Battlefield: Equestria 264 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 56 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 56
The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

This thread is dedicated to a sort of database. Each person may only post once. The comment will serve as your 'personal record'. You will fill out the comment with everything you want related to your participations in this group. You can always come back and edit the comment in the future for further additions.

For those that participate much in the group, you may be wondering what you've done so far. You may also be wondering what others have accomplished. This will help sort that out. It will also assist in rankings a bit.

And bragging rights. Feel free to do those as well. :twilightsmile:

---
Format
---

Personal Description (Rank, Self-insert OC/Ponysona, preferences in battles, etc.)
Note: Full OC descriptions go in the OC Directory. Only a basic overview here.
Note: "Rank" is now mostly defunct, as the group no longer uses a ranking system for members. However, much of the older members have kept their classic given rank from the earlier times. "Rank" according to Bloodpool is now what your OC's military rank is.

Battles Created

Battles Participated In

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Personal self-insert/OC: Stardust
OC's Rank: Captain (Royal Scouts), equal to standard military Colonel in power; Alt. Rank: Tenured Badass

I'm The Grey Pegasus. Also called 'TGP', 'GP', and 'Grey'. Essentially a co-founder of this group, with roots all the way back to the original Pony Warfare Group and the starts of the battle scenarios. Bloodpool was considerate enough to put Guardian and I as Generals in this group, due to our involvement back in the PWG. If you're wondering why I joined the group 2 weeks after them, it's because 2 weeks after the group was created, I accidentally hit the 'Leave Group' button, due to computer lag. And the terrible, terrible button layout from the FiMFic group format from those days.

I do much of the organizing here. I've done the most work on the front page of the group.

The now-gone human faction 'The Commonwealth' was mainly my creation. They're my preference of faction for human scenarios. I think I've self-appointed myself head of the Commonwealth battles and possibly a campaign if I decide to make one.

I also wrote the description for Princess/Master Assassin Cadance.

I have an immense will not to lose. Give me a 'you will die' scenario, and I'll find a way to come out alive. As Noyoki1 says, I pull a 'Captain Kirk'. Might as well, since I dislike the idea of a 'no-win scenario'.

My ponysona/self-insert is a grey pegasus (duh...) named Stardust. Stardust (I?) is (am?) a Royal Scout, ranked Captain. The Royal Scouts is Equestria's Special Intelligence and Reconnaissance Division. Essentially a Special Forces operative. Cutie mark is two cards of the ace of spades.

Due to Stardust's (my?) role as a Special Intelligence/Recon operative, it is not too uncommon for him to move with a main army force. Missions as a Royal Scout vary; from solo flights deep into enemy territory and infiltrating enemy compounds, a squad of Royal Scouts operating together, working with an army force to observe enemy positions, etc. He has more years of combat experience than any of the Element bearers, and having a Special Forces status qualifies him by Equestrian military doctrine to lead a battalion-sized force, along with being an exceptional fighter and strategist. Should he be given an order he deems reckless and/or suicidal, he will bail out (unless it is directly protecting one of the Element bearers) after insulting the pony that gave the order. He also believes in taking as minimal losses as possible; ponies are not expendable.

Battles Created:
Battle 003 UEE vs CH "The Swarm"
Notes: Large macro battle. It was an old scenario taken from the one I made in the PWG, before Bloodpool created a rule for army size. I allowed players to choose which side to strategize. I wrote the initial defense strategy.
Battle 011 CMW vs UEE "A 'Common' Objective"
Notes: Medium-sized battle. Battleground is an open field.
Battle 027 UEE/CE vs [Unknown] "Enemies Unknown"
Notes: Multi-step battle. Essentially a battle against me as the opposing 'AI'.

Combat Record:
-Battle 001 "River Rayne": Result- Officially unspecified, speculated victory.
-Battle 002 "Patrol Gone Wrong": Result- According to the creator, possibly defeated.
-Battle 003 "The Swarm": Result- Officially unspecified. Possible UEE victory.
-Battle 005 : Result- Plausible victory.
-Battle 006 "Banzai!!": Result- Officially unspecified, speculated victory.
-Battle 007 "Pinkie Pie Hill": Result- Tactical victory. Notable for (originally) being the only one to make it out with units alive, including Pinkie Pie. Also notable for derailing Noyoki1's planned storyline. As well as pulling a Captain Kirk, I guess you could say I did the impossible and pulled a James Bond. :raritywink:
-Battle 008 "Come on you apes!": Result- Officially unspecified, high chance of victory.
-Battle 009 "Crystal Rebellion": Result- Officially unspecified, high chance of victory.
-Battle 010 "Dogs of War": Result- Officially unspecified, high chance of victory.
-Battle 013 "None Shall Pass!": Result- Victory. Notable for being the longest strategy done so far (not anymore as of Battle #27), due to being in multiple parts instead of one whole strategy. Also having the most dynamic storyline. Props to Noyoki1 for cooperating with me and relaying combat results after each part. Wouldn't have been as fun without him.
-Battle 014 "Rescue in The Everfree": Result- Technical victory. Unicorns able to use fire is not confirmed, but plausible. Victory. Unicorns using fire is a confirmed ability.

