The Unity Games 103 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 66 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 66
Razorbeam
Group Admin

If both duelists involved would kindly let me know that they are ready, this duel can begin. If one of the dueling parties does not report in (ready or otherwise) before Wednesday [3/6/2013], they will forfeit the match. If neither report in, both will forfeit.

Whether you are ready or not, please make it known in an ((OOC)) post here in this thread.

((Ready, to catalog this stuff... for profits?))

[[for profits, yes... that makes perfect sense.]]

Twilit smiled as she walked into the stands, wondering what the arena would be. Every time it had been vastly different, but she couldn't think of anything that could top Ghindrav in the semi-finals. Taking a seat with a good view, she settled in to watch.

Twilit pulled out a bag of un-popped popcorn and a slip of paper with a glyph on it, and setting the bag on top of the glyph, channeled magic into the glyph. After a moment, the bag began to inflate as the popcorn popped. Glancing in her saddlebag, Twilit noted that she had plenty more popcorn and several different types of drinks. The drinks were cold, as these were her saddlebags she had embroidered enchantment glyphs into, making the bag with the drinks like an icebox. Once the bag of popcorn was done, Twilit opened it and began to munch happily as she waited for the match to begin.

Emilia walked with a heavy step, dressed in her best clothes, a cloak, scarf, shawl and feather piece, all draped in the color of black. The air of the arena was rapt with a hurricane of emotions that rushed and tore at the air with a excited roar in anticipation for the upcoming clash between the finalists. She smiled, despite her loss against Virgil, she was happy for him. She felt pleasantly happy for Ferris too, having connected over a few rainy days.

With a light step in her walk, she moved forward, towards the stands. Looking down at the arean, she wondered what mystic landscape would grace their eyes now. Five different arenas, recreated to give the combatants an unique fighting ground and the spectators a grand match to bhold. Seating herself down next to a unicorn, she smiled at her.

"Hello, I'm Emilia Crestwalker, I don't believe we've met before," Emilia greeted, extending a claw out in good nature. She eyed the popcorn and drinks and wondered to herself why didn't she get any food or drinks.

Twilit looked up at the gryphon as she sat down, swallowing her mouthful of popcorn quickly. Twilit grinned at the gryphon in a cheery manner, taking her claw in hoof and shaking it firmly. "Hiya! I'm Twilit Blaze! I think we met briefly when all of us contestants gathered at the beginning, though that was more in passing. Still, we both made it to round 3, so we must have done something right."

Twilit looked out at the arena, then back at Emilia. Noticing the gryphon eying her popcorn and her drink, Twilit smiled and reached into the bag on the side her new companion was sitting, and pulled another bag and the slip of paper out again. Setting it to pop, she looked at Emilia. "So, would you like a drink as well? I have..." Twilit frowned as the information escaped her, and looked at the bag on the other side. Opening the rather large top, she looked in and then proceeded to push her head inside, followed by her forelegs and upper body, making it look like Twilit had somehow gone through the seat and under the stands.

Her voice drifted up from the opening as her flank stuck up in the air. "So, I've got Coke-a-colta, root beer, Dr. Trotter, some grape and orange sodas, apple juice, Sweet Appl... You didn't hear that one. Rum, scotch, vodka, Applejack Daniels, and this is taking too long. I've probably got it in here if you want it. So, what'll it be?"

Emilia was looking at something incredible now. There Twilit was, sticking her head in there like nothing was going on. Emilia stood there, flat faced. What a trooper. Emilia thought with a deadpan expression. When Twilit's flank stuck out with her voice coming out, Emilia sighed.

Mages, in her experienced opinion, were monsters, far removed from common sense and the laws of those of the non-magical inclination. Such trifles as burning innocents alive, twisting reality to realized their dark designs, and bending the fabrics of time and space seemed like second nature to them.

Twilit... was just a whole different brand of weird. Emilia honestly couldn't comprehend this unicorn. "Ummm... Coke-a-Colta." Emilia suddenly realized how weird she was for accepting this strange situation. She was talking to an unicorn's flank. Mages were rubbing off on her. "Listen, you got a nice flank and all, bigger than a dragon's grin, but need some help?" Emilia asked, grabbing onto Twilit's back legs.

"Nah, I've got it!" Twilit reached on hoof up and hooked it over the side of the bag, bracing on the seat, and extricated herself from her bag easily before looking at Emilia with a raised eyebrow. "Bigger than a dragon's grin, huh? Never heard that one. I'll take it as a compliment. Here ya go!" She said as she hoofed the chilled bottle of Coke-a-Colta over to the gryphon.

Noticing that she looked a bit uncomfortable, Twilit scratched the back of her head with a hoof. "Sorry if the got a bit weird. You get that way when you live like I do." Seeing that the popcorn was done, Twilit handed the fresh bag over as well, and put the glyph back into its place in her bag. Twilit trailed off in to a comfortable silence, looking out over the arena as she took a sip of her Dr. Trotter.

