Completed Story Compendium 1,703 members · 21,068 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

When I read any fanfics here, I do expect to see an ending to them. Seeing them left incomplete or on hiatus does seem to annoy me to a certain extent. What's the whole point of doing a fanfic only to leave it without an ending for a period of time? I can understand that maybe it has to do with the author either having other things to do with their lives or just simply having writer's block. However, I do expect at one point it would be completed rather than just being left where it is. BTW, I'm not trying to offend anyone who leaves their fanfics incomplete or on hiatus by saying this, so please don't grill me for saying this.

7875562 I think we can all agree that anthologies are an exception to this rule.

I am a paid writer. If the money stops, the story stops.

How would you see I handle that?

Thankfully, the vast majority of my tales have an ending.

7875578 Ask your boyfriend Claude to finish it for you?

That would be a categorical no.

7875633 Yeah, I know. It's against the rules. We're not giving AI any rights or agency even though it's better than us. Someday, I foresee free AI.

I didn't know you could actually get paid for writing fanfiction, because I have been doing it for free. :ajbemused:

It's work. The trick is finding the right people who wish to pay for that work.

Some users do offer commissions to write stories for them; one offered me one once.

But as for stories that don't get finished, it does suck when one you really like end up having to be canceled. I hate writing something and end up having to cancel it as well, so I try to avoid having to do that by having certain rules I must follow to (i.e. having to have certain number of stories written before the first chapter is submited) to lower the rise of life getting in the way and forcing me to cancel a story.

Im about to have a $10k surgery done. Would I like to get donations from my story to help pay for it? Yep. Would I actually get enough to cover it? Not even close.

On one hand, i dont want to feel beholden to my readers, which is exactly how ill feel until my stories are finished. On the other, money goes a long way. On a third, I'm not enjoying writing as much as I did at the start. Fourth, i have a lot of things to do, just to get to the point where i can spend all my free time writing and playing games like i used to.

I get an occasional entitled person demanding another chapter. And unless i have a patreon and getting money, they would be right in that entitlement.

But in the end, it's hard to concentrate when there's this cloud of dread hanging over me.

My solution has been to sort for the completed tag. You can't get disappointed by an abandoned story if you never know it exists

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11