-Battle 018 "A Simple Matter": Result- Officially unspecified, plausible victory.
-Battle 029 "Instrument of Vengeance": Result- Probable victory.
-Battle 030 "Quarrel in a Marsh": Result- most likely victory. Mass timberwolf op. :derpytongue2:

Comment posted by The Libertarian Brony deleted Nov 25th, 2013

Personal Description

Irongalley here, first joined the PWG and saw this thread about a battle simulator, needless to say, I joined! I've done my share of posts here in the group (many were sort of, maybe, kinda had to be corrected by Bloodpool or TGP since I didn't stick to the rules sometimes or made some mistakes) and I suggested the Crystal Pony faction!

My OC is a cream colored earth pony with two crossed rapiers for a cutie mark as well as a dark grey mane and tail. The guy's a mute and war galley captain (for obvious reasons). He enjoys long walks by the beach and ramming galleons at full speed with his war galley, the "Iron Ram". Dude's a complete mystery however and has always pictured himself dying alone in his ship's deck while being boarded. Always at home in the freedom of the seas, despises crowded cities and would rather die at sea than live inland. His crew ranges from zebras to ponies and gryphons.

I prefer open field battles, with large numbers of infantry ripping each other to pieces. I have a certain despise for all forms of artillery and ranged units however. Unless they are on board of a war vessel, in that case they are welcome with open arms!

Battles Created
Pride and Honor

Crystal Rebellion

Battles Participated In

All except
11 CMW vs UEE "A 'Common' Objective"
6 CMW vs CH "Banzai!!"
5 UEE vs CH
2 UEE vs GHE "Patrol Gone Wrong"

Guardian
Group Admin

Guardian

Personall Description: Pretty much the same as GP, I'm essentially a co-founder of this group. I helped organize this group with Bloodpool and GP. I've been working with those guys since all the way back in the PWG, we're kind of like the big three. :rainbowlaugh:

I'm the creater of The Pack, being the dog-lover that I am. :twilightblush: In fact, Rex, Ace, and Yankee, believe it or not, are all modeled after real-life dogs who have been I part of my family. Rex is modeled after my first do, Buddy, Ace is directly modeled after my current dog, Ace (duh). Finally, Yankee is modeled after a dog my Dad once had when we was a kid, who was also named... what else? Yankee. :rainbowlaugh:

OC: Marcus "Sledgehammer" Ramirez

Species: Human

Appearence: A tall and solidly built human with a burn mark on the side of his face.

Background: He's an elite international Agent for the Empire of Man, born and raised in the southern Human mountains until his town was destroyed by a Dragon. After being drafted and serving in the Imperial Army for many years, he was selected as an Imperial Agent. He spent much of his time as an Agent in Equestria and considers it his home away from home. He was heavily trained all his life in marksmenship, martial arts, parkour, a hunting. He is one of the Empires most elite Agents. He also has a brother and sister, Peter and Serina, who are also Imperial Agents.

Personality: Calm, level-headed, and humorous at times. However, when the threat of war or battle looms over, he will instantly change to cold, calculating, and somewhat bossy, yet still manages to keep his cool. Because of his childhood tragedy, he is still slightly traumatized and pyrophobic, though years of mental training have helped him keep it under control.

Battles created: "Omaha Beach" a battle I created in the PWG. Not a very good one, though. :applejackunsure:

"Historical Battle"

"Dogs of War" (which I will expand upon. :twilightsmile:)

Battles Participated in: I tend to be slow with these things, so I haven't done that much. :applejackunsure: However, it's late here and I don't feel like going through which ones I've done.