Emilia gave Twilit a smile as she was handed the Coke-a-Colta bottle. A cold sensation chilled her claw as the bottle touched it. She settled herself back in the seat again and ripped open the bag of popcorn with a joyous, a bit hungry, face. She looked at Twilit and simply patted her on the back.

"Don't worry about it, I deal with you mages on a daily basis. You're weird, but the good kind!" Emilia said, trying to assure Twilit that she didn't feel alienated in any way. She took off her clothes, set them on her chair, behind her back. She dug her claws into the popcorn, feeling the crunchy feel of the food, and shoved a bunch of popcorn into her beak, eating like a wild animal. She ate and ate with the same zeal as a dragon looking for gems.

Finally, after she finished, she looked at Twilit, butter and oil on the feathers of her neck, while opening her Coke-a-Colta. Guzzling the cool taste of chilled soda, Emilia felt refreshed, sighing with a content air after she finished. "So... third round, huh. Who'd you fight against then?" Emilia asked, lowering her drink to allow full attention on Twilit.

Twilit smiled slightly. "Glad you enjoyed that so much. To answer your question... Powderburn. It was a close match, I think. Got lucky with that rope of his after disarming me. Still, no shame in losing in a tournament of champions like this. Especially to someone that it took one of the finalists to beat."

Noticing her Dr. Trotter had run dry, Twilit stored the empty bottle in the cooler bag, and withdrew another. She almost grabbed one of her hard ciders, but decided that it was too early to drink. After popping the top off of the bottle and taking a sip, Twilit looked at Emilia again. "You fought Virgil in the third round, right? Is he as good as I think he is? I met him briefly over dinner at one point, and I got the distinct impression that he wasn't to be messed with."

Emilia sighed. She met Powderburn, her aspiration, once for a drink with Broken Horns. He was someone that wasn't meant to be trifled with and Virgil taking him down spoke volumes of Virgil. "That's a nice attitude to carry on."

Emilia lifted the bottle up, holding up high up to let some droplets of coke fall into her beak. They fell and Emilia gulped, wanting to taste a few last drops of it. She rested her claw on her chin and sighed. Lifting her left claw up, the one that Virgil had basically cut off, she spoke to Twilit. "This claw, he cut it up with a sword, I couldn't escape and I ended up with a stump where my claw was supposed to be for the rest of that match. You definitely don't want to be on the receiving end of that stallion's blade," Emilia said.

Twilit eyed the claw, noting that there were no marks from the wound. "The healers did their jobs well. I can't see any marks there. And yeah, I'd rather not be on his bad side. Or any side that happens to be in his way. He's far too driven. Ponies like him just don't give up, especially when they have something to fight for, like I think he does."

Twilit looked up at the sky for a moment, smiling still. "Me on the other hoof? I'm here because I love travel, heard about the Games, and decided it sounded like fun. I fought for what I needed a long time ago, through words and actions, not battle. Won it too." Twilit took another sip of her Dr. Trotter. "Sweet Celestia, I've gotten sappy today. Would you like another drink, Emilia? I promise not to stick my flank in your face again..." Twilit said with a laugh, leaving the usual 'unless you want me to' unspoken.

Emilia lowered her eyes at what Twilit said. Virgil had a reason, far greater than any they could ever imagine. Twiddling her talons, she sighed and chuckled slightly. "You tell me."

Emilia smiled. "Oh really? I actually liked having somepony's big, wide, larger than Aurus' heart flank sticking out at me," Emilia teased. "I'll have another Coke-a-Colta." Emilia looked up at the sky, taking up the calming, still nature of the ever present blue land beyond their reaches. "Me... I came here to advocate world peace, I guess you can tell how well that turned out," Emilia said, chuckling with a bit of bitterness in it.

Twilit chucked at Emilia's teasing. "Oh, quit trying to make me blush." This time, instead of getting up and digging into her bag, Twilit simply reached in and pulled one out, hoofing it over. "Here you go. A lot easier when I don't have to list things off..."

Listening to Emilia's bitter chuckle, Twilit frowned. Rolling the bottle in her hooves, Twilit spoke softly, barely loud enough to hear. "You already succeeded, you know. Just by being here. That is the point of the Games, after all. By coming here, showing what you can do, you inspire people to do better. That was the whole point. Show the other nations just how bright you can shine, prove you are worth befriending. Its all about mentality... 'That pony can do it, why can't I.' 'Oh, wow! I didn't know that all of those races could get along that well! Maybe I should try too?'"

Twilit looked over at Emilia and smiled. "If there is one thing I learned from the Zebras, its that the smallest things make a difference. So, I'd say it turned out pretty well."

Emilia looked at Twilit. She had to admit this, the unicorn had a good heart about her. Holding the chilled bottle in her claw, she popped the cap open and drank the coke down slowly, feeling the cold, sweet liquid rush down her throat. She cleared her throat after consume a quarter of the drink, gasping slightly.

