive sucking chest wound in our economy than a couple women who have some beliefs you don't agree with.

872031 I never said he was false silly pony! I very much agree that this conversation has too many what if's and could's, though I've tried to avoid them. I find them detrimental to a argument. That on the other hand is not a invalidization of the question! It is a invalidization of a argument.

I did say he was being rude, uncouth, and immature. He might have a valid idea; he just has't made a valid argument yet. Which is foalish considering his opinion would be quite easy to make politely and convincingly.

872058 Well, as this coversation has degraded into one guy insulting a social group I have no quarrel with and the others just... dragging on... I think It's time to move along.

871225>>870617>>870391>>870336>>869761>>870213
What are some stories featuring these factions or something similar that you think are particularly well written (Even if you don't agree with them?)
I personally like This piece. It's got an interesting sort of satire. Not really NLR of SE, but it follows along the "Tyrantlestia" idea while holding onto some lightheartedness.

I also like this AU. It's a switch-around of Luna and Celestia's roles. Whereas, Celestia's the one who went bonkers and Luna banished her to the Sun with the Elements.

But yeah, I'd be more worried about the wars they'll start in our name and the impending financial troubles.

Now that that's done, let's move along.

I dont read any of that shit because its pretty baised, im just talking in general about the NLR fanboys who are as obnoxious as Lions/ University of Michigan fans. who adress the issue without logic or much reason.

In reality, if Celestia was a sole ruler (NOT TYRANT) i bet Equestria would be a nice place to live, people assume that she has the mindset of a normal person, in reality, lets look at it differently, she could have lived for many million years previously (my HC, but still open your mind) and as the two watched the civilizations walk out from the ocean she understood that they needed to be guided/have a benefactor. Even though that may sound opressive, it doesent mean it is. She could be an incredibly selfless being who can devote her immortal life to serving, and has gained more knowledge than concieveable by mortal minds through years of practice.

I seriously think you might like an upcoming chapter in my story. It'll do a lot to humanize Celestia and explain why she's done what she's doing. I really intend for her to be more of a sympathetic character than an evil villain.

And you're missing out. there are a lot of great writers who do NLR stuff. I read some of the "Luna's bad" stuff, as well as the "Celestia is the benevolent ruler" stuff. I find tou don't necesarraly have to agree with the author to enjoy a well-written story.

Am I making any sense?

Oh gawd the Lunaverse. Don't get me started

Also i dont read the NLR vs Se fics because i know ill just be setting off a spark in a powderkeg.

872196 Alright then.
I won't take offense, but merely go into the corner and cry. :fluttercry:
:rainbowwild:

872191 :yay: So any particular ones?

Depending on what you feelings are RDD may in fact agree with you. The latest one so far done pretty well in my book

872270 Nice. LOGIC PREVAILS OVER MINDLESS MASSES!

I'm one of the wierd ones that doesn't even really get along with the members of my own fandom. :pinkiecrazy:

I may have enjoyed the Lunaverse.... except for many shit stops that are just godawful.
1. I dont like the new elements, especially trixie. she's a little egotisitical bitch who reminds me of someone i knew in highschool.
2. I dont understand why the old elements are all douchebags now. there is no logical explanation for it, why cant a few still be honest, or generous, or loyal?
3. The bad guys are so paper thin that their mentality is just "I just woke up, what evil deeds can i do today?"
4. multiple authors writing what they want causes WAY too much confusion, also the NLR using it to take pot shots at Celestia (even though Celestia's explination is well done and reasonable..even though not making much sense for her banishment. they butchered her). Also, why is she "Corona?" Nightmare Celestia was Solar Flare I thought?
5. Luna's role is just an "Im not evil!", trying to pump personality into Luna that doesent work, which brings me back to my hypothesis that "if you want to become popular in MLP, Slap Luna onto it." Rainbow Double Dash tried to reason with me that "no, Luna does not do everything right". which all i have to ask is why hasnt Equestria burned to the ground? in that dreaded Gala story, we go on and on about a corrupt court who has no intention to serve its people, and at the head of it an incompetitent leader who dosent do much. All Ill say is "Woona, save me from your followers!"
To be honest i really believe that the Lunaverse spiraled out of control, becoming too big and people either loving it or hating it. It's one of the reasons why I seriously wish InsertAuthorHere would just delete his blog, not because Im one of the two guys he's helping write, but also because with it, his personal shit, and now people starting to stab him in the back, he needs to cut the dead weight, and whats keeping him down is the damned blog.

