MLP: Motherhood is Magical 2,659 members · 1,554 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

as I type this I begin to realize how much of a stupid question thus is.

Of course, thus really depends on the situation and the end product to have a real answer, but who cares,

What do you people feel about the use of OC's for children and parents.

I am not going to deny this could spell disaster, but at the same time, this is necessary because for many characters, we do not have actual answers for parents, and many of the characters do not have children.

So, how do you feel about this?

If you need some exposition to help make up your mind, I have and will make both if these.

1. In The Tailor and Her Recurring Customer, Nurse Red heart has 3 children and an OC husband.

2. In another story I will write, Octavia has an OC mother named Sonnet.

Ps, my tablet keeps putting "thus" for "this". Sorry.

That good idea, specialy with the lack of information we have on them.

Once had an idea for a Grandpa character that was a Veteran of the Griffin Wars.

In regards to parents I like to use the term quasi-OC since we know those characters have to exist (unless you subscribe to the idea that Celestia makes all the ponies out of clay and magic) but there is no actual canon character to fill in the role.

I have made them, Ambrosia Apple and Hamlin Orange are my OC parents for the Apple Siblings.

1948159 yeah, with OCs, I have 2 types. The placholder and the OC.
A placeholder is just the victim of circumstance and is necessary. Often they are understandably 1 dimensional and nobody minds them. The OC is made to be as intricate as a canon character, and unlike the Placeholder, it can star in a fic.

In Tailor, all of Redheart's children are placeholders at the time. But, Sonnet is an OC for the story she is in.

And I guess we can further divide them up in to TOC and QOC (True and Quasi). With the two I mentioned Hamlin would be a placeholder, I haven't invest anything beyond a name and his connection to Oranges (he's also dead), Ambrosia on the other hand I have invest time and effort into.

1948125>>1948137 Actually it's the best way to go I find. I tend to stay clear of possible 'cannon' issues, especially Scootafolks and Flutterparents (may be seen or mentioned into cannon in Season 4).

But I create to write and vice versa. :eeyup:

1948159 In my own works I used OC's of Apple Ridge and Orange Blossom for the Apple Parents, and Silken Sash for Diamond Tiara's mother. I've also named both parents for Spitfire and Soarin in one piece, just because of the use of formal naming structures for both Wonderbolts (Bloodline registry name based; Spitfire, by Hawker out of Siddeley, and Soarin, by Lief out of Serene Wind).

:pinkiehappy:

That's what makes this kind of fun, everyone has their own opinion on it... of course assuming that they put in the effort to make the character.

Every character needs an origin, and almost everyone is going to get that nagging urge to leave something magnificent in their wake.

1948448 Totally agree with that, I had to create the Apple parents for the sake of memories and family continuity in my writings, Apple Bloom, being named in a way for her mother. I've also done some inverse character modeling with the parents, Orange Bloom, a former rodeo pony, being the daughter of a Manehatten stock broker, and AJ consequently growing up hearing stories of mom's fillyhood in the big city. :ajsmug: I'm considering doing a one off about the meeting of Apple Ridge and Orange Bloom, but it's a little ways off.

It's just so much fun! :pinkiehappy:

Hamlin is Aunt Orange's twin brother and wanted to do something outside the family business. Ambrosia currently works in Canterlot and has for the past 10 years. She and AJ don't talk much

Your headcanon have the mother an orange? Finally, an equal!

In What's Really the Most Important, I have a teenage OC who's a mother as a result of a rape, a challenging subject in and of itself. She's the closest character I'd ever have as a personal OC, as her hardships only serve to give her great compassion and sympathy. I like the prospect of OC parents, or hell, parental fics in general.

1948351 like I said, some oc children can be complete messes, others are good characters. It Ll depends on the end results.

I must agree, though, while it would be nice to have some answers, making original characters are just so much more interesting!

With Sonnet, Octavia's mother, she is a diva of a beauty queen, Trotvian born and married to the Equestrian Ambassador to Trotvia.... But, what only a few people know is that she is a sleeper agent used to spy on Equestria, and defected when she had a mind-shattering revelation that she was going to be a mother

Now, do that with Rarity's mom or Granny Smith and it just sounds like a 2000 word crack comedy fic.

1948759 Yeah, I couldn't fit Mom's an Apple without almost making her AJ 0.5. There's no real precedent for matrilineality in the series, and making Ma Apple an Orange a allowed me to have AJ looking up to mom regardless of direction barn or borough.

1948961 Rarity's mom, was a cheerleader who got knocked up by the star backfield guard of a pro-hoofball team, and became a hairdresser and eventually a partner in her husband's Private Investigation business. Rarity's Dad = Magnum, P.I.

Mustache, Eyebrows, Loud Hawaiian Shirt, Go figure. :rainbowderp:

1949308 and a Detroit fan, so theres nothing wrong with that.

Funny thing is that I think his canon name is Magnum so the connection has been acknowledged by Hasbro

That's a lot more common that you think, honestly I think having the mother being an Apple is far less common than the father being one.

1949337 The only apple family story ve read involved big mac's mom dying, his father being abusive and raped Granny smith to have applejack and then, years later , granny smith used an extra room for a bed and breakfast amd had applebloom later... So... Technically AJ ( kinda) and Applebloom are Big Mac's aunts.

I meant more about the mother being an Orange. I figured th dad being an Apple was so widely spread it may as well be canon.

You need to read more Dance
Figured since we see Aunt and Uncle Orange it would be accepted that one of their parent's would be an Orange

1949637 if only I had the time, motivation, patience, or need.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21