"True... I guess I'm cynical that way," Emilia sighed, shrugging a bit. Emilia's eyes widened at the mention of zebras. "Oh, I've been with a couple of zebras in my career. They would say something like: 'A wave that rushes through the ocean starts off as a tiny ripple in the water,' quite insightful, I might say. So is that how you learned your glyphs?" Emilia asked, noting the prior glyph used to bake the popcorn into a crispy flavor.

Archimedes walked onto the spectator seats and sat down to see what might very well be the most important gladiator match of all time. While he would not lie and say that he was not sour not to be there himself he was still proud that one of the finalists was a diamond dog. Armor clanking, claws skinning and halberd cracking with electric excitement he gave a grin. fight you bastard, fight and show us your might at arms. Whatever the outcome I will be happy to have participated

"Not exactly. I have my glyphs because I can't use magic any other way. Body can't process the magic I draw in correctly, so I have to use glyphs to form spells. And yeah, that sounds like a Zebra. Picked up a bit of that from Neytiri, myself. They taught me quite a lot in the years I spent with them, and not just glyphs." A fond smile spread over Twilit's face as she thought back to her time there again. "I've never met a Zebra I didn't lik... No, thats not true. Well, as a whole, the Zebras are a spectacular race, one we are lucky to have. Much like the changelings."

Razorbeam
Group Admin

760857, 761112

((You know the drill. Closed by Saturday night. I don't feel like copying the usual bit here. No special arenas this time, or special dueling rules. The arena this time is completely unaltered.

Fight with honor!))

The arena was already quiet when Aurus stood this time, only whispers in the crowd of private conversations regarding the next match: the last match. For Aurus, this was the event he had hoped for from the beginning. He could think of absolutely nothing more fitting than the final duel of the Unity Games between Ferris and Virgil.

The old pony, whose life had been consumed by tragedy and hatred. Peace had been torn away from him, and he had spent a lifetime in the dark without it, only to be offered it one last time. If anyone could understand the true gravity of what it meant to fight with all of his being for peace of spirit, that one was Virgil Cor'adamas.

Ferris was his polar opposite, yet no less deserving. Trained for peace, groomed for it, the dog carried in him the ultimate cultivation of a thousand year's worth of patience and philosophy. He was the embodiment of a different kind of peace... the kind that had always been, always would be, and was simply waiting to be found again by the once-dark world that it had been forced to hide from to survive.

"This is what I had hoped for," Aurus said quietly, his voice not yet amplified for all to hear him. A gentle smile played at his lips as he channeled the magic through him, at last rising from his seat and addressing the crowd as all eyes turned expectantly towards him.

"My friends, this is it. This is the final battle of the tournament, the last stepping stone in the climb to power that these two brilliant duelists no stand upon. Before you stand the two who have proven themselves to be unequaled in their tenacity."

"In their resolve, unshakeable no matter the obstacles," he said, deliberately looking at Virgil in the center of the arena.

"And in their compassion, even when blood must be shed," he added afterward, fixing Ferris with a knowing smile.

He turned his eyes back to the crowd, smiling warmly. "They have been tested each and every day by those of like strength, yet here they stand. They have weathered the fires of Tartarus and the nightmares of Ghindrav in their trials. I can think of nothing in this world that is left to test them with... except for one another," he said sincerely, his tone warm.

"They will fight plainly, as masters in the sands of this arena, for all of us to see. This day we witness the fight for peace as it has never been seen before; when two warriors fully dedicated to finding and preserving it must collide to achieve it. It is the ultimate duel of good fate, for no matter the victor, they have proven their worth as scions of peace."

Aurus finished addressing the audience, turning his gaze on the two combatants. "Virgil and Ferris... Show the world what it truly means to fight for peace. You may begin."

The roar of the crowd had become all but muted; hushed whispers and quiet speculations. There was a sort of tension in the air, and a very familiar one at that. It was the sense of a building pressure, of two great forces moving against one another, pushing the other to their very limit. Everyone seemed to sense this, and were thus silent in the face of it. Almost every single challenge in the tournament had led to this moment, and it would not be denied.

This was the calm before the storm.

And as the crowd waited, Ferris Candle slowly walked through the entrance of the arena, his head bowed in respect. He was truly in awe of the entire situation, unbelieving that he had made it to this final match, and against Virgil, no less. Two warriors, both of them as similar and different as night and day, would meet upon this battlefield.

And only one could be declared victor.

The Monk spotted the old pony on his side of the arena, and bowed low to him in respect once more. He had no words to say that would have properly conveyed how he felt at that moment. No sound could match the excitement in his heart, the feeling of his blood pumping through his body; to even attempt to do so would be a grave injustice to the beauty of the moment.

((Health: 100%, Stam: 97%
Approved by: Twilight at Dusk))

Ferris nodded to the wizened old warrior before him, and gave his acknowledgement with a small smile on his face. His opponent would push him to his very limits, he knew that. Virgil had cunning, strength, and a tenacity rarely seen in any creature. His ability to adapt to a situation was legendary at this point. Both of them had a strength that they could draw from, a weakness they would have to watch. Ferris would have to act fast, and think faster than he had ever done before.