Rank: Sergent (last reported from Bloodpool). unoffically ranked Captain
OCs:
1. His name is Quick Wit. He is a unicorn with a Coquelicot body and arsenic colored mane and tail. His 'Stallion Stamp' (it's what the guys call it) is that of the Thinking Man statue (except in a pony fashion). He grew up in a orphanage and learned to survive as a child. At the age of 18 he joined the United Equestrian Empire in order to go through college (gotta love those Army Programs) and is majoring in philosophy and literature (minor in history). His sharp intellect has proven to be an asset and has climbed the ranks to that of a captain. Quick Wit is a rather approachable fellow and is just as quick with a joke as he is to get into a civil debate with you. He is often called Q or Q-ball by his friends. He is now 26 and is due up for re-enlisting but is unsure as to whether or not he wishes to stay after the horrors his unit seen on the southern fronts against the changelings (it was a total route and even worse retreat)

2. Normally, he wouldn't have a name. Normally, he would be one of thousands in a collective. Normally, if one was to acquire a name they would also have a high ranking position with-in the hive. As it stands, Trick is one of the last surviving members of the last hive to fall before Chrysalis and has come about something very unique: being a changeling with a complete will of his own. He never expected to find himself with such freedom and the silence in his mind nearly drove him insane. It's been 25 years since then, and with nothing driving his primary existence beyond survival, he has fallen into the way of piracy, where no questions are asked and he is allowed to be whatever he wants to be. Trick is now 40- remarkably old for a common changeling drone- is still quite deft at changing his appearance (though he can only take on the appearance of someone only as young as 30 if he pushed himself), is blunt about most things, swears like a sailor, and can outmaneuver any ship with his own custom Interceptor class ship named, in his own humor, The Changeling. It only has 1 catapult in place of better sails and sailing equipment along with more space for more pirates (housing a total of 50 [less catapults means less heavy weight, meaning more agility and more storage space for other things such as pirates or special Ballista ammo- such as "greek fire" and special grappling hooks]). The Changeling runs with a mixed crew ranging from outcast ponies of the United Equestrian Empire to murderous scum of the Greater Human Empire.
Trick also has a First Mate named "Ice Beak" that is cold and calculating and wields a mace and crossbow when going into battle

3. Ice Beak was a hippogriff. He was treated as a second-class citizen in the Gryphon Empire and accepted as so. This didn't mean that he was quiet or shameful or even retarded as other gryphons would have people believe, rather he was a carefully (some might say coldly) calculating hippogrif that would test the limits of things he could get away with. Needless to say he spent most of his life as some form of pick-pocket or household thief until one day he got caught in the act and had to flee. Unfortunately for him, the particular gryphon he was robbing was powerful and had the funds to back up a manhunt that could have spread across borders. Ice was finally cornered in a small town called Raven Loft when Trick and his pirate crew came along to plunder Raven Loft. A few sword exchanges (the hands on interview; even Trick knew of the bounty on Beaks head) later and Trick accepted Ice Beak into the crew where he would, in just one year, prove that he was worthy to be the first mate of the pirate ship The Changeling

Ponysona: none

Current activity: Apparently turning The Grey Pegasus into my unwitting counter-part in a story campaign. Attempting to pull others into the campaign as well. Marginally successful

Notable creations for units: None that I am aware of

Battle Sims created:
Battle #2: Patrol Gone Wrong
Battle #7: Pinkie Pie Hill- This is Chapter One of the story campaign that I am writing out
Battle #13: None Shall Pass- Chapter Two of the story campaign that I am writing out

Battles Participated in:
Battle #1: The River Rayne- assumed victory
Battle #6: Banzai!- assumed victory
Battle #7: Pinkie Pie Hill- tactical victory, total casualties
Battle #9: Crystal Rebellion- victory assumed
Battle #15: Jungle Trek, Jungle Trap- tactical victory assumed, still fleeing baddies
512225 agree to a point of contension on battle 2 and we could continue it at a later date on, otherwise flip a coin for win or loss

Bloodpool
Group Admin

Seems like every time I go offline, I come back and there's a whole heap of new threads. :derpyderp2::twilightsheepish:

I'll get around to doing one of these myself at some point. :twilightsmile:

Bloodpool
Group Admin

512225 Here we are, found it at long last. (Please note that my OC's rank doesn't actually equate to my rank on the group.)

Anyway, as you may have noticed, I'm the creator of this group, and the idea of pony-related combat simulations. The idea for the simulations sprang from a late-night session on Medieval Total War 2. I was playing in an online match. I was watching a unit of mounted knights smash into some unsuspecting longbowmen, and I suddenly thought "What if this, but with ponies?" It essentially grew from there, starting in the PWG and finally moving to it's current location here, in this group. There's not much more to say, save that GP and Guardian have both been instrumental in the creation of this group, and I have come to consider them as good friends.

