World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 848 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23

Why, in-universe are ponies so big on forgiveness?

magic probably. Everything there can, for the most part, be easily mended. I guess though it depends on the intent. For example Yaks destroy things as part of their culture, but I think ponies would be decidedly less forgiving if they just did it to be dicks

That and the fact that magic can be deadly too, hence the need to tread lightly; after all, considering how their homeland used to be a death world even without the windigos, it would probably make sense: let's not forget how Changelings came to be though...

Comment posted by Fireflower deleted Apr 17th, 2020

Lazy writing/plot convinces?

I don’t believe it’s much with magic but Harmony. In Equestria I believe Harmony is less like a magic thing but rather an ideology. It’s kinda like saying “why are Americans so big on Free Speech and Liberty?”

Herd animals need to have a very strong sense of community, and mutual protection. Their strength is in numbers. Anti-social members could be driven out of the community and ostracized, but lone; unprotected individuals on the fringes of the herd tend to attract predators.

Are ponies, in general? Well, perhaps for small, no-harm-no-foul things. But i don't necessarily think they are, culturally, for big stuff.

Well their rulers are a pair of formally-feuding and -separated sisters.

There is NO evidences of harmonic ideology, or any ideology at all. NO, not a single one. This is why friendship missions were needed.

Eh, it’s just a little theory. Fun to think about.

Because forgiveness is good for you.

For now, at least - give it a few years.

Yeah, for now - it probably would be created by Twilight and others. But that old belief that Equestria initially had a friendship ideology has no base. I mean, there was no direct mentions and ponies in general were not more good-kind-friendly-harmonic-whatever than humans.

Nevertheless, I do use it myself, given the general lack of info we get on pony religious or spritual practices. As for not being so visible in practice - well, how well do humans live up to our own professed morals?

it could also be a religion thing Equestria could be more of a theology than a Monarchy

If ponies don't follow this ideology then how would it affect their forgiveness?

What it? Friendship and harmony?

Well I do think they have a general preference for soft, reconciliatory solutions - the kind involving mediators rather than judges, although ponies will often just work things out between themselves.

Yes, much like in Christianity, kindness and order is a main factor of religion. They treat their leaders like gods and practically worship them. If it weren’t for Celestia and Luna placing their divine intervention and ideals of harmony, unity, and friendship. Ponies would still hate each other.

Nope. To stop hate each other ponies need to be constantly threatened by windigoes. But I asked about the time. Are you speaking about what you believe existed at the start of the show or about possible post-canon future?

I’m talking about the start of the show. In the timeline of Equestria, the ponies united behind a common cause and further welded because of a downright religious and ideological attachment to the Princesses. And judging from the cult of personality surrounding the princesses you usually see in the show, where they say things like “oh my Celestia”, have holidays dedicated to the princesses, bow to them, and idealize them. The idea of Equestrian harmony being a religion or extreme ideology is solidified even more.

To play devil's advocate, Princess worship doesn't nescessarily imply Harmonic principles.

Yeah, but it could also be extreme ideology. Examples would be Germans saying “Heil Hitler” after every greeting. Or Soviets naming their children after Vladimir Lenin.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23