There was no way to tell who could win this fight. No way to tell what tricks either might have up their sleeve, no way to see who would go down first.

The only thing certain was that this would be a fight to remember.

{Action}

Ferris wasted no time in removing his staff from his back, and dashing toward his opponent as fast as his legs could carry him. His eyes never left his opponent, as he rapidly closed the distance between them. When he felt he was close enough, he aimed a feint directly towards the old pony's left side, hoping to trick him into giving him an opening.

((Health: 100%, Stamina: 95%

{Reaction}

Sand flew into the air as Ferris saw his opponent spin before him, bringing his own staff around to attack the dog. Knowing full well it would be a mistake to attempt to match his physical strength in this situation, the monk bent himself backwards while spreading his legs in a full split. Gravity took over, and pulled him down just in time to avoid the swing, the metal staff harmlessly flying over his head.

{Action}

Never once pausing in his own movements, the dog rolled from the ground to Virgil's right side, where he proceeded to leap once more to his paws. Ferris' mind started racing, attempting to think of another strategy. He couldn't remain still for long though, he had to keep the tinkerer moving in the hopes that he'd move too fast for him, and land a solid hit.

With that in mind, the monk this time twisted his body around, and jabbed directly for Virgil's haunch with his staff, thrusting it with as much strength as he dared risk.

((Health: 96%, Stamina: 92%))

{Reaction}

There wasn't any time to dodge, not this time. Ferris cursed himself for the mistake, but twisted his body around to take the blow on his hip, and shuffled his paws to move with the force of the staff. Virgil's attack inadvertently helped the dog to move away just a bit faster, and helped take the worst of the pain away. That still left Ferris too close for comfort, though.

He had to keep moving.

{Action}

Ferris pushed off with his paws, and once more spun around with his staff, swinging for the back of Virgil's head. This time, he made sure to keep his paws ready to move, should Virgil try to counter as he had before. The pony had more strength, and he couldn't afford to let him use his weapon for much longer.

That, he thought, was the key. If he could take away Virgil's staff, it might even the playing field just a little bit more.

((Health: 96%, Stamina: 88%
Approved by: ))

{Reaction}

It was refreshing for the Jade Dog to fight someone who was extraordinarily proficient with a staff. The maneuver he had just pulled would have baffled any other opponent who had never seen it. Fortunately for Ferris, he had been trained for just this kind of situation.

Letting go of his own staff, the monk placed one paw on Virgil's own staff, using it to pull himself toward the seasoned fighter. As he bore down upon his foe, Ferris allowed a small smile of his own.

{Action}

Using his grip on Virgil's staff as his own guide, the monk brought his free paw up in a tight fist, and launched a powerful jab directly toward the pony's exposed face. Contrary to what others might have thought of him, the monk knew how to take advantage of an up close and personal situation.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

((Health: 93%, Stamina: 87%

{Reaction}

As Ferris' punch knocked Virgil over, the monk realized too little too late that the pony would have easily been able to counter with a strike of his own. In an attempt to take as much of the force away from it as possible, he started to try and pull back, only to be clipped on his lip by Virgil's hoof. Moving further back, the Jade Dog realized he was now in possession of his opponent's staff, while Virgil had his own.

This was a strange predicament. While he knew he couldn't work out the designs or uses of the tinkerer's signature weapon, it was still a staff, and a strong one at that. If he moved fast enough, he could have used it against Virgil, perhaps even accidentally discover one of its functions. Then again, Virgil still had Ferris' staff, and the monk had seen firsthand how proficient he was with a weapon like that. It was a risky endeavor, and it meant they would have been further locked into their stalemate.

{Action}

Glancing down at the titanium staff he held in his paws, he held it out toward Virgil, and waited for the pony to stumble back to a standing position.

"Willing trade staffs? Mine feel better balance in paws," Ferris offered the pony.

((Health: 93%, Stamina: 83%

{Reaction}

Ferris tossed his own staff the moment Virgil had thrown his, moving with that same ghost-like speed he had become famous for. As the tinkerer had lunged for his own weapon, so too had the Monk made a dash for his. But while Virgil had stayed low to the ground, he opted for a different route.

With Virgil charging toward him, the Jade Dog pushed off of the ground with his legs, allowing him to clear the pony with a single leap, and snatch his staff in midair. This would help ensure that his opponent couldn't strike him instantly, and allow the dog to ready another defensive stance.

{Action}

Rolling into the landing to conserve energy, the monk whirled around with his staff ready to block any strike, and his paws ready to move at the first sign of action.

((Health: 93%, Stamina: 81%

{Reaction}

The very instant his eyes caught a glimmer in the metal of Virgil's staff, as if something about it were changing, the monk realized the tinkerer was about to draw his sword and slice through his staff. There was no time to move it, no time to react. Only one option was available to Ferris now.