Anyway, a story surrounding the factions featured in the scenarios is slowly being created, but don't expect to see it anytime soon; it still has a way to go before it's anywhere near finished.

Ponypersona:

Name: Wind Rush

Species: Gryphon

Appearance: Blinded in the left eye. Because of this, he wears an eyepatch. He wears a plain steel breast plate (It lacks a backplate to allow use of his wings). Finaly, he wears a black tricorn hat, with a blood-red feather on the right-hand side of the hat. He carries a cutlass and a large crossbow.

Background: Wind-Rush is the Captian of the mercenary vessel "The Red Wind". He rose to this position by staging a mutiny and brutaly murdering the previous Captian. He lost his eye in a drunken bar brawl.

Personality: Cunning, greedy, ambitious and totaly lacking a moral compass, no act is too despicable or vile for Wind Rush. While he mainly relies on his crew to do the dirty work for him, he isn't afraid to step in and do it himself.

Ponysona: Jack
Species: Alicorn
Appearance: Wingless & hornless, still tall and solidly built. Dirt-brown coat, dark-brown mane and tail.
Fights with one of two straight-blades, wears maille and helm (see profile pic).
Background: Unknown to all but the princesses, Discord and a close few.
Personality: Introverted, favors solitude, fiercely loyal and a staunch protector. Cursed with undeath, he knows no fear...

Battles Created:
NA

War Scenarios Created:
Invasion Equestria

Battles Participated In:
Battle 19# "The fall or the rise?" - Officially Unspecified - Suspected Victory.
Battle 25# "To the last breath!" - Unwinnable - Died With Honor

Bloodpool
Group Admin

>Alicorn OC
>No wings or horn
>mfw

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

That's because Bloodpool deleted it. It was getting a bit unorganized on the front page anyways, with a huge list of members just obnoxious.

681479 MFW people jump to conclusions...

Bloodpool
Group Admin

681815 Ranks are now only added in relation to your OC. If you want him to be a captian, he's a captian. So on and so forth.

681837 Ah, thanks...but I don't think Jack would/ could ever have a rank since according to his sisters, he doesn't exist... :applejackunsure:

Can the Iron Galley be an Admiral? :rainbowkiss:

Speaking of which, I have been on the works for a few vessels of massive awesome destruction and whatnot for the naval units, will post thread for ideas though. :twilightsmile:

Also, I've been meaning to introduce a monetary system to the scenarios, mainly for the lols. :pinkiecrazy:

682223 681837

Pleas do Bloodpool because then it gives me an excuse to post this

Personal Description.

OC name: Starfield

A supporting commander who prefers to be drawing up insane strategies in the war room but will go out on the field of battle when needed. He's an accomplished sniper with his horn laser and his gift for manipulating light allows him to either cloak himself or remotely cloak his allies from a short distance away. Never was very good in a close up fight, his mind is a far better asset than his fighting skill so expect him to be very far away from the fight. His stealthiness tends to help him in scouting when needed as well.

Battles Created: none

Battles Participated In: #9 Crystal rebellion (Equestrian side) - Victory, though at a cost. Shining survived at least.
Currently involved in #27 Enemies Unknown - Holding strong in sector 2, enemy commander trapped with two alicorn princesses.

Guardian
Group Admin

811131 Um... we don't have ranks anymore. :unsuresweetie:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Actually, ranks are according to what your OC's military rank is apparently, but most of us up there just keep our classic given rank.

Guardian
Group Admin

812734 Oh, well, in that case, Marcus Ramirez holds the rank of Special Agent-in-Charge (SAC), along with the defunct Army rank of Captain.

... I should probably replace Wind Rider with him on my record.

That'd be awkward if there was another pegasus mare called Wind.

Because then, Wind Rider... :rainbowkiss: get it? Get it? Ok no... :derpytongue2:

As you may now know, my name is Hothead112. I’m currently taking a creative writing elective course at Spruce Mountain High School in Jay, Maine. I like respect, it makes me feel loved. I need this because I don’t have very many friends. :rainbowlaugh: Anyway, I like to ambush my opponents, drive into them with a wedge formation, or outmaneuver them to gain the upper hand.
Battles Created: None yet, still in the planning stages of my new campaign. (Almost done, by the way.)

