The Unity Games 103 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 269 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 269
Razorbeam
Group Admin

1) Fair point, but half of this is figuring out what you can and can't do to win. If you ask, I'll always tell, but if you don't then I'm not going to disclose to you what is possible and what isn't. Consider it an exercise in strategy.

2) Large dragons haven't been submitted yet, nor would I allow them to be. You will not be dealing with a dragon larger than 12 feet tall, if it were to stand on its hind legs.

As for redirecting fire, yes. Dragons can't breath it forever, and the metal is definitely going to get hot, but you can do it in a pinch. You might not want to hang onto your shield very long after that, though. Things to think about. Also, not all dragon breathe fire.

3) That's half the point of the armor, isn't it? Protecting you from physical damage, like bonking into the ground? Also, consider how heavy you would be. It would be able to throw you three, maybe four times before it needed a recharge. Pointless, as no such suit would be allowed, or has come up yet, but you get the point. There are very sure limits to what technology can and can't do in this game, just like anything else.

543792 Cool beans (that's right, I said "cool beans". Got a problem with that? I'm old enough to remember when that was popular so I'm allowed to say it).

Now It's off to spend another night at work thinking about whatever little loopholes and manipulations I can come up with to bend the rules:pinkiecrazy:.

Oh, just thought of something! In canon and in your universe, Zebras are often portrayed as having skill with potions as well as some voodoo-esque pseudo-magical abilities. Is it safe to assume those can be used in the tournament, and if so, what kinds of effects would be premissible given that the system is so undefined in either source?

Razorbeam
Group Admin

The system of Zebra magic is defined in my concepts for them. Sadly, due to time constraints, I haven't been able to write a fiction yet that outlines what precisely Zebras can and can't do. I have the gist of it in my head, however: in short, the magic they have is very real, albeit not as direct or as raw-powered as that of unicorns or changelings.

Expect voodoo magic and all of its not-good-ness. Aside from that, more specifics are granted to those making Zebra OC's that don't quite work their way into what I imagine their race to function like. In other words, if you make a Zebra that's way off from my plans, I help correct it, lol.

I have a feeling that point number two has a slight connection to me.
~Black Light

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Perhaps. There was one other dragon OC, but it hasn't returned from revisions.

A new challenger has appeared.
I hope that there end up being more dragon OCs. I have a feeling fights between dragons will be very interesting.
~Black Light

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Fight between dragons will be fun, lol. However, with their only being two, there's no guarantee that will ever happen in one or both lose in the first round.

I'm surprised there are no changeling entries. Tons and tons of unicorns, and no changelings. :rainbowlaugh:

Well there are still a couple more days. Hopefully you get more entries by the time it's finalized.
~Black Light

Fine, want me to submit a changling? I can, and you know what? I should.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

No, I want people to make the OC's they like, lol.

Me checking the roster...

Is that all the contestants or will you add more.

So, I have a question regarding the matches themselves. Is there a specific time limit, will there be scheduled matches or otherwise a free-for-all as people find time to try and compete? Also, is there a time limit on how quickly you must respond to your opponent's post? I guess what I'm afraid of is forfeiting the match because I had to take out the dog or something, lol. :twilightblush:

No, more will be added.

On Razorbeam's blog:

I will stop accepting OC's next Sunday [12/23/2012]. At that time, no other contest participants will be accepted.

In the Tournament Announcements:

Roster Shit:

Throughout the day you will notice blank champion outlines showing up with people's usernames on them. Once I have templates for all of you, I will begin moving champions into the roster. The reason I'm doing it this way is because even I can't post in the thread if it's locked, but I can still edit my previous posts.

This means I can lock it to keep you all from typing in it, and still be able to fill out the champion roster. If you see the roster thread unlocked, please do not post in it. I will kill you.

So wait.

Is the RP off-battle thread open at the time?

544085 No I mean on the roster page I sent my OC in on the first day.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

It is open. The people who have had OC's accepted know who they are, but this roster business takes some time, lol.

Right. FINDING AN INN WITH BOOZE, AWAY!

Wait, so you're done reviewing the OCs then?

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Those that exist currently and that haven't gone back for revisions, yes.

So if we haven't received any acceptance reply should we assume our OC didn't pass?

Razorbeam
Group Admin

You should assume I just suck at my job and have been sidetracked. Let me find you real quick.

Ha ha, take your time. I was just wondering because I had another OC in mind in case the first failed and wanted to know if I should start working on him.

543747 But I want to fight you non winged fuckers... You're way easier to disorient...

543778 About the dragon vs shield thing... please get confirmation on it...

544486 I can't tell who you're posts are replies to, because FimFiction is fun like that as STILL hasn't managed to fix the issue with replies on other pages not linking properly. I was hoping the new remake would have fixed that, but oh well.

As for the shield thing, Razor put in one of his replies that you can use one to deflect or block dragon fire, but prolonged exposure would cause the shield to heat up to potentially damaging levels. Be ready to ditch it if you get stuck in that situation. I would assume things like size and thickness would affect how long you could effectively use a shield in such a way before it becomes dangerous, but that will most likely be up to judge arbitration when it becomes relevant.