He braced his arms, and felt a sharp pang of despair as his staff was cleanly sliced in two.

His staff, the weapon he had been trained with his entire life, the one he had chosen to carry into the world for the first time...Ferris could only watch as the blade tore through it, almost in a perfect slice. That was the cold beauty of a sword, he supposed. There was nothing to be done about it now.

Although he had to admit.

He was thankful Virgil had just given him two very effective clubs.

{Action}

Ferris took his left club, and sharply brought it down upon Virgil's sword, throwing its course off balance, and allowing him to take the other club, and swing for his opponent's unprotected face. He moved quickly, his mind calling every trick and move he had learned from his lifetime of training.

Twilit who had been watching silently up to this point, winced as Ferris' staff was cut in two. After all, she knew just how attached one could get to their staff. She wasn't really surprised, however, when Ferris quickly adjusted to the new situation and attacked with the two halves. The diamond dog had certainly show such initiative and quick thinking in the earlier rounds. "They seem pretty evenly matched..." Twilit commented, taking a sip of her Dr. Trotter.

Twilit watched as Virgil redirected the staff and counter attacked, sending a vicious kick and sword slice combo at Ferris. "Geez. Perhaps its best I didn't end up in a battle with these two. I wouldn't have had a chance to get hardly any magic off, even WITH my new technique for scribing glyphs."

((Health: 93%, Stamina: 79%

{Reaction}

Ferris moved with the push once more, spinning his body around to not only dodge the pony's kick, but also neatly bring up his left club to take the sword slash on it, angling it so that the blade would harmlessly slide on it and above his head. As the sharp metal passed by him, the monk kept his steeled gaze on his opponent, watching for every move, every little hint at what could be an attack.

{Action}

Quickly swinging his right paw up and around with the motion he had been pushed by, he brought the other end of his broken staff directly towards the joint of Virgil's staff bearing arm.

((Health: 93%, Stamina: 76%

{Reaction}

The shield was a surprising move that would have taken anyone else off their guard. Coupled with the sudden thrust of a razor sharp sword, and it would have spelled defeat for an unprepared opponent. Luckily, Ferris was far from that. When his own attack had been blocked by the sudden appearance of Virgil's buckler, the monk had pushed himself backward, twisting his own body once again to dodge the deadly sword.

It was a close call, though. Had he not acted any sooner, and the match would have surely ended there and then.

{Action}

This time, Ferris didn't wait for his opponent to recover. He batted aside the sword with his left club, and jabbed towards Virgil's grip with the other, hoping to loosen it, or make it harder for him to attack.

((Health: 93%, Stamina: 74%

{Reaction}

Ferris had never once been faced with a challenge such as Virgil. Every one of his strikes had the force of a charging rhino, yet he had the cunning mind of a fox, able to act against each move Ferris attempted. Truly, he had experience, and that clearly shown in this battle. If he wanted to find a way around his arsenal of tricks and knowledge, he'd have to be creative.

He'd have to do something the old pony hadn't seen before.

When Virgil tried to fling sand into Ferris' eyes, the monk knew that the pony wouldn't rely on just that simple move. No, he'd try to add more to it. Expecting that, he lunged backwards, taking a few steps in order to put more distance between them.

And here was his chance.

{Action}

He barely had any time, but the monk had to try something to counter the old warrior. Keeping that thought in mind, Ferris tucked his clubs under his arms, and started to undo one of the long wraps he kept around his left paw, unraveling it as quickly as he could. When he felt it was long enough, the monk bit through the toughened cloth with his powerful jaws, leaving him with a decent length that could be used for a wide variety of things.

Now he just had to get it ready.

((Health: 73%, Stamina: 69%

{Reaction}

He had little time now. As Virgil rummaged about in his saddlebags, the monk could only begin to guess what his opponent had in store for him. Taking the cloth in his paws, Ferris was able to quickly tie one end of it to the base of one of his clubs, ensuring that it would be tight enough to hold for what he had planned. He repeated the movement with his other club, and readied his newly improvised weapon just in time to watch Virgil hurl one of his infamous grenades towards him.

He remembered briefly seeing the kind of devastation the weapon had caused in the pony's duel against Emilia, how she had nearly been crushed by an avalanche triggered by the very same kind of explosive now bearing down upon him. She had been fast enough to dodge the worst of it, though. With her wings and her own intelligence, Emilia was able to come back around for another attack.

Ferris did not intend to dodge this one, though.

{Action}

And with his new weapon, he had a new tactic available to him. With the cloth securely tied to each end of the broken staff halves, the monk watched as the grenade flew towards him. In most cases, he would attempt to move out of the way, to let the force of the explosion push him into a better position. This time, though, he had something that could, quite literally, turn the tables.

His staff ends had now been converted into an effective pair of nunchaku. And with the cloth that connected the two weapon ends...he also had a decent sling.