OC/Ponysona:
Name/Species: Lunar Aegis/Pegasus
Rank: Colonel (NLR; Equivalent of Colonel in the US Marines.), Commander (LUNA; Equivalent of Lieutenant General in the US Marines.)
Branch: Commander of the New Lunar Republic Ground Forces.
Appearance: Dark-grey coat; navy blue and black mane and tail; amber eyes; cutie mark is a black shield with three swords crossed behind it and a blue crescent moon on the front.
Background: Lunar Aegis was, seemingly, a normal pony. Other than the fact that he was bullied incessantly, anyways. He finally retaliated, but only incited worse treatment to be brought upon himself. Finally, the last straw was drawn when the bullies targeted his mother. That's when he discovered the supernatural abilities that had been granted to him by the Night. Shortly after, he ran away from home and learned to control his abilities. After a couple years of intense training, Lunar Aegis returned to his hometown, Ponyville, and became a vigilante. He picked off anypony who treated another wrongly. Eventually, he was tracked down by the current commander of LUNA and offered a job. He took it and gradually rose up through the ranks until he became the new commander. He joined the NLR officially and was given a position as the commander of the Ground Forces.
Personality: Loyal to a fault, great strategic planner, always 99.9% honest, recognizes the trouble his soldier's go through and fights beside them in battle.
Battles Participated In: None. Yet.
Weapons: Wingblades and Hoofclaws
Affiliations: Close friends with Wind Rider. Has a half-demon brother named Corrupted Shadow.
Spells and Special Abilities: Lunar is very fast and is imbued with electric power. He can teleport between shadows, become a cloud of incorporeal shadows for a few minutes, can imbue his wings with electricity so that he can fly faster for 30 seconds, can imbue his weapons with electricity to do more damage, and he can release a large burst of electricity, hitting all nearby enemies. This attack leaves him dazed for a minute.

OC:
Name/Species: Hothead/Pegasus
Rank: First Lieutenant (Equivalent of Major in the US Marines.)
Branch: Member of the Royal Scouts
Appearance: Solidly built; dark-blue coat; flame colored mane and tail; amber eyes; cutie mark is a white shield with a black sword on it.
Background: Hothead was a very athletic pony before he joined the UEE, he still is in fact. He loves competing against others but knows that it’s all in good fun. Except war. Hothead has been through hell and back, receiving 20+ years of military service for his efforts. Hothead is now 38 years old and has finally been promoted high enough to command a battlefield of troops.
Personality: Loses his temper easily, great strategic planner, loves the thrill of battle, always fights on the front lines with his men.
Battles Participated In: Battle #7 (Plausible Victory), Battle #13 (Unfinished)
Weapons: Wing-Blades
Affiliations: Knows who Captain Stardust is and commanded a platoon next to him in battle. Lightning Nova’s older brother.
Spells and Special Abilities: Hothead is very agile and has good reflexes, allowing him to dodge half the projectiles launched at him. Hothead can also pull the shadows around him like a cloak, moving across seemingly open space undetected with no cover as long as it is nighttime and there are shadows shifting on the ground.

OC:
Name/Species: Lightning Nova/Unicorn
Rank: First Sergeant (Equivalent of Sergeant Major in the US Marines.)
Branch: Member of the Royal Unicorn Guards
Appearance: Slightly built; steel grey coat; navy blue and yellow mane and tail; sapphire eyes.
Background: Lightning Nova was more academic than athletic before he joined the UEE. Even after battle training, he’s still smarter than he is strong. Nova is a new commander and has little to no experience in a real situation. He’s only been through one year of service so far. Lightning Nova is 19 years old and just came out of officer training a year ago.
Personality: Great strategic planner, calm and collected most of the time, likes winning battles but doesn’t like experiencing them for himself, prefers to sit back and plan while his soldiers do all the fighting.
Battles Participated In: Battle #27
Weapons: Sword
Affiliations: Hothead’s little brother.
Spells and Special Abilities: Blink - Use magic to move very rapidly over a short distance. Magic Bolt - Basic bolt of magic every guard knows. Pyrotechnics - Can summon fire at will, can also shoot a fireball three times a day. Levitation - Can lift up to 100 pounds without touching the object, every guard knows this. Cloak - Has the ability to conceal himself in shadows as long as he doesn’t move. Heal - Can heal others or himself of moderate wounds, nothing mortal/fatal. As well as the spells described previously, Lightning Nova can perform minor tricks. When confronted by a difficult situation, Lightning Nova can seclude himself for one hour and be given a hint as to what needs to be done.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Royal Scout operative? :trixieshiftright:

Yeah, the Royal Scout thing that you came up with sounded cool, so I wanted to be one as well.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Okay. Well you might at least want to know some more about the Royal Scouts as I've made them to be:

From the Units Discussion thread:

At the core, they're like the CIA Special Activities Division. At least, that's what Special Intel and Recon is.

