Ponies, Big and Small 1,138 members · 1,050 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

I've been trying to conceive of an alternative universe for Equestria where a selection of good equines are giants, but they are split into four categories, each proportionately larger than the last. Unfortunately I'm quite certain that the third category should be 63,360 times bigger than normal ponies but can't figure an accurate value that would ensure proportionate scaling between them and the two smaller categories.

I've tried 72, but that would mean a scale of 1:72:5,184:373,248:26,873,856 and attempting to find the fundamental value for scaling by using the square root proved to be seriously flawed.

First let me ask you which ponies you're planning to put in each of those four categories

if you want every next category to see the previous as the same proportional size down as the others then your trying to solve 1/x = x/x2 = x2/x3 with x3=63360 so you need a cube root to solve for x if third category means the first category is the first scale up.

Lets say that b is five times bigger than a, c is five times bigger than b, and d is five times bigger than c. b=5a. c=5b. d=5c. Define a, and you can calculate the rest that way.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get to 63360 in the first place?

Anyway, the cube root of 63360 is 39.8662, so roughly 40.

1 40 1600 64000 2560000

Does that help?

you could just keep it simple nonmale pony then, "amazon" pony (twice the size of normal), larger ponies witch is 4 times the size of a normal, giant pony big enough to hold a pony in hoof, and lastly colossus ponies witch are basically like living buildings

Current options with rough estimates of scale:

Option 1

Category A Giants (bigger than Equestria): Princess Celestia & Princess Luna
Category B Giants (hooves 5-6 miles wide): The Mane 6
Category C Giants (hooves bigger than houses): Big Macintosh, Zecora, Cheerilee, Derpy, Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, Vinyl Scratch, Mrs Cake, Soarin', Spitfire, Aloe, Lotus and... one more!
Category D Giants (ponies are no more than 2" by comparison): Maud Pie, Marble Pie, Fleetfoot, Caramel, the CMC, Rose, Daisy, Lily, Pipsqueak... and another 7.

Option 2

Category A Giants: Princess Celestia
Category B Giants: Princess Luna, Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy
Category C Giants: Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Zecora, Big Macintosh and Cheerilee.
Category D Giants: Lyra, Bon Bon, Octavia, Vinyl Scratch, Derpy, Mrs Cake, Soarin', Spitfire and (possibly) Maud Pie.

OMG, that's it! The key value is 40!

Category D Giants: Average height is 200', hoof width is 16' 8", a normal pony would appear to be about 1½"
Category C Giants: Average height is 1mi 2,720', hoof width is 666' 8", a normal pony would appear to be a little under 1mm
Category B Giants: Average height is 60mi 3,200', hoof width is 5mi 266' 8", a normal pony would appear to be a little under 24µm
Category A Giants: Average height is 2,424mi 1,280', hoof width is 202mi 106' 8", a normal pony would appear to be a little over 595nm

How did I get the figure of 63,360? Well, there are 5,280' in a mile, so in order for a hoof to be between 5 and 6 miles across a pony would have to be measured in miles where normal-sized ones are measured in inches.

Ah, makes sense.

I dont usually work with miles and Yards and stuff, i only learned the metric System, where everything is converted by adding "0"s and periods.

PS id prefer the Option with the mane six together in one class, and the royal Sisters in a league of their own.

Yeah, that was my second idea but I listed it first because it made more sense, plus how quickly I ran out of characters that seemed suitable once I reached a total of twenty.

I opted for imperial measurements because I was raised on them, and as such, struggle to visualise quantities given in metric that exceed the smallest available value for imperial measurements.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10