When the grenade was just within reach, Ferris struck, catching the grenade in the toughened cloth wrap, and spinning his body around, allowing him to fling the explosive right back at his opponent. Unfortunately, though, there was a small hitch in the dog's plan. The projectile had reached its midway point, an evened distance between the two fighters...

BOOM!

The force of the explosion shoved the dog away with the strength of a charging bull, catching his body in a wall of heat and kinetic energy. He managed to roll to his paws after slamming into the ground, measuring how badly the blast had damaged him. Thankfully, he hadn't broken any bones, nor torn any muscles.

He could still fight. And so could Virgil.

((Health: 73%, Stamina: 68%

{Reaction}

Ferris' ears rang violently from the force of the blast, his vision was blurred and shaky. It was a hard enough task to focus on his opponent, let alone try to attack. He had to conserve his energy, clear his mind. With his nunchaku, he might be able to throw the pony a few more new twists in their fight, hopefully gaining an upper hand somehow.

At this point, though, the monk only had one goal in mind: Focus.

{Action}

The Jade Dog slowly inched his way forward, gathering his thoughts inside of his mind as he moved. Even when he had been caught by Lofty's flare spell, or even Storm Blitz's own grenades, he hadn't become this disoriented. Rapid Fire's electric gloves had been a small static shock compared to Virgil's explosive power. The closest comparison would be Runt's own brute force, and his sheer berserker fury.

That didn't mean the monk was giving up, though. He was no longer just fighting to find a place in the world for his kind. King Aurus had ensured that the Jade Monks would be able to return, and had reassured him that they would be welcomed. He had accomplished almost everything he had set out to do, he knew that.

But there was still one item that remained. Everyone needed to know what the Yù Gǒu Sēnglǚ were fully capable of, to know how they had found strength in their own way. Peace had become their sword, wisdom their shield. Knowledge was their trade, and their bodies were a testament to what their beliefs could accomplish.

And it was Ferris' job to ensure that everyone knew that. Besides...

He wanted to earn his own place in the world.

((Health: 64%, Stamina: 65%

{Reaction}

Virgil had put an enormous amount of strength behind his attack, nearly catching the monk off guard with his sudden burst of energy. It was only Ferris' pure speed that managed to save him in the end, as he planted his paws on the ground, and lifted his shoulder to take the worst of the attack. As the metal shield crashed into him, the monk grit his teeth against the pain, and stood strong, letting the force of the attack push him just a little.

This allowed the monk to begin gathering his Qi, with his senses recovered, while bracing his nunchaku for a solid strike.

{Action}

As his opponent slammed into him, Ferris whipped his nunchaku directly at Virgil's neck, hoping to wind the old pony and to give himself time to gather more Qi in preparation for what was to come.

((Health: 57%, Stamina: 61%

{Reaction}

This was the chance Ferris had been waiting for. With Virgil swinging for Ferris' face, the monk knew that this could be his only shot at properly disarming his opponent. He bent his body back to reduce the first jab to just a glancing blow, only to lean into the next attack, and actually catch the shield with a single paw. He felt himself be pushed back even further, with the metal rims nearly tearing into his skin, only to be stopped by his fist wraps.

{Action}

Ignoring the pain from the jab, the monk once more brought his nunchaku about in his paw, and swung for Virgil's shield-bearing leg, sharply cracking the weapon hard enough to break bones. This fight was pushing him to his very limits, and he intended to see just how far his body could take him in this fight. After all, he was fighting the best that the world had to offer.

He knew he had to put up a fight, no matter what.

((Health: 37%, Stamina: 54%

{Reaction}

Pain. That was Ferris' predominant feeling. The bones in his elbow snapped, his muscles torn from the sheer power of Virgil's strike. His mind became a red haze, his senses dulled by the harsh feeling of pain coursing throughout his entire arm. There was no denying it; Virgil had broken Ferris' arm.

But he had made one fatal mistake.

{Action}

Even though Virgil had a hold on Ferris, this meant that the monk had his own hold on the pony. Dropping his nunchaku and the titanium shield to the ground, almost involuntarily thanks to his broken arm, the monk brought forth his Qi into his right arm, and viciously jabbed at Virgil's ribs, forcing himself to fight through the pain.

((Health: 35%, Stamina: 53%

{Reaction}

The Monk weakly stepped back with the push, allowing himself to put a little more distance between the two of them. If he were to be honest, he was exhausted. His arm was broken, he still felt several bruises and burns from the grenade, and his shoulder stung harshly where Virgil's shield had crashed into it. His gi was plastered to his fur with sweat and small amounts of blood, with entire patches covered with sand from the arena. Everything was becoming a physical pain to do, even just the simple act of moving.

He was in a bad spot, to be sure. He didn't even bother trying to locate his nunchaku, not with only one arm available. It would have been pointless, and given his opponent too much of an opportunity to attack him. Though, Ferris had to admit, that was his only advantage right now: His speed. He had to press on.