The Royal Scouts is a more combat-oriented subdividion and tend to operate more as military than spooks. They're a glorified mix of USMC Scout Snipers and USAF Combat Control (I think it's called Combat Control at least).

And because of the All Types of Rain influence on some of my creations, they're also somewhat US Special Forces (I mean, just look at my avatar pic). If I ever get to it in AToR, I personally say that we're the 'Studies and Observation Group'. And throw in some British SAS in there too.

Stardust's character profile I wrote up for Bloodpool; also contains informative stuff.

Royal Scouts Special Intelligence and Reconnaissance Division Identity Profile [Abriged]: Stardust

Stardust is an operative of the Royal Intelligence Agency's Special Intelligence and Reconnaissance Division, specifically the Royal Scouts. His specific unit is the 1st Royal Scout Division. His rank of Captain in the Royal Scouts holds the same power and authority as Colonel in the regular Equestrian military, as do all ranks above Captain.
He is a gray pegasus of classified origins. In fact, his entire life consists of very interesting things. He claims and is confirmed that he was formerly a human until they were somehow wiped out and some subsequently transplanted in Equestria. From there, he is also apparently a universe jumper, an approved action by his home Equestria universe.
Like other human-ponies in Equestria now, his personality is slightly different to native Equestrians. They have certain prowess in combat and violence and the willingness to execute such things that is not easily found in Equestrians.
As with all Royal Scout operatives, he has an Augmented Reality Cognition Assistance Neural Enhancement Implant in his brain. In short, it speeds up the thinking process and modifies his vision to see information and notifications of certain field elements. The ARCANE Implant in no way improves his physical abilities, though it does assist in faster reaction times.
His personal fighting style seems to prefer quick movement, taking advantage of pegasi wings. He uses his speed to dash in or out of combat, dodge attacks, and perform attacks of his own. He also prefers using a combat knife, held in his teeth. His principle of fighting is quick and efficient. Due to his... background, he also has training in firearms.

Addendum: Yes, I have a brain implant. It's really cool. Because HUDs are cool. Which, in technical terms, is actually Augmented Reality in this usage. Which is cool. Deal with it. -Captain Stardust.

And what exactly the ARCANE Implant is (it's pretty darn long):

Royal Scouts Special Intelligence and Reconnaissance Division Database: Augmented Reality Cognition Assistance Neural Enhancement Implant (ARCANE)

