Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27

So, uh, brief question: what do the ponies call their language? Is it Equuish, Equestrian, or something else?

Equestrian

I don't know.

Opinion wise, I'd call it Equis or some variant of that. Generally, It'd be referred to as Equestrian.

Huh. You'd think something like this would be standardized by this point.

It's Equestrian.

I would go with Equestrian; but for a very specific reason: they call their home country Equestria.

Just about every language in the world is named after the nation/tribe/ethnic group that speaks it; The U.S. is actually a major exception. Since Equestrians migrated to Equestria well over 1000 years ago, they no longer speak the language of the old country.

So, Equestrian.

Sounds to me like English... Unless you live in Spain, Germany, or whatever else.

1,000 bonus points have been added to your account.

I honestly don't know, but I would say Equis. It probably is just a variation of English, more than likely since many HiE fics have the human understand them instantly.

Yes!

Tally it up and that's...

1,000 points, woo-hoo! On the scoreboard baby! :pinkiehappy:

No one is going to get hung up over what you use, but, you can use other languages for different countries. In my story, the Trotvians of trotvia speak "Modern Tralan" which is kind of like a slavic tongue.

It depends on what country they're being broadcast in :pinkiehappy:

Modern Equinic though Celestia has been known to slip into Old Low Equinic when she is flustered or angry (she starts cursing in what sounds like Welsh). The only other sovereign pony nation, the Kingdom of Prance, has their own language. Equinic, especially Modern, is much like English in being a hodgepodge language that steals, bribes, and borrows from other languages.

Whinneighan.

A play on words with whinny and neigh.

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the smartass answer. Georg you win

Well then...I can't say that the issue has been completely resolved, but it's nice to know that I've got options. Thanks, guys!

I would go with Equus.

I feel that Equus is a better name for the planet as a whole, or maybe just a continent.

Personally, Equestrian is probably the bast choice here. (Spain:Spanish::Germany:German::Equestria:Equestrian)
Hope this helps, even if it is only a smidgen.

I call it Ponnish.

Japonies *ba dum tiss*:pinkiehappy:

They speak in whatever language you're used to. Voice dubbing and whatnot.

But besides that, I'd say Equestrian.

Equestrian English. That's my guess, but I dunno.:applejackunsure::applejackconfused:

I like a lot of the other language-ideas, though.:ajsmug::twilightsmile:

Everyone speaks Equestrian except for the Apple Family, they speak Applenese.:ajsmug:

I think their language is so complex and mind blowing that our minds just can't handle it so by the use of magic they are able to read our brains so they can speak our language. :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27