This wouldn't be the first time he had fought with a broken arm, but it would be the first time he tested his skill against these kinds of odds.

And the very idea of that made him give Virgil a somewhat pained smile because of it.

{Action}

There was only one option that was left at this point. He had been pushed to beyond his limits now, gone far past what everyone had expected. Somehow, he knew that his next move would force this battle into one direction or the other.

Slowly, almost painfully, the dog closed his eyes, and raised his good paw to his chest in a flat, meditative pose.

Qi. The Inner Strength. A power that was so vast, yet so unknown. Nearly everyone had the potential to utilize it in some way. Whether it was a mother's love for her family, an artist's passion for his work, or a magic user's most powerful spell, all relied on their own inner strength to guide them. All monks were taught that while their bodies might fail, that their inner strength was everlasting. It could tame the fiercest flames, calm the wildest beast...

It could hold back the storm.

Ferris began to gather every last ounce of power he had left within him, drawing an immeasurable amount of Qi into his one good arm. Everything he had was going into this one last attack. It was his final stand.

It was the Steel Paw.

As he readied the strike, the monk began to once more inch his way forward, his eyes slowly opening to regard his opponent with a steady gaze.

((Health: 32%, Stamina: 2%

{Reaction}

Ferris calmly watched as Virgil forced himself to meet the monk's eyes with a determined gaze, one that revealed the inner strength of the pony before him. The once destructive blaze that had fueled his every move had finally been turned into a roaring flame that could be used to create a new life from the broken remains of his past. Everything had led to this moment. The tournament, their meeting, their final fight.

It had all come down to this.

It was all or nothing.

{Action}

Ferris dived forward, and unleashed all of his Qi in a single devastating punch, striking at Virgil's head.

761567>>768424>>768426

((Socratic, I'm ruling that as a potential deathblow. Please direct your next post to Razorbeam to be judged.))

Brazen and Moonfrost had watched the entirety of the match fold out. It started quick, but as both of them watched, they felt the spirits of the two combatants press on beyond their limits, trading jab for punch, and slash for thrust. They were moving in slow motion to these two onlookers, the feelings that waged on in this arena were far greater than any before it, each of them would not forget this match and every action would be ingrained in their memories.

Brazen noted multiple shifts in their emotions, but for each, the dominating trait was determination, a sheer willpower driving each of them on. He didn't want either combatants to be in as much pain as he saw in both of them and his heart ached at seeing someone he considered to be a father to him be in so much pain. The broken ribs, the missing piece of his weapon, all in the fight for peace, and redemption, these all factored into the pain Brazen had felt now.

He then noted the Jade Monk, just as he had Virgil. Ferris was a new friend he had only met once, but he already didn't want to see his pain grow any further. Both of them were fighting for peace as well as for endeavors they held dear to them, endeavors that pushed them to this moment, this final match. With the sudden shift in Ferris' aura, more evident to Brazen, he saw the focus go to his good arm before he made his way to Virgil, readying and making the attack. In that moment, time seemed to stop, slowing so each detail could be seen, each drop of sweat in mid flight had frozen in its flight. This was it, all or nothing, and once time would chose to act again, the match would finally find its end, with either Virgil or Ferris achieving victory.

((Health: 32%, Stamina: 1%
Approved by: Razorbeam, Twilight at Dusk))

{Reaction}

There it was. That hidden strength Virgil had been holding back all along. When his body had failed him and all seemed lost to the old warrior, he was able to draw upon that inner fire that resided within all living creatures. But while Ferris had opted to use it in a last ditch attack, his opponent had summoned it all for an impenetrable defense. And now, only fate could tell which one would withstand the other.

As Ferris' fist crashed into Virgil's hooves, the mere force of the blow shook the ground around them, sending up an enormous cloud of dust and sand, obscuring the two fighters from view. Loud, thunderous cracks were heard all across the arena, as the earth beneath them began to break, unable to withstand the pressure.

Finally, the dust began to settle in an agonizingly slow manner...And Virgil still stood strong. The strength of Ferris' Qi Strike had forced the tinkerer back several feet, and it was evident just how much strain had been put on both of them.

All was silent in the arena.

{Action}

Ferris smiled tiredly at Virgil, his entire body gradually beginning to tremble. Seeing the crystal armor of the pony, he idly wondered at how it made him seem...at peace. As if he had finally shrugged off the pain of his past...yet hadn't left it completely behind. No, the tragedy of the old hunter's life was far too great to ignore. It would have been wrong to forget it entirely. What he had done, though, was infinitely more difficult, yet well worth it in the end, as evidenced by the power he now held.

Virgil had embraced his past, and found peace with himself in the present.

In the end...he had won.

"Go, Virgil," Ferris gasped out between breaths. "Find...family. Find...peace."

Ferris Candle, the warrior of a lost world and ambassador of a once forgotten people, fell to the dirt, defeated with a smile on his face.