That comment was not part of the debate over NLR vs. SE, validity. I was merely stating that you had gained my dislike because of that comment. Bumpkiss is just a fancy word for Bullshit after all.

Also... What part of AU do you not get? None of the decent SE or NLR artwork I have seen would ever exist in the standard canon. When is the last time you saw (space/jet) fighters and giant spaceships around Canterlot in the show? No part of this debate should be centered around the main show at all...

You know what? I would write my own NLR fanfic, if I was any good at regular story flow. It would be centered not around the standard dynamic of good Celestia versus evil Luna (or vice versa), but around the conflict of the wise benign despot (who rules with a iron hoof), and The new (highly inexperienced and naive) leader of a reformist revolution. loyal prosperous slaves versus free liberty loving mob. I'm not going to write that, because I am absolutely horrible at maintaining story flow, and things get confusing. That is why I write a story about a amnesiac child instead.:trollestia:

I think Mr. Hood's point is pretty clear: AU's can be very interesting, but things need to be kept in perspective. A lot of NLR/SE people don't do that, hence the animosity.

872544 Ohh and BTW Germany's defeat was hardly set in stone. The idiocy behind operation Barbarossa doomed a large portion of his forces and trapped them in the frozen wastes of Russia. It is quite likely he could have crushed the rest of Europe had he his full forces.

. I personally think around the idea of the multiverse. Everything we can think of ever exsisting ,ever, makes up just a minute infintismal part of all that could be. As such any work of fiction ( bad or good) exsists somewhere in the multiverse. Every story is but a glimpse into another realm of reality. Any nexus of stories and ideas, is a pantheon of windows into possibility. Some of them are just really dirty windows.

872544 ohh and if this is all Bullshit, then I like bull shit.
Under your definition of Bullshit, then a vast majority of fiction is bullshit. So is poe's Raven bullshit? What of King Arthur's Yankee? Or what about owl's companions and Dragon's brothers?

I thought putting it in clearer terms would make it obvious to him. Unfortunately, given his most recent post (this one: 872656), I don't think it helped.

872653 Hitler planned to take over the world did he not? That did not happen either
P. If he had waited till Western Europe was fully in his control and contributing as conquered territories, could he have taken Russia with good timing and Generals? Yes. It would be hard and unlikely, but hardly impossible.

The reason I find you contemptable is that you attack the question rather then any out of perspective arguments. I got tired of people doing this then you did it. Thus I responded to your comment.

Okay let's stop for a moment here, and post a comment that is not in reaction to a previous one, and just state our views. I've been awake since 4:30 am it is now 5:08 pm
I think that the idea of the conflict between the Wise benevolent despot Celestia, and the revolutionary inexperienced Luna would make a excellent story with interesting ideas if written right. I also believe that AU is the format it would be in, and that it would be cool. I also believe that the word "bullshit" is derogatory and meant to demean or insult. I believe that the original question of the thread is valid, and that any bullshit that arises would be in the answers given. I think you said that the argument was speculative, and thus bullshit. While I said that it being speculative makes nothing bullshit. I also think we operate in a multiverse.

872664>>872560

872731 what part of dissasociative personality disorder didn't you get?

872884 ohh umm ... Goodbye!

872985okay! Tell viking that he needs a better profile picture when he gets back! Valk out! Wa

872985wait viking is a she! I know this is confusing, but tell HER she needs a new profile picture. She is embarresing us.

873041 Hey I can link pictures to! Have a derp!

873192 There is a fine line between funny and stupid. I think you crossed it about five posts ago, man.

873365 what? Crossed what?! Am I in trouble?

I'm out.
It's not funny, man.

873380 what's not funny?! Tell me!

873380 *sniff* your mean! I'm telling Viking what a meanie you are when she gets her computer back!

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 106