All Royal Scout operatives contain the Augmented Reality Cognition Assistance Neural Enhancement Implant, or, the ARCANE Implant, in their brains. It is placed in between the two brain halves and is mainly connected to the occipital lobe, where visual information from the eyes are processed.
The ARCANE was proposed by Royal Scout operative Stardust five years ago, and when presented to the crown for consideration, was given research funding immediately. After many tests, Stardust was the first to get the fully operational unit implanted.
The Royal Scouts were originally the only widely used application of what used to fully be called the Royal Scout ARCANE Implant, due to it being originally developed for them. Interestingly, this also restricted its use to pegasi, as the Royal Scouts were an all-pegasus unit (a tradition the 1st Royal Scout Division still holds). Use has now spread to other Equestrian special operation units and, consequently, other races.
The ARCANE Implant consists of a special chip made of a crystal found only in the Crystal Empire, due to it having very specific properties. The implant connects different parts of the brain and routes it all to the visual processing area of the brain.
The purpose of the ARCANE is to decrease reaction time by accelerating certain thought processes and displaying them in the eyesight. The ARCANE by itself is mostly nothing, as it relies completely on the brain for function. The implant is essentially just a work manager that 'rewires' the brain to be more efficient and effective. Note that efficiency only improves to the intelligence level of the pony themselves; the more intelligent the pony, the faster possible maximum processing speed.
To reiterate, the ARCANE is an enhancement made to smoothen and quicken mental work flow. It allows the brain to use subconscious areas as computation processors. The ARCANE has no ability to provide additional thoughts or control muscle movements. The pony's mind and body is still entirely under their control.
The first purpose of the ARCANE is to take commands from the conscious brain, or in some cases, the subconscious. From there, it reduces 'manual' mental processing for certain tasks by routing the task to a subconscious area of the brain where the task is done without conscious thoughts interfering. It is most useful for statistics-related tasks, though in general, is a thought-assistance implant that works on other thoughts normally. Once processed, the result is fed back to the conscious mind.
The second purpose and essentially the main functionality of the ARCANE is to increase reaction speed by modifying how visual sensory information is interpreted in the brain, automatically adding informative overlays mentally, the main reason for it to be connected to the visual processing area of the brain. The display works on active elements in the field of vision, highlighting objects or areas of importance.
The pony also has the option to display prioritized information in the eyesight, just by thinking it. The information feed allows important data in the conscious or subconscious to be effectively 'visible' to the pony, keeping them more aware of the situation.
Some functions of the ARCANE Implant (note that effectiveness of function is somewhat dependent on the intelligence of the pony):
As pertaining to thought processes:
-Automatic statistical calculations. One of the most emphasized functions that Stardust insisted on in the original proposition. Simple arithmetic is near-instantaneous with the aptitude Royal Scouts hold.
-Improved retainment of sensory information. Essentially, the pony needs to only pay slight attention to something to remember it. Example would be barely overhearing a conversation.
-Enhanced memorization and learning. Time needed to memorize and learn certain things is easier, due to the implant being able to find such information in the subconscious.
-Enhanced memory recall. As stated above, the ARCANE is able to retrieve memories buried in the mind more effectively.
-Conversational help. Conversational suggestions can be laid out to read in the vision. Proficiency of ability dependent on experiences and personality of pony, and logic processing.
-Miscellaneous processing.
As pertaining to visual augmentations:
-Information feed. Thoughts and variables can be displayed in the eyesight. Usually done through importance of information, though easily overridden by conscious 'requests' and subconscious 'approval' of the 'request'.
-Entity identification system. Reliant on current knowledge of the pony, though can also display generally detailed descriptions based on logical assumptions and observations. Example of ability is showing a label and basic information of anything from plants to weapons.
-Ally/Hostile (and Neutral) identification and marker. Any living entity of note will be marked in the vision. Marking and shown information dependent on priority of entity. Also color coded for friendly/hostility levels. Helpful during battle, at longer ranges, and night operations. Note that losing sight of entity will affect information processed. Blinking may also affect it.
-Objective marker. Marks mission objectives when applicable.
-Flight assistance. Being designed originally for pegasus use, the ARCANE has been helping in flight for its entire history. Shows useful data for flying. Dependent on experience of pegasus.
-Range/distance, time, and ballistic estimates and overlay simulations. Accuracy of computation not only depends on intelligence, but also time taken to process information.

The ARCANE visual augmentation aspect is initially created and subsequently modified by the pony, allowing it to conform with their personality. Every aspect of the appearance of the overlays are created by the pony to their pleasing. After all, it is still their own mind. The visual additions can be toggled on or off instantaneously with a subconscious approval of the action. The same goes for the information overlays and amount and type of information displayed. In fact, using the ARCANE itself to expedite mental processes can also be toggled the same way.
The ARCANE, due to only being an enhancement of the brain, is dependent on the state of the brain. Drowsiness and injury are among the things that can affect performance, as they would to the brain normally. Should the implant ever be disabled or destroyed, the brain can still function perfectly normally if it is in healthy condition. However, the pony may find the process of doing everything 'manually' once again quite sluggish. Therefore, it is recommended that the pony periodically 'turn off' the ARCANE and exercise their mind without the acceleration assistance.
Due to the nature of the ARCANE, it has additional abilities that were not exactly in its specific design plans. Stardust, for example, has studied music and is able to process and visualize it as such when heard. Other Royal Scouts have reported similar functions. Another reported the ARCANE assisting him by displaying what he was thinking would be the best way to hammer in nails while fixing his roof.
As noted above, the implant continues to work in mundane every day scenarios. Most Royal Scouts give it a high approval rating for home life. Many report it useful in daily life even when not on active duty; others add that it is an "entertaining" feature. Some others say it can be intrusive and prefer to turn it off.
Also, due to the internalized function nature of the ARCANE, it has no ability to be tracked. However, special versions, including the Royal Scout ARCANE unit, have the ability to transmit a signal should the operative become deceased.
Related testing is underway to attempt using inherent pony magic in a way to sense the presence of certain entities around the pony, allowing for improved situational awareness. With the ARCANE, such senses could be displayed on a map of the surrounding area of the pony.