This. If I have to go an clean a bathroom only to come back and find I've been disqualified for inactivity, I'm going to be devastated. Or if I'm put on with someone on the other side of the world and have to stay up 'till 2am fighting.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

544083, 544959
I wouldn't worry. Though it seems inconvenient, matches will last until they are ended appropriately. Could this take a while? Yep. But is the process more fair this way? Fuck man, I dunno. Probably yes. :rainbowlaugh:

No you cannot be disqualified for inactivity, unless we're talking, like, an entire week where you just can't make a post or two.

As a point of interest:

How many damn ponies are in this competition?! Because I saw a HELL of a lot in that Out-of-Battle-Chat.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

I'm not surprised to see that most of the submissions are ponies rather than some other race. I'm not going to tell anyone what OC's they should make, just which ones they can't. The end result is that most people want to make ponies for some reason.

We're fans of My Little Pony, remember? Ponies are cutest. Ponies get more screen time. Ponies can use insane magic. Ponies ponies ponies! If the show were called, My Little Miscellaneous Mythical Creatures then it'd be weird.

Speaking of contestants, how many people have entered so far?

According to the roster, 32 have been accepted (Pending character sheets); but I would assume there would be at least 20 more, given the size of the group, that are still applying and sorting out the specifics of information.

As an estimate, I think we'll be near 60 by the end of the submission process.

Hey, so, we're going to be doing this in a stadium, right?

So can we do this Pokemon style where each contestant gets some amount of bits if they win? We can say that it's a percentage of the total amount of cash that the betting pool bet on the winner. Because fighting needs you to keep up your strength, and it'd be more than a little insane to expect contestants in a battle of this nature to keep fighting whilst also hungry (which is more like a barbarian deathmatch than an organized fight for glory and honor), and we'd need monies to go get food from the concession stands.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Except that the contestants are all guests of the city, and may utilize all of its services free of charge. However, if you want to bet between one another, nobody will stop you, lol.

You're assuming the tournament will take place in a single day, and that the contestants are all dirt-poor

Oh.

Man, I feel really stupid now.

I'm assuming that the fights will take place in some sort of stadium, seeing as the others can watch/cheer/jeer, but what will the terrain be like? Is it simply a flat expanse, or will it have rocky outcroppings, ditches, spires and such? Also, would it be open to the sky, or have some sort of dome to cap upward movement?

546535 Same question with 300 exclamation points.

548227!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will the Unity Games be a yearly event?

543839 I'm glad there isn't a lot of dragon contestants. My troll would most likely get wrecked by a proper firebreathing dragon. Trolls do not like fire, that stuff messes with their regeneration. I'm pretty happy yours only does lightning and that other one is apparently only half-firebreathing.

545474 Ponies are cool and all, but... dude. Trolls. Huge, stoneskinned, sentient ape-like monsters are the best. Trolls are the best.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

546535, 548227, 548247
The terrain will not be purely open, as this would be rather boring and make it very difficult for characters who are lightly armored and based on agility. Giving the terrain obstacles will help to make the matches more fair for all competitors involved, giving agility an obvious advantage similar to the obvious advantages of strength and intelligence.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

Unfortunately I doubt it. However, pending results, we'll see eh?

549224 Right, but is the terrain set beforehand or is it going to be randomized?

Razorbeam
Group Admin

The terrain will be set beforehand.

Will there be any double battles.
2v2

So, when exactly is the tourney starting? Like, after next Sunday, do fights start that Monday?

Also, you mentioned something somewhere about the Interaction Thread being "unofficial". Does that mean that anything in there will not be considered "canon"? Because the whole thing with the necromancer and the end of the world would be a REALLY cool thing to include in the final story for the grand champion.

Hey, I have a quick question. While my character can't use magic, he was taught how to recognize and deal with it. Such as when a unicorn is about to cast a spell, he can tell what spell is about to be cast and how best to avoid it. For other creatures this ability is lessened, but he is still able to get a pretty good picture of what type of spell or magic is about to be cast.

As for how to deal with a spell, he knows the fundamentals of magic well enough to create a plan on what the weaknesses of the spell are and how to exploit that. Such as when a unicorn is about to cast a fireball spell. While he wouldn't be able to stop the spell unless with direct confrontation with the unicorn, he would be able to pinpoint the spell's weak spot, speed, damage, or overall effect. Then it's just a decision to dodge or confront the spell.

Is this ability that my character has appropriate for battle?

Good to know. Now, what about weather? Are we to assume perpetual sunny skies & still winds (Changelings do live in the desert, right?), or will the GM (or whatever the equivalent is in this tourney) comment that the weather has changed at random times?

550185 Not anymore, T'rahk Enox is now flush with life. I'd say it's approaching rainforest levels, but you'd have to ask 549247 for the specifics.

Man I hope so!
Through I doubt the prize will be the same every year.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 269