Ferris grit his teeth against the pain, nearly blacking out from sheer exhaustion. But he managed to do one more impossible act. Keeping his good arm wrapped around the old pony, he braced his legs against the ground, and pushed against him as he began to falter. It was almost unbearable, but the monk stopped Virgil's own collapse by adding his support.

"No, Virgil," he managed to wheeze as he stood there, the two of them supporting each other, both barely able to stand without the other.

The Monk looked into the crowd, watching countless changelings, ponies, gryphons, and even a few other dogs cheer wildly, their own excitement filling the air. He was visibly stunned, clearly unused to hearing this many people cheer for a fight, let alone the two combatants. Had he truly lost, if the audience was cheering this madly? Briefly, he found himself recalling a few experiences he had been fortunate enough to witness outside of the tournament.

The freedom of stepping outside of the mountains for the first time, and witnessing the land that stretched out before him. The awe he felt at seeing Vemn Enox for the first time, standing just outside of the city while the sun rose high into the sky. The wonder he held at how many creatures there truly were, how they had all been as different as Yin and Yang.

Everything had been entirely new to the young dog, from the moment he set paw in the city, and entered the tournament. He'd been introduced to so many new thoughts and ideas, yet somehow, his own beliefs still held true. He had taught others just as much as he himself had been taught, ad stood strong against the fiercest of foes.

And as he watched the crowd all around him, he had to smile once again. He was no longer just a part of a monastery high in the mountains. All of his friends he had made at this tournament were from all over the world. From the kingdom of the changelings, to the home of the ponies, to even the fierce gryphon lands. They all had their place in this world.

And now, so was he.

"No...Thank you, Virgil," Ferris stated weakly. "You help me learn that monastery not home. It safe and wise, but it not where friends live. I learn now...that they in world. In good, and bad, that where they are."

The Jade Dog, student of Master Longtail, closed his eyes, and felt an ocean of peace wash over him.

He was home.

Razorbeam
Group Admin

775321, 772049

As the two combatants lost themselves to the exaltation of the crowd around them, Aurus made his way quietly and calmly to them. The cheering did not abate, and nothing signaled his coming until they saw him with their own eyes, their attention at last drawn away from the crowd.

"All for you," he chuckled, following their gaze about the coliseum, a pleasant smile on his face. Magic enveloped the both of them, pushing and pulling, holding them aloft and taking the weight off their shoulders as Aurus lifted them like heroes. Though they never truly left the ground, his supportive magical aura was a welcome relief to the two tired fighters.

That was, of course, until he pulled both Ferris and Virgil into his embrace, and held them up himself. Though the motion jarred Ferris' arm and bent Virgil's ribs, neither of them felt any pain as magic flooded through them, mending their wounds and numbing all agony, leaving behind only the bliss of the cheers, and the sensation of Aurus' strong embrace.

"This is what peace sounds like," he said quietly, so that only the two warriors could hear it. "This is the song the world sings when warriors triumph over darkness, over trepidation. It is loud, it is beautiful, and it is sung in your honor," he said proudly, as if he were a father congratulating his sons. Though he was clearly younger, he somehow seemed older as he pulled away from them, allowing them to stand once more on their own. The magic still coursed through them, but already he knew that it had granted them what little vitality these two incredible creatures would need to stand tall.

"You came to teach of peace. Look how many you have taught," Aurus said to Ferris, a warm smile painted on his face. "Look at the first message from your people to all the peoples of the world in a thousand years. With your fists, your words, and most of all your heart, you have shown them and told them more than anyone could have dreamed. And this is what they think of your lesson, Master Ferris." Aurus gestured to the roaring crowd, dipping his head in respect to Ferris as he used the most powerful title he knew the monk would respect. His words carried only sincerity as he took his gesturing hoof and clapped it gently on Ferris' shoulder for one wordless moment, before turning to Virgil.

His already warm gaze softened into something more tender. The love for a family member, and a dear friend. "Look at it, Virgil," Aurus said quietly, for his ears alone. "Your dark path brought you here. You stand on golden sands, with millions crying your name as a hero of peace. Though you fought a fellow warrior of good, your real battle was harder won. Even outside the ring you've fought it, yet it is in the ring that you are truly victorious over your past. They might never understand what it is you really fought for... but all of them understand clearly how much peace means to you now," he said, draping a leg over Virgil's shoulders in a warm embrace as he stood next to him.

"And among those people who understand that Virgil Cor'adamas is a man who will have his peace, Auria is there," he said quietly, scanning the crowd as if looking for her. "You've changed so much, proven more than I had ever imagined having to ask of you. When you came to me, you were not ready. You were broken. But here, though you are more damaged in body than you have ever been, your spirit has never been more whole."

"Your battle for peace is nearly done, my friend," Aurus said confidently, pulling away from Virgil and facing him once more. "And no one has fought harder or longer than you have for it."

Glancing at both of them, his smile only widened, the cheers still undiminished. "This is what peace sounds like."

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 66