Addendum: Basically, it's an HUD integrated into my head. Which is actually called Augmented Reality. This is a neural interface. The functions are inspired by many things, from real life to movies and video games. Personally for me, the aesthetic of my visual overlays are based on Ghost Recon: Future Soldier... Ponies may not understand what the heck I just said means, but I know who will. -Captain Stardust

Wow. :rainbowderp:
That is a lot of info.
But I read it all! Thanks for the added information to use with my OC's background, and for not immediately yelling at me when I said he was a Royal Scout.

Guardian
Group Admin

838030 Wait, come to think of it, since Wind Rider is a Royal Spec-Ops operative, does that technically mean he also has an ARCANE implant? Or is it exclusive to Royal Scouts? (Or, we could say he's a former Royal Scout who was selected for Royal Special Forces.)

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Well, I could say it's either
A. A different universe, so the circumstances are different.
B. A little bit more into the future, so use of it has actually spread. In fact, the ARCANE document might be outdated. :derpytongue2:
C. A combination of both.

Guardian
Group Admin

920399 Perhaps once a soldier reaches "elite" status, they receive an implant. Or, Stardust, Lunar Aegis, and Wind Rider were all in the same squad as Royal Scouts until Wind Rider moved to Special Forces.

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Honestly, I'm not too sure. Much of the problem is that I never really gave too much thought to the 'ARCANE being specific to the Royal Scouts outside of my home AU' idea (which, I might actually start writing this summer).

So far, the most qualified one for an ARCANE is Hothead. Lunar Aegis is a part of LUNA. Royal Scouts don't seem to have a database entry on them, so I can't really say... :derpytongue2:

Guardian
Group Admin

920411 I think it would be a good idea if we come up with some kind of backstory on how our characters all know each other, if they do. What do you think?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

Now that part, me and Goldenwing were working on resolving in OC Discussions. It also justifies the weird anachronisms that we are most likely going to face.

Guardian
Group Admin

920419 I take that as a 'yes'. :ajsmug: BTW, that new art is awesome! :rainbowdetermined2:

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

The rifle covers most of it up, but I tried to make it winter tiger stripe/ERDL. I can't make it white, or else it blends too much with my coat. :rainbowlaugh: Well, I suppose I can try anyways. Later.

Guardian
Group Admin

920441 For a second, I thought it actually was your coat. :rainbowlaugh:

Seriously though, how would Wind Rider and Stardust have met?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

If same universe, then probably while stationed in Canterlot or something. But not likely- the home universe is actually pretty peaceful.

More likely- another universe on a mission, or also while in Canterlot.

Final option, easiest to explain- if we take the idea me and Goldenwing were writing up, my modified Project Unity idea.

Do you want info on LUNA? You sounded a little upset at the lack of intel.

We already know that Lunar Aegis and Wind Rider met in Whitetail, correct?
P.S: I'll come up with the backstory of that if you want. I'll actually post it as a story and make a thread that has it linked.

Guardian
Group Admin

922935 I was thinking we knew each other before that. You were badly wounded in Whitetail woods and I saved your life.

Alright, I can work with that. Then I'll owe you a debt until I save your life during the scenario. :scootangel:

Guardian
Group Admin

923003 No dept necessary. :scootangel: Although that would be a good event in a future storyline, for the sake of friendship.

boredhooman
Group Admin

920463>>923003>>923039
Well Jack is from the home-grown BF:E universe we've been using in the battles. So there's that.

Also, should we restrict future RPs to only have technology and knowledge from the BF:E universe? I kind of assumed we would since this is the, you know, BF:E group.

Guardian
Group Admin

923067 I would say about as far as the 1940's, WWII era.

boredhooman
Group Admin

But that's still way more advanced than the BF:E universe. The Human Empire still uses muzzle-loading flintlocks (albeit probably paper cartridges).

Guardian
Group Admin

923087 But they have auto-gyros, a land cruiser (which reminds me of that German super-tank that I don't remember the name of) and the original factions had tanks around WWII era and anti-tank rifles. I don't know, perhaps that tech would be exclusive to humans. Plus, who says we can't think outside the box?

boredhooman
Group Admin

Technology is not linear. When you straight say "WWII" everyone thinks bolt actions, M1 Garands, (good) tanks, electronics... Just better to go to the Unit Guide.

Guardian
Group Admin

923136 Uhhhh... of course they have electronics, as if it ain't obvious.

boredhooman
Group Admin

Who has electronics?

The Grey Pegasus
Group Admin

The way me and Goldewing were thinking, we might have a multiple-AU system, where we could vary how missions work. Some missions have tech restrictions